Rear Suspension (07 Honda CRF 250)

gharmon
Edited Date/Time 2/13/2014 9:58pm
Need a little advice (education). I have fooled with the front suspension some now (showa forks) but never really had a reason to mess with the rear. I'm not fast enough that I feel it really makes a difference for me. Anyway, I bought this 07 CRF 250 from what I assume was a privateer type rider (I actually bought it from someone else that bought it from the privateer) and I don't know much about it.

Well after almost going over the bars TWICE the other day I feel something wrong with my rear suspension. When I went over a jump the ass end kicked me into a severe panic revving endo. I managed to save it but it freaking hurt my shoulder and scared the shit out of me. The rebound is extremely fast. The compression is soft two really. When you push down on the seat it pushes rather easily and rebounds really quick . I assume this rebound is what gave me the that instant endo symptom.

My son seems to think the shock is blown but I see not oil or anything? My bike as this added thing on the rear shock. Can someone tell me what it is and how do I figure it into the setup of the rear end. Which adjustment sets rebound on the CRF?

Thanks,

Gerald

For some reason it's not letting me upload a photo (its only giving giving me the imbed option.

There is a hose that comes off the reservoir (the one on the factory shock) that runs to another reservoir looking thing mounted remotely up by the head on the frame.

I'll try to figure out how to post a pic.
|
gharmon
2/8/2014 1:45pm

The first couple pics in this post are of my bike.

It's the best I could do.
gharmon
2/8/2014 1:46pm
It appears that didn't work either. Not sure why the upload feature isn't working for me. It has before so WTF.
slipdog
2/8/2014 1:55pm
You likely have a bad seal head which has led to a loss of fluid and cavitation from a pocket of air, or a loss of nitrogen in the bladder. The reservoir is designed to hold a much larger volume of nitrogen then the standard bladder can.
Paw Paw 271
2/8/2014 2:37pm
Sounds like the shock needs servicing.
FYI: You don't need to be fast to have the suspension set up for your size and weight. You will get faster when you set the suspension up for your needs.
The previous owner could have been much heaver or lighter or of a different skill level and those factors would have created the need for the suspension to be changed to suit him. You need to do the same thing.
The place to start is with a service manual for your bike. There is good info in there to help you set up the bike for you as well as help you understand how everything works.

Paw Paw

The Shop

gharmon
2/8/2014 6:16pm
Sounds like the shock needs servicing. FYI: You don't need to be fast to have the suspension set up for your size and weight. You will...
Sounds like the shock needs servicing.
FYI: You don't need to be fast to have the suspension set up for your size and weight. You will get faster when you set the suspension up for your needs.
The previous owner could have been much heaver or lighter or of a different skill level and those factors would have created the need for the suspension to be changed to suit him. You need to do the same thing.
The place to start is with a service manual for your bike. There is good info in there to help you set up the bike for you as well as help you understand how everything works.

Paw Paw
I actually have a service manual on a cd. Those things yall suggested are usually done by a professional on the rear shock correct? I disassembled the front forks and even tore the cartridges down (with help from you guys) but the rear is different right?
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
2/9/2014 9:02am
I agree with Paw, you don't need to be fast to have a nice set up suspension.

Setting it up correct is just safer, more fun and more reliable. I try and explain this to my friends all the time.

If it's possible bring it to a local suspension tuner or ship it to a company like Factory connection. The service will cost about. $400-$500.

If you don't have the money start off my putting all your clickers in the middle. What this means is go all the way tight then back everything out 15-18 clicks. (I think that's about right for a Honda. The top of the fork, the bottom if the fork, the top of the rear shock and the bottom. There is also a 17mm bolt on the shock you should tighten all the way and then turn out 2 full rotations.

The bike was getting kicked in the air most likey because the rebound was too fast. That is the clicker on the bottom of the shock very close to the ground in front of the real tire. Check to see how many clicks that was turned out.

Also setting the sage is really the first thing you should do. Hope this helps
slatermx
2/9/2014 12:45pm
You should also messeure your sag on the bike that could help to. Look it up on YouTube how to measure your sag . it should be 3 to 4 inches
gharmon
2/11/2014 3:50pm
Okay guys I just got around to checking the bike out. I checked the sag. It's like 607mm on the stand hanging. The sag of just the bikes own weight is 52mm (555mm) and with me on the bike its 125mm (482). I was thinking, wow that's too much. I took the seat off to get to the spanner nut and noticed that the air line running from the shock to that extra capacity nitrogen tank we discussed had a hole in it somehow. It appears to have rubbed against something.

Does this mean all the nitrogen leaked out of the extra cylinder and the shock itself? I assume it does and that this is my problem? Where can I get this shock recharged? Does the local Honda shops to that? Also what about a replacement line? Or could I just put the original fitting back on the shock reservoir and recharge it. Does someone of my ability need the extra capacity?

Thanks,

Gerald
slipdog
2/11/2014 7:12pm
Yes the nitrogen is gone. I know you like to do things yourself, but in this instance I'd suggest sending it back to Factory Connection for a rebuild. They will have the replacement hose and I believe the will update the valving to better suit your needs.
gharmon
2/11/2014 9:32pm
Is factory connection the only ones that cab service that part or have that hose. I don't mind using them. The only problem is we have a race I wanted to do in less than two weeks (feb 22nd) and I just don't think I could get it fixed that quick with shipping and all. I will call them tomorrow and check though.
slipdog
2/12/2014 7:30am
That's a FC part so anyone else would have to custom make something to work. That doesn't mean it can't be done, but they know the most about setting up that system and would have anything needed in stock.

You could eliminate the reservoir and just charge it through the stock bladder cap, but I'd definitely have it serviced to make sure there is no internal issues. A local mechanic with suspension experience should be able to do it.
2/12/2014 8:00pm
You could contact Johnny Borders, he has a suspension shop around the Birmingham area I think. .And it is a Pro-Action shop.
gharmon
2/13/2014 9:58pm
You could contact Johnny Borders, he has a suspension shop around the Birmingham area I think. .And it is a Pro-Action shop.
Actually I think Johnny is right across the street from Monster Mountain's entrance (at least he used to be I thought). I talked to factory connection yesterday and it's on it's way to them now. I acually called Johnny and didn't get an answer then I got the return call from FC and never called Johnny back. I really need to hook up with him as he's super close to me (about 50 miles or so).

thanks for the info guys,

Gerald

Post a reply to: Rear Suspension (07 Honda CRF 250)

The Latest