Reading engine hours on 13 RMZ 250

Slamdrew
Edited Date/Time 6/22/2020 2:37pm
So I just recently bought a 2013 RMZ 250 with one previous owner and want to see how many hours are on it before I put a new hour meter on. Suzuki dealers are no where near me, and I would rather not buy Suzuki's FI indicator light and 12v connector.

Is it a big deal to connect a light to the correct two wires and put 12 volts to another two wires? I see the OEM connector has an inline fuse. Can I ruin anything by putting 12 volts straight through the system? I haven't looked very much through my manual or the bike, but which wires am I looking for? Should I just pay the money for the right connectors and return my hour meter? It seems like a huge pain to read hours the way Suzuki designed.

Any help is appreciated.
|
Slamdrew
5/21/2014 12:38pm Edited Date/Time 5/21/2014 12:41pm
Ok, I figured it out. Hopefully this will help anyone google searching for this info like I was. I would think a 2013 RMZ 450 would be the same, but this was done on my 250 to read original hours on the bike. You'll need a second person to make it easier.

I just got a little 12v LED bulb, an old 12v motorcycle battery, and some wire. Oh, and a digital stop watch.

Unplug your fuel coupler and wire the light bulb between the red and white with red tracer wires.

Then, on the right side of the bike remove the blank plug of the black 2pin connector. Wire the negative side of the battery to the black with white tracer wire, and the positive to the red wire.

When you put power to the black plug the test light will light up first to show it is working. Then it will shut off and light back up again. The second time it lights up is when it is displaying your engine run time. Every .2 seconds the bulb is lit = 1 hour of run time. Start the stop watch when it lights up, and stop it when the light shuts off. I did mine a couple times to get an average. For example my bulb recorded 2.4 seconds, so I have about 14 hours on my bike.

It should also be noted that the Suzuki 12v connector has an inline fuse in it on the positive side. I didn't use any fuses. Just be very careful where you are putting power.

Hope someone finds this useful.
Tyrob513
7/9/2014 11:26am
I bought a new 2013 Rmz 450 over a year ago and love it. I read that you could do this, but never found any video or info on how to do it until now. Ill be trying this myself, thanks for the post drew!
VRMink
3/24/2017 7:31am
Slamdrew wrote:
Ok, I figured it out. Hopefully this will help anyone google searching for this info like I was. I would think a 2013 RMZ 450 would...
Ok, I figured it out. Hopefully this will help anyone google searching for this info like I was. I would think a 2013 RMZ 450 would be the same, but this was done on my 250 to read original hours on the bike. You'll need a second person to make it easier.

I just got a little 12v LED bulb, an old 12v motorcycle battery, and some wire. Oh, and a digital stop watch.

Unplug your fuel coupler and wire the light bulb between the red and white with red tracer wires.

Then, on the right side of the bike remove the blank plug of the black 2pin connector. Wire the negative side of the battery to the black with white tracer wire, and the positive to the red wire.

When you put power to the black plug the test light will light up first to show it is working. Then it will shut off and light back up again. The second time it lights up is when it is displaying your engine run time. Every .2 seconds the bulb is lit = 1 hour of run time. Start the stop watch when it lights up, and stop it when the light shuts off. I did mine a couple times to get an average. For example my bulb recorded 2.4 seconds, so I have about 14 hours on my bike.

It should also be noted that the Suzuki 12v connector has an inline fuse in it on the positive side. I didn't use any fuses. Just be very careful where you are putting power.

Hope someone finds this useful.
Thanks for the guide. I followed your steps and have added a video on it as well.
YouTube

Enjoy.
Mxracer394
6/22/2020 2:37pm
Hate to bring up a extremely old thread but could I take my 450 in to the dealer and get them to tell me the hours?

Post a reply to: Reading engine hours on 13 RMZ 250

The Latest