Should I patch inner tubes?

casper
7/10/2009 11:51am Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 7:39am
Around 25% of the time I go to change a tire or inner tube, I end up pinching the inner tube when putting the tire back on(I suck). It happened again to me last night, a brand new HD inner tube with a hole in it before I even get to use it.

So am I a cheap/dumb ass for wanting to just patch the tube? I've done this once before and didn't have any problems but that was before I read that it's not safe.
|
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1084th
7/10/2009 12:07pm
Works fine as long as you're not using the little stick-on bicycle patches, often called "scabs". The flex of dirtbike tires compared to bicycle tires cause them to not hold well. It took me a couple times to figure that out- they would hold just fine while in the garage, or out just putting around. Start hitting jumps and square edge bumps and the tire would go flat.

The old school patches using glue work fine.
Jabjr222
7/10/2009 1:36pm
If you are pinching tubes, take Tiki's advice... nothing beats actual full size tire irons. Also, go liberal on the water/soap lube and try to warm the tire before putting it on.

Really though, are you pinching them while mounting the tire or when taking it off?

I have raced with patched tubes and all went well. I know it is better to just replace the tube, but never heard anything bad about patches on dirt (unlike street).
motofab36
7/10/2009 1:38pm
When going back on you really only need two good spoons and a motion pro bead buddy to hold the bead down. Take small bites and don't get in a hurry. It also helps to put a little air in the tube to help it hold it's shape.

The Shop

casper
7/10/2009 4:06pm
I think I'm catching the tube when putting it on. When I'm putting the tire back on, and I stick the tire iron in to catch the rim and pull the tire over, the tip seems to catch the tube and pinch it between the tire iron and the rim. I've tried inflating the inner tube more so it's out of the way, but I still seem to catch the tube like 1 out of 4 times I do a tire/inner tube change.

I'm going to order the irons Tiki mentioned when I buy my next set of tires.

I have 2 of these style tire irons.
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0007/
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1084th
7/10/2009 6:07pm
The biggest tip I've found is to use your hands and always push the tire into the center of the rim- both sides of the tire if possible. Also, don't put the iron in any further than you need to.
davis224
Fantasy
182nd
7/10/2009 7:54pm
motofab36 wrote:
When going back on you really only need two good spoons and a motion pro bead buddy to hold the bead down. Take small bites and...
When going back on you really only need two good spoons and a motion pro bead buddy to hold the bead down. Take small bites and don't get in a hurry. It also helps to put a little air in the tube to help it hold it's shape.
ditto. I lube up the tube too, so if I do start to catch the tube, it's more likely to slip out of the way. dont forget to push the other side of the tire bead down to the middle of the rim, opposite the side you're going in with the irons on. Don't stick your spoon/iron in any farther than what it takes to get over the rim, and lean it to the side when you pull back/take it out, a lot less likely to ever touch the tube.
JOHN CHOATE
7/10/2009 9:10pm
The biggest tip I've found is to use your hands and always push the tire into the center of the rim- both sides of the tire...
The biggest tip I've found is to use your hands and always push the tire into the center of the rim- both sides of the tire if possible. Also, don't put the iron in any further than you need to.
BINGO!!! I run my fingers around the bead area of the rim to make sure the tube is pushed down to the "hump" before using a I also install my tubes without air. I have changed front and rear tires (removing them off the bike and back on) in 20 mins. using this method. Good advice Matt !!
7/11/2009 10:13pm
The biggest tip I've found is to use your hands and always push the tire into the center of the rim- both sides of the tire...
BINGO!!! I run my fingers around the bead area of the rim to make sure the tube is pushed down to the "hump" before using a...
BINGO!!! I run my fingers around the bead area of the rim to make sure the tube is pushed down to the "hump" before using a I also install my tubes without air. I have changed front and rear tires (removing them off the bike and back on) in 20 mins. using this method. Good advice Matt !!
No air and push the tube out of the way that's what seems to work for me!!!
Tiki
Fantasy
1774th
7/11/2009 10:49pm
one of the tricks to tire irons, as mentioned soap and water, wd40 works, small bites, the shorter iron is better. small bites The longer tire irons can grab too much and including the tube.
http://motocross.transworld.net/2008/02/05/tuesday-tip-tire-change/

Transworld has some great tips on changing tires. In fact the whole Hot-to section is pretty cool.
09450f
7/12/2009 11:59am
BINGO!!! I run my fingers around the bead area of the rim to make sure the tube is pushed down to the "hump" before using a...
good tips right there..push the tube back into the tire and have only a little air in the tube..i use the long ones and use tire shine for lube
09450f
7/12/2009 12:01pm
i patch tubes the old style way..with a hot patch..mix a little gas in the glue..lite it and then blow it out when hot and stick the patch on and clamp it down
Void Main
7/12/2009 4:23pm
casper wrote:
I think I'm catching the tube when putting it on. When I'm putting the tire back on, and I stick the tire iron in to catch...
I think I'm catching the tube when putting it on. When I'm putting the tire back on, and I stick the tire iron in to catch the rim and pull the tire over, the tip seems to catch the tube and pinch it between the tire iron and the rim. I've tried inflating the inner tube more so it's out of the way, but I still seem to catch the tube like 1 out of 4 times I do a tire/inner tube change.

Take those irons and throw them as far as you can and then get some spoons. Trust me, been there done that. Also put a little air in the tube as someone else mentioned.
Cygnus
7/12/2009 5:12pm
Sounds like most of you goobers should leave tire changing to the pros.
drmarkr
7/12/2009 11:33pm
Nobody answered his question about patching tubes.

Yes, you can patch them. And they work fine. Get a cyclist to show you the proper technique, and get the patch kits they sell at bicycle shops.
casper
7/13/2009 12:51am
So I ended up patching the inner tube and today I went riding on some pretty rocky single track trails that where 10X rockier then what caused me to blow out the tire in the first place and the patch held up just fine.

I'm still going to order new tire irons because I've put more holes in inner tube from putting tires on and off then I have during riding.

Just a story of the first time this happened to me about 8-9 years ago, I of course put a hole in the inner tube while putting on the tire on but didn't know till I got to my riding spot and was putting air in at the gas station near the spot. The tire was flat and I was pissed so I decided to to put a can of Fix-a-flat in the tire in hopes I would be still able to ride. So of course it didn't work and the fix-a-flat fluid got all into my rear tire spoke nipples and seized them up. It was so bad that I need to use a sawzall and cut all the spokes and put new ones in because the nipples froze when the rim was out of round.
cjmx
Fantasy
1180th
7/13/2009 6:19am
casper wrote:
I think I'm catching the tube when putting it on. When I'm putting the tire back on, and I stick the tire iron in to catch...

Void Main wrote:
Take those irons and throw them as far as you can and then get some spoons. Trust me, been there done that. Also put a little...
Take those irons and throw them as far as you can and then get some spoons. Trust me, been there done that. Also put a little air in the tube as someone else mentioned.
x2

get spoons...take your time. It's all about finesse not force.

lumpy790
7/13/2009 7:35am
casper wrote:

Void Main wrote:
Take those irons and throw them as far as you can and then get some spoons. Trust me, been there done that. Also put a little...
cjmx wrote:
x2

get spoons...take your time. It's all about finesse not force.

I have been using the irons pictured for 10-15 years and they work fine but I use 3 of them. Are you not putting any air in the tube? If you put in just enough to puff the tube out it helps the tube pull away from the tire irons. I also use Polmolive dish soap around the bead to help it slide on.

I also do a little side to side motion with the tire iron to help move the iron away from the tube.

I have found mini tubes to be the worst!

Void Main
7/13/2009 10:47am
I have 3 of those irons as well and I did use them for a few years. It wasn't until I was at the club and needing to change a tire and didn't have my irons and had to borrow a buddies spoons that I realized how much easier the spoons were. To be honest, I have never poked a hole in a tube with either type of iron but I figure the less you have to fight the less chance you have of pinching a tube.
Big Lenny
7/13/2009 11:00am Edited Date/Time 7/13/2009 11:00am
casper wrote:
Around 25% of the time I go to change a tire or inner tube, I end up pinching the inner tube when putting the tire back...
Around 25% of the time I go to change a tire or inner tube, I end up pinching the inner tube when putting the tire back on(I suck). It happened again to me last night, a brand new HD inner tube with a hole in it before I even get to use it.

So am I a cheap/dumb ass for wanting to just patch the tube? I've done this once before and didn't have any problems but that was before I read that it's not safe.
Casper, your whole problem will be solved once you slightly inflate the tube before putting it in first trust me, I had the same problem...

Post a reply to: Should I patch inner tubes?

The Latest