Rm 125 build

Edited Date/Time 8/22/2017 7:02am
Hi guys. This is the begging of my Suzuki rm 125 build. It will be a slow continues process. But I thought I'd start the thread now. Here's some goodies that I've picked up for my bike so far.

Full hinson clutch. Pressure plate, inner hub, basket, fiber plates and hi temp clutch springs. Pressure plate and inner hub are discontinued units so this was a good score. Rcs ti shock spring. Brand new cylinder. Porting and head work done at pro circuit. Nothing but race gas for this baby. Stripped the bike right down to the frame. Going to powder coat semi gloss black.

|
BAMX
11/30/2015 4:42pm
Nice...check the frame for cracks before you paint or powder coat it. Mine had a few.
11/30/2015 4:51pm
BAMX wrote:
Nice...check the frame for cracks before you paint or powder coat it. Mine had a few.
Will do. You tig welded the cracks you found?
lawson_31
11/30/2015 7:31pm
Sounds like a sick build. I'm building up my '14 250sx right now
BAMX
11/30/2015 9:07pm
BAMX wrote:
Will do. You tig welded the cracks you found?
Yes...they have held since then.

The Shop

Slosh 112
12/1/2015 1:54am
Finally get to see it hey hahaha.
Hinson clutch is nice. What model cylinder is the new one? does it have the adjustable power valve or is it the new style?
12/1/2015 4:58am
Slosh 112 wrote:
Finally get to see it hey hahaha. Hinson clutch is nice. What model cylinder is the new one? does it have the adjustable power valve or...
Finally get to see it hey hahaha.
Hinson clutch is nice. What model cylinder is the new one? does it have the adjustable power valve or is it the new style?
It's the newest style of cylinder like yours. Flat top piston long rod motor that came out in 04. Yours has few porting updates changes from the factory. But there both the basic similar triple port exhaust cylinder (copy of ktm motor lol )
12/1/2015 8:04am
Picked up the frame from the sandblasted today. No cracks in the frame. It's in good condition. Dropped frame off at the powder coaters. Gloss black.

Slosh 112
12/1/2015 11:30am
It's the newest style of cylinder like yours. Flat top piston long rod motor that came out in 04. Yours has few porting updates changes from...
It's the newest style of cylinder like yours. Flat top piston long rod motor that came out in 04. Yours has few porting updates changes from the factory. But there both the basic similar triple port exhaust cylinder (copy of ktm motor lol )
Ohk, I didn't know that. are you planning on building the motor up? did you notice how good the case matching was before you stripped the motor? easily the best I've seen in a standard bike.
12/1/2015 11:38am
It's the newest style of cylinder like yours. Flat top piston long rod motor that came out in 04. Yours has few porting updates changes from...
Slosh 112 wrote:
Ohk, I didn't know that. are you planning on building the motor up? did you notice how good the case matching was before you stripped the...
Ohk, I didn't know that. are you planning on building the motor up? did you notice how good the case matching was before you stripped the motor? easily the best I've seen in a standard bike.
I haven't rebuild tons of motors. But it's my under standing the the casting on motors of suzuki is pretty good in comparison to a lot of the other brands. Mind you I haven't rebuild hundreds motors either. A lot of my friends have stated the castings on the kawi bikes is pretty bad.
12/5/2015 4:23am
Some wheel updates. Hubs have been turned down and mag coated by troy cardiel at tcr hubs. But lighter then stock. Hubs laced to factory yellow excel rims with over sized excel spokes, heavy duty tubes and Dunlop mx 52 tires. I'm trying to shave weight off the bike where I can but the added durability from over sized spokes and heavy duty tubes is worth the weight penalty. Going to swap out the ebc rotor using slosh12 moto blade rotor conversion. Can take 3/4 lb off front wheel alone with this mod vs the ebc rotor.

12/6/2015 8:58am
The silencer I'm going to run when it's available. With works finish bills pipe.

12/6/2015 10:03am
Wow. Great build, my RM125 was one of my best bikes ever. When are the Bill's guys releasing the carbon mx2? Brandon on here?
12/6/2015 10:14am
Wow. Great build, my RM125 was one of my best bikes ever. When are the Bill's guys releasing the carbon mx2? Brandon on here?
I asked them when the silencer would be available on their instagram page. They asked me to email them and asked what model of bike I have. I emailed them today. I'll let you know what they say when they reply. Thanks for the compliment. Loved your 500 build!
Slosh 112
12/7/2015 3:42pm
That carbon silencer looks really good. Too bad I've already got a full FMF system for mine...
12/9/2015 11:02am
Picked up my frame from the powder coaters. Gloss black. Super happy with how it came out. Much better then the oem dark grey.

Spydee
12/9/2015 1:02pm
Looks awesome. Hey where'd you get the eibach spring from? I had a quick Google and couldn't find it..
12/9/2015 5:07pm
Spydee wrote:
Looks awesome. Hey where'd you get the eibach spring from? I had a quick Google and couldn't find it..
No where special. My local dealer ordered it in for me... replacing it with ti rcs spring tho. Original spring was red steel one. Re sprung rear last season and rode year on the eibach spring. They come in black only tho. Just a heads up.
Spydee
12/9/2015 11:52pm
Looks really good man, I've got the standard red spring on my RM125 also, but I've kinda got a red theme going on so in two minds about whether to keep it or replace it with an aftermarket one like yours. I used to have Eibach's on my car and they're quality springs, I didn't even realise they produced motorcycle springs too.
12/9/2015 11:59pm
Spydee wrote:
Looks really good man, I've got the standard red spring on my RM125 also, but I've kinda got a red theme going on so in two...
Looks really good man, I've got the standard red spring on my RM125 also, but I've kinda got a red theme going on so in two minds about whether to keep it or replace it with an aftermarket one like yours. I used to have Eibach's on my car and they're quality springs, I didn't even realise they produced motorcycle springs too.
Lots of rm 125 builds on the go! Lol. Post some updates on yours when you can. Could always run rcs ti spring haha...
Spydee
12/10/2015 12:06am
I know man, they seem to be very popular as of late! Cool to see though, give us plenty of ideas for our own builds! Seeing your frame as solidified my decision to go with a gloss black frame, so thanks!

I'll put up a thread of my build too, I've been collecting photos of everything I've done to her since the beginning of the year, just need to put the time and effort into posting it all on here, ha!

That RCS TI spring is $300! Christ lol.
12/10/2015 12:29am
Spydee wrote:
I know man, they seem to be very popular as of late! Cool to see though, give us plenty of ideas for our own builds! Seeing...
I know man, they seem to be very popular as of late! Cool to see though, give us plenty of ideas for our own builds! Seeing your frame as solidified my decision to go with a gloss black frame, so thanks!

I'll put up a thread of my build too, I've been collecting photos of everything I've done to her since the beginning of the year, just need to put the time and effort into posting it all on here, ha!

That RCS TI spring is $300! Christ lol.
Gotta do what you gotta do to knock weight off the bike lol! What exhaust/reeds are you running on your bike
Slosh 112
12/10/2015 3:45am
standard spring stripped and powder coated.

Spydee
12/10/2015 4:31am
Gotta do what you gotta do to knock weight off the bike lol! What exhaust/reeds are you running on your bike
Just stock at the mo mate, unsure on the exhaust combo as I've been on the lookout for a Bill's Pipe but they seem to be impossible to find for a 2002 model Sad

I was also planning on getting V-Force Reeds but again, I've heard bad things about that too so will find an alternative!
Slosh 112
12/10/2015 2:36pm
I did some research on reeds for RM's and just on reeds in general. Everyone I spoke to told me to steer clear of VForce and get a set of Boyesen Pro series reeds in the stock cage or a Rad valve.

Local KTM/Yamaha/Suzuki dealer said that the only bikes that have seen work with VForce cages are some of the full blown beach race bikes they have built, said the same thing just put Boyesen Pro series reeds in it, they could have sold me a VForce 3 but didn't.

Spoke to a flat track racer who raced two strokes for 20 years, VForce reeds always chipped and split apart, Best reeds he ever ran were Boyesen's or CarbonTech reeds (made by Boyesen). That sealed it for me, too many people saying the opposite thing to what the US mags swear by...
Spydee
12/10/2015 2:44pm
Great advice, and thanks for clarifying. Boyesen it is!
Bruce372
12/11/2015 1:03pm
just get the boysen reeds. the stock cage is good and fits really nice- when i put the smart carb on mine, i could only get it to fit right with the stock manifold and cage.
12/11/2015 2:17pm
I'm going all out on this build so I think I'll go with a rad valve. I'm currently running a v force reed cage. Haven't had much problem with it. Just do the petals once a season. No reed petals are going to last forever right..... they split and crack by nature over time. But I do think boyesen rad valve is the best design though.

Post a reply to: Rm 125 build

The Latest