Spoke Torque Wrench

2/23/2015 8:55am Edited Date/Time 2/24/2015 5:13am
Looking to buy a torque wrench and it looks like the Fasst is no longer available. I have found an Excel but you have to buy a lot of the heads separate. I also found an OTC that comes with all head sizes but it had horrible reviews on amazon. I know from my automotive background that OTC is generally good stuff so looking for some input if you have either of these.
|
dogger315
2/23/2015 9:11am
809 wrote:
Looking to buy a torque wrench and it looks like the Fasst is no longer available. I have found an Excel but you have to buy...
Looking to buy a torque wrench and it looks like the Fasst is no longer available. I have found an Excel but you have to buy a lot of the heads separate. I also found an OTC that comes with all head sizes but it had horrible reviews on amazon. I know from my automotive background that OTC is generally good stuff so looking for some input if you have either of these.
The Fasst wrench is still available in both pre-set and adjustable. I have one of the pre-set types and it works great.

dogger
2/23/2015 9:35am
Any idea where to get one? I haven't found a place yet that has them in stock.
2/23/2015 10:22am
What is the Torque Spec for spokes ?

The Shop

2/23/2015 12:04pm
526 wrote:
What is the Torque Spec for spokes ?
Honda service manual call for like 34 in-lbs. The main reason I want the wrench in to keep them consistent.
dogger315
2/23/2015 1:29pm
809 wrote:
Any idea where to get one? I haven't found a place yet that has them in stock.
Motosport.com has them in stock.

dogger
dogger315
2/23/2015 5:14pm
Sorry about the multiple replies, website was malfunctioning.

dogger
2/24/2015 5:13am
Thanks dogger, went to order it but they didn't have any of the heads I needed or the kit so I just went with the Excel. I wish it was made in the US like the Fasst.
5/19/2018 10:16pm
I will buy adjustable wrench but my friend told me Spoke Torque Wrench is the best. Now I am so confused which wrench is the best. Anyone tell me, which one I can buy?
CSAR FE
5/20/2018 8:48am
I prefer to buy tools of known quality, preferably not made in China, but I went against my own rules and bought the Tusk spoke torque wrench from RMATV a couple years ago. It’s actually a pretty nice tool and I’ve had zero issues with it, although I am unsure as to how accurately it is calibrated. I would recommend it.
skypig
5/20/2018 5:48pm
My Fasst (fixed) spoke torque wrench is a great match for my OCD. (An adjustable one might be even better.)
FGR01
Fantasy
1334th
5/20/2018 9:46pm
What is more important, the trueness of the wheel or the torque on the spokes? What do you do when both can not be obtained simultaneously?

Also, what do you put on the threads? Oil? Grease? Anti-seize? I ask because that will certainly affect the torque reading.
FWYT
5/20/2018 10:26pm
FGR01 wrote:
What is more important, the trueness of the wheel or the torque on the spokes? What do you do when both can not be obtained simultaneously...
What is more important, the trueness of the wheel or the torque on the spokes? What do you do when both can not be obtained simultaneously?

Also, what do you put on the threads? Oil? Grease? Anti-seize? I ask because that will certainly affect the torque reading.
I've wondered the same thing. It seems that the wheels I've done, there's going to be a slight variance
in spoke torques. (Yes, I use a torque wrench. Pit Posse. Love it!) Cuz as I'm getting it in that
final true phase, if I were to go around and set them all to 45 or whatever, it will pull it off true a little.
Am I gooning out somewhere?

I use anti-sieze on the threads.
imoto34
Fantasy
3151st
5/21/2018 2:32pm Edited Date/Time 5/21/2018 2:35pm
FGR01 wrote:
What is more important, the trueness of the wheel or the torque on the spokes? What do you do when both can not be obtained simultaneously...

Wheel being true is certainly the goal, don't worry about the torque. If you are brand new to wheels, I can see why a torque wrench would help but I was taught to go by the sound when smacking them with your spoke wrench to tell if they are loose and you go by feel when tightening them.

Some will tell you this or that but I have built a bunch. I used to have a side job with a shop and I only went in to build and fix wheels. I never once used a spoke torque wrench. They are not needed, I have seen several people over tighten and bend the fuck out of their brand new rim trying to set them to a certain spec.

ktm-5
5/21/2018 4:08pm
FGR01 wrote:

imoto34 wrote:
Wheel being true is certainly the goal, don't worry about the torque. If you are brand new to wheels, I can see why a torque wrench...
Wheel being true is certainly the goal, don't worry about the torque. If you are brand new to wheels, I can see why a torque wrench would help but I was taught to go by the sound when smacking them with your spoke wrench to tell if they are loose and you go by feel when tightening them.

Some will tell you this or that but I have built a bunch. I used to have a side job with a shop and I only went in to build and fix wheels. I never once used a spoke torque wrench. They are not needed, I have seen several people over tighten and bend the fuck out of their brand new rim trying to set them to a certain spec.

X2. I've never used a spoke torque wrench either. Sound and feel is what I've always done too
BobPA
5/22/2018 5:35am
FGR01 wrote:

imoto34 wrote:
Wheel being true is certainly the goal, don't worry about the torque. If you are brand new to wheels, I can see why a torque wrench...

ktm-5 wrote:
X2. I've never used a spoke torque wrench either. Sound and feel is what I've always done too
X3. I build a pile of wheels every year and have never used a torque wrench...
5/26/2018 3:49am
CSAR FE wrote:
I prefer to buy tools of known quality, preferably not made in China, but I went against my own rules and bought the Tusk spoke torque...
I prefer to buy tools of known quality, preferably not made in China, but I went against my own rules and bought the Tusk spoke torque wrench from RMATV a couple years ago. It’s actually a pretty nice tool and I’ve had zero issues with it, although I am unsure as to how accurately it is calibrated. I would recommend it.

Post a reply to: Spoke Torque Wrench

The Latest