TLC Tips

Edited Date/Time 9/18/2015 3:42pm
Working on tearing down my bike and giving it some TLC and cleaning it up as best I can. I have seen a bunch of you guys with crazy clean bikes and was wondering what your tips are to cleaning the engine, frame, hoses, and everything else. Thanks in advance.
|
BAMX
9/13/2015 7:17pm
Clean the bike with Shout laundry stain remover. Also, radiators and other cast parts get nice with Eagle One Mag Wheel Cleaner.
K-dubbb
9/14/2015 6:07am
The key is to staying on top of it! Once you have it clean, keep it clean by washing it after you ride it and getting good products such as simple green or Shout.

Here is mine, after a full resto and 11 hours on it, always stay on top of it.

TX_187
9/14/2015 7:31am Edited Date/Time 9/14/2015 7:33am
I used a dremmel tool with a scotch brite attachment and some WD-40 when I had mine apart. Seemed to work really well on the engine and frame. I'd be careful using Simple Green. It's really strong stuff and can discolor anodized parts over time. The moto wash from Motul works really if you're just giving the bike a bath after a ride. It's strong enough to get the dirt off, but not too strong where it will etch or discolor anything. Just my opinion

I do agree with K-dubb on staying on top of it though. Makes things a lot easier when you wash it after every ride.

http://www.motosport.com/motul-moto-wash
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
9/14/2015 5:32pm
SC1 is a great help after you get it to where you want. Helps to keep stains off and to come clean a little easier

The Shop

Slosh 112
9/15/2015 12:40pm
+1 for staying on top of it.
I always wash my bike on the same day I rode it. I take the seat and tank off so I can inspect everything, and blow off all the water when your done with an air blower so that it doesn't sit in crevices, then I spray the whole bike (minus the seat, brakes & grips) with WD-40 or equivalent.

Its worth noting if you hit it with a pressure washer that you have the possibility of pushing water past seals and into bearings, I strip and regrease the whole bike every 6 months or so, its about a weekends job but I justify it coz my 2 1/2 yr old bike still looks new...
bronwynrayne
9/16/2015 8:31pm
imoto34 wrote:
SC1 is a great help after you get it to where you want. Helps to keep stains off and to come clean a little easier
SC1 is a lifesaver.

When I clean my bike I rinse it off nice, get the dust and dirt off and soak any mud, and use my chain brush with a little degreaser to clean the chain off. Then use a scrubby with WD40 on the plastics, and spray the thing down with simple green general use cleanser (it's not citrus based so it doesn't discolour parts). Rinse well. Finish with WD40 on the chain and SC1 on the plastics, under the fenders aswell.

jhansen510
Fantasy
3595th
9/16/2015 10:18pm
imoto34 wrote:
SC1 is a lifesaver. When I clean my bike I rinse it off nice, get the dust and dirt off and soak any mud, and use...
SC1 is a lifesaver.

When I clean my bike I rinse it off nice, get the dust and dirt off and soak any mud, and use my chain brush with a little degreaser to clean the chain off. Then use a scrubby with WD40 on the plastics, and spray the thing down with simple green general use cleanser (it's not citrus based so it doesn't discolour parts). Rinse well. Finish with WD40 on the chain and SC1 on the plastics, under the fenders aswell.

Had me til Simple Green. Swap with Shout and get back to us with a review. You can thank Camp for the tip but I share it when given the opportunity as it that good for a moto cleaner!
bronwynrayne
9/17/2015 9:17am
imoto34 wrote:
SC1 is a lifesaver. When I clean my bike I rinse it off nice, get the dust and dirt off and soak any mud, and use...
SC1 is a lifesaver.

jhansen510 wrote:
Had me til Simple Green. Swap with Shout and get back to us with a review. You can thank Camp for the tip but I share...
Had me til Simple Green. Swap with Shout and get back to us with a review. You can thank Camp for the tip but I share it when given the opportunity as it that good for a moto cleaner!
I'll check it out. Simple Green has two formulas though, one is a degreaser and the other is a general use cleaner, I use the latter as it is gentle. Shout is expensive, and we go through a lot of cleaner having two bike cleaning primadonnas in the household.
9/18/2015 12:38pm
Shout + SC1 = Amazing. Wish I had figured that out when I lived around dirt with high clay content.
YZed250
9/18/2015 3:42pm
Lots of good ideas so far.
Hose first, then dilute Dawn platinum detergent about 10:1 and small hand brush. Scotch bright aluminum frame, oxidation, rust spots and exhaust. Rinse, and wipe dry, apply WD-40 to hard parts. Armorall works great on plastics as an alternative to SC1.

Post a reply to: TLC Tips

The Latest