Restoring 1990s-2000s MX bikes.

Edited Date/Time 6/25/2013 8:11am
Hi guys

Since joining I have browsed some awesome build threads and bike resto topics. This has encouraged me to look into restoring a bike myself!

Whats the deal with parts? Are plastics still made for older bikes? What about decal kits?

I like the idea of restoring a bike to OEM-spec.

Any advice appreciated!
|
mototrader
6/12/2013 11:33am
anything from 2000 and newer will have parts/plastics most likely. ebay is your friend
6/13/2013 8:00pm Edited Date/Time 6/13/2013 8:03pm
BikeBandit seems to have a full range of the OEM bits I would need for my desired bike - good supplier?

The Shop

yz450fpilot
6/13/2013 8:20pm
Hi guys Since joining I have browsed some awesome build threads and bike resto topics. This has encouraged me to look into restoring a bike myself...
Hi guys

Since joining I have browsed some awesome build threads and bike resto topics. This has encouraged me to look into restoring a bike myself!

Whats the deal with parts? Are plastics still made for older bikes? What about decal kits?

I like the idea of restoring a bike to OEM-spec.

Any advice appreciated!
For my 87 CR500 I was able to find some oem parts direct from Honda and some from Motorsport & Bike Bandit. But most of all ebay and patience.
6/13/2013 9:00pm
Thanks mate.

Interestingly I rang a local (Australian) Kawasaki dealer to compare prices on a few parts, and they told me they were no longer available (fuel tank, shroud decals etc).

Meanwhile...BikeBandit has it all in stock!
mototrader
6/13/2013 10:31pm
Thanks mate. Interestingly I rang a local (Australian) Kawasaki dealer to compare prices on a few parts, and they told me they were no longer available...
Thanks mate.

Interestingly I rang a local (Australian) Kawasaki dealer to compare prices on a few parts, and they told me they were no longer available (fuel tank, shroud decals etc).

strange, maybe cos' AUS bike market is pretty small in comparison to north america

bikebandit, motosport, rockymountain, partzilla.. should have whatcha' need
Kidkawie
6/25/2013 8:11am
Thanks mate. Interestingly I rang a local (Australian) Kawasaki dealer to compare prices on a few parts, and they told me they were no longer available...
Thanks mate.

No, Bike Bandit does NOT have it all in stock.

The ordering system they use will let you order a parts (even if it has been discontinued) and you go through the checkout process. Only to receive an email a few days later saying certain parts are discontinued. Meanwhile, your money is tied up. Your refund will come in a few days.

The hardest parts to come across are NOS pipes, seat covers and graphics. Seat covers being #1. Graphics are easily reproduced and pop up time to time on Ebay. There is a company on Ebay called OEM-Replica that does repro seat covers at a decent price. Depending on how exact you want the resto to be, you might want to ask for a sample of the vinyl as the colors can be off a bit. You can usually find a decent used pipe that can be restored.

Besides all that, your #1 expense is hardware. Missing a few bolts here and there, some rusty or stripped bolts, that shit adds up in a hurry. One single 6mm bolt can cost $3-4 OEM. The first thing I do, after I get the bike running, is send out all the hardware with as much extra as I can, to be replated. It should take a couple weeks for that but it's well worth it in the end. I spent countless hours searching for hardware, buying replacement, etc. While the hardware is being replated you can do all your cleaning, maybe get the frame refinished.

Post a reply to: Restoring 1990s-2000s MX bikes.

The Latest