RM250 suspension mods

bmelzRM250
Edited Date/Time 12/27/2015 11:08pm
I have a 2006 Suzuki RM250 RC edition 2 stroke. stock suspension. for a while, the suspension has been too soft and harsh, to the point where I am too scared to jump anything bigger than a small double in fear of casing it, my suspension bottoming out, and me flying over the bars and killing myself. its starting to affect my riding, and i look like a goon when i dont hit any big jumps on the track.

i called pro circuit, and they said it would be around $1500 or more for new springs and the whole new job. thats a lot of money and i want to find something else. I know i can adjust my clickers and set the sag, but how much can that do? anyone have any tips or thoughts? thanks ya'll. oh and I am 5'11" 195 lbs novice rider that only rides so cal tracks.
|
moto455va
12/21/2015 9:16am
Have you had them serviced recently? Not changing the oil/seals/bushings will make them act differently.

$1500 is insane for a standard revalve, Factory Connection will do it for like $750.

If you want to be cheap about it, you could just add like 10-15 cc's of oil to the forks to add some bottoming resistance
bmelzRM250
12/21/2015 9:44am
moto455va wrote:
Have you had them serviced recently? Not changing the oil/seals/bushings will make them act differently. $1500 is insane for a standard revalve, Factory Connection will do...
Have you had them serviced recently? Not changing the oil/seals/bushings will make them act differently.

$1500 is insane for a standard revalve, Factory Connection will do it for like $750.

If you want to be cheap about it, you could just add like 10-15 cc's of oil to the forks to add some bottoming resistance
great info, thanks for the reply. I could do $750; i basically just want a service and the next step up from stock suspension. not sure what its called but i guess its a revalve. i dont want to be cheap but i dont want to spend more than like $800 or maybe a grand for it.
K-dubbb
12/21/2015 9:53am
I got the suspension on my RM 125 rebuilt/serviced and set it to my weight, such a huge leap in the right direction.

It feels really good, not as good as the new bikes mind you - but I know what to expect and how the bike will react which brings comfort and confidence.
b8res
12/21/2015 10:08am
bmelzRM250 wrote:
I have a 2006 Suzuki RM250 RC edition 2 stroke. stock suspension. for a while, the suspension has been too soft and harsh, to the point...
I have a 2006 Suzuki RM250 RC edition 2 stroke. stock suspension. for a while, the suspension has been too soft and harsh, to the point where I am too scared to jump anything bigger than a small double in fear of casing it, my suspension bottoming out, and me flying over the bars and killing myself. its starting to affect my riding, and i look like a goon when i dont hit any big jumps on the track.

i called pro circuit, and they said it would be around $1500 or more for new springs and the whole new job. thats a lot of money and i want to find something else. I know i can adjust my clickers and set the sag, but how much can that do? anyone have any tips or thoughts? thanks ya'll. oh and I am 5'11" 195 lbs novice rider that only rides so cal tracks.
I've heard some pretty good scoop on this guy > http://www.rothracingmx.com/ I have not used them...yet...but when my next suspension service is due, they will get the nod based on feed back from several guys in our club. I'd give them a call $1700 seems crazy money.

I have the same RM as you, I weight about the same and my suspenion is set up pretty nice for an old weekend warrior.

Good luck

The Shop

pete24
12/21/2015 10:12am
i had my 04 and 05 rm250s done by FC it was a lot less than a grand , i was very happy with it
DPR250R
12/21/2015 10:31am
Only thing cheaper (even though you said you are good with $750) would be to have Factory Connection service the suspension and install springs for your weight. That should be a little cheaper than a full re-valave.

Just throwing another optin out there.
slipdog
12/21/2015 11:34am
Just to understand pricing, a standard revalve from most companies($350-$425) plus front and rear springs($119+119 aprox) puts you around $588-$663, and at your weight you definitely need stiffer springs. Having a 10 year old bike means you'll also get charged for many needed replacement parts. Seals, bushings, piston bands, possibly shock bumper and bladder. That could add another $125-$150 in parts putting you roughly in the $7-$800 range.

At $1500 PC is likely selling you on their high end revalve including extra things like their own fork and shock pistons, spring seats, pressure springs, etc... I don't know if they offer standard revalves or only offer it with all their custom parts, but I'd have thought they would have at least given you the option. They do have a lot of overhead to support though, lol
bmelzRM250
12/21/2015 12:17pm
slipdog wrote:
Just to understand pricing, a standard revalve from most companies($350-$425) plus front and rear springs($119+119 aprox) puts you around $588-$663, and at your weight you definitely...
Just to understand pricing, a standard revalve from most companies($350-$425) plus front and rear springs($119+119 aprox) puts you around $588-$663, and at your weight you definitely need stiffer springs. Having a 10 year old bike means you'll also get charged for many needed replacement parts. Seals, bushings, piston bands, possibly shock bumper and bladder. That could add another $125-$150 in parts putting you roughly in the $7-$800 range.

At $1500 PC is likely selling you on their high end revalve including extra things like their own fork and shock pistons, spring seats, pressure springs, etc... I don't know if they offer standard revalves or only offer it with all their custom parts, but I'd have thought they would have at least given you the option. They do have a lot of overhead to support though, lol
That was super helpful thanks for that post!
bmelzRM250
12/21/2015 12:18pm
DPR250R wrote:
Only thing cheaper (even though you said you are good with $750) would be to have Factory Connection service the suspension and install springs for your...
Only thing cheaper (even though you said you are good with $750) would be to have Factory Connection service the suspension and install springs for your weight. That should be a little cheaper than a full re-valave.

Just throwing another optin out there.
Good to know, always down for all the options
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1959th
12/21/2015 2:18pm
You have a few options, and pricing will change based on them:

Stage 1: Rebuild -
A rebuild is a basic servicing of your suspension, at Race Tech we recommend every 20-30 hours. A rebuild includes dis-assembly and reassembly of your suspension putting it back together with fresh fluids and replacing wear items. If your suspension hasn't been serviced in some time, this is definitely a must. Just like the fluid in an engine, it'll break down over time. When it does, the damping characteristics change and that will play a huge role in how your suspension performs.

Wear items will be items like bushings and seals, and these should be replaced if worn to prevent further damage and to be sure your suspension is performing optimally.

Also note, not all suspension fluids are the same. A high quality fluid will reduce stiction, hold up under heat, and prevent fading. Stiction causes a sticky feel, loses traction, and can also make your suspension feel harsh.

A rebuild service at Race Tech costs $100 per end retail price ($100 forks/$100 shock) + the cost of replacement parts needed and fluids.

Stage 2: Proper Spring Rates -
Proper spring rates will set the balance of the bike properly for your weight and allow you to get sag/preload numbers where recommended. This will make a huge impact on how your bike handles.

Retail cost at Race Tech on springs is approximately $119 per end

Please note, for many riders, just doing Stage 1 and Stage 2 makes them very, very happy with their bike. While I'd love to sell you a revalve, fresh fluids and proper spring rates is plenty good for many riders. If you do those things and still are looking for more, your springs will still be used towards a revalve and be money invested into the end product.

Stage 3: Revalve -

A revalve will include everything above with a rebuild and in order to work properly should also be done with proper rate springs. Race Tech doesn't charge any additional labor for a revalve versus a rebuild. We specialize in personalized valving setups and guarantee our work, so we only we provide a revalve on our Gold Valves. Some companies will revalve on a stock piston, so this will lower the cost, but all revalves are definitely not created equally and when you hear about testing and development, this is where a bulk of that time and money goes. Do your research and pick the company you feel most comfortable with.

Race Tech offers compression and rebound valves for your RM250 forks, both include a personalized valving setting. The compression valves will provide damping on takeoffs, landings, rollers, and hold the suspension up. This is primarily where your bottoming resistance will come from as well. This is the only thing touched by many companies when revalving because it handles a bulk of the suspension action. If you are only doing one or the other, we'd recommend doing the compression valving.

Rebound valves (sometimes called the mid-valve) controls your initial plushness and Rebound Gold Valves really help improve traction.

On the shock, Race Tech offers our G3-LD Gold Valve. Just like the valves on the forks, this includes a personalized valving setup. This means your valving is setup for your weight, skill level, and type of riding to really personalize your suspension for you. The shock Gold Valve controls both compression and rebound damping.

When thinking of a revalve, remember from the factory, the stock setup has to work for a wide range of riders as best as it can. Whether it's a 100 pound beginner who rides in trails around his yard, or a 200 pound pro riding a pro mx track, the setup has to work okay for them; but because of this it won't necessarily work great for either rider. A revalve allows a company to focus solely on your setup.

Revalve pricing:
Revalve labor: $100 per end + cost of fluids and any replacement wear items
Proper rate RT Hi-Performance Springs (see above for pricing)
Fork Compression Gold Valve Kit Retail: $169.99
Fork Rebound Gold Valve Kit Retail: $169.99 (optional add on, combo compression/rebound kit is available for $299.99)
Shock Gold Valve Kit Retail: $169.99

Hopefully that helps break it down. Race Tech is a proud supporter of VitalMX and does offer a forum member discount. Just mention VitalMX when ordering via phone or email to get the discount. You may contact me via email if you'd like to get an itemized quote and discuss your setup further at chris@racetech.com.

Best of luck getting everything setup and getting back to enjoying your days at the track.

bmelzRM250
12/21/2015 2:54pm
You have a few options, and pricing will change based on them: [b]Stage 1: Rebuild - [/b] A rebuild is a basic servicing of your suspension...
You have a few options, and pricing will change based on them:

Stage 1: Rebuild -
A rebuild is a basic servicing of your suspension, at Race Tech we recommend every 20-30 hours. A rebuild includes dis-assembly and reassembly of your suspension putting it back together with fresh fluids and replacing wear items. If your suspension hasn't been serviced in some time, this is definitely a must. Just like the fluid in an engine, it'll break down over time. When it does, the damping characteristics change and that will play a huge role in how your suspension performs.

Wear items will be items like bushings and seals, and these should be replaced if worn to prevent further damage and to be sure your suspension is performing optimally.

Also note, not all suspension fluids are the same. A high quality fluid will reduce stiction, hold up under heat, and prevent fading. Stiction causes a sticky feel, loses traction, and can also make your suspension feel harsh.

A rebuild service at Race Tech costs $100 per end retail price ($100 forks/$100 shock) + the cost of replacement parts needed and fluids.

Stage 2: Proper Spring Rates -
Proper spring rates will set the balance of the bike properly for your weight and allow you to get sag/preload numbers where recommended. This will make a huge impact on how your bike handles.

Retail cost at Race Tech on springs is approximately $119 per end

Please note, for many riders, just doing Stage 1 and Stage 2 makes them very, very happy with their bike. While I'd love to sell you a revalve, fresh fluids and proper spring rates is plenty good for many riders. If you do those things and still are looking for more, your springs will still be used towards a revalve and be money invested into the end product.

Stage 3: Revalve -

A revalve will include everything above with a rebuild and in order to work properly should also be done with proper rate springs. Race Tech doesn't charge any additional labor for a revalve versus a rebuild. We specialize in personalized valving setups and guarantee our work, so we only we provide a revalve on our Gold Valves. Some companies will revalve on a stock piston, so this will lower the cost, but all revalves are definitely not created equally and when you hear about testing and development, this is where a bulk of that time and money goes. Do your research and pick the company you feel most comfortable with.

Race Tech offers compression and rebound valves for your RM250 forks, both include a personalized valving setting. The compression valves will provide damping on takeoffs, landings, rollers, and hold the suspension up. This is primarily where your bottoming resistance will come from as well. This is the only thing touched by many companies when revalving because it handles a bulk of the suspension action. If you are only doing one or the other, we'd recommend doing the compression valving.

Rebound valves (sometimes called the mid-valve) controls your initial plushness and Rebound Gold Valves really help improve traction.

On the shock, Race Tech offers our G3-LD Gold Valve. Just like the valves on the forks, this includes a personalized valving setup. This means your valving is setup for your weight, skill level, and type of riding to really personalize your suspension for you. The shock Gold Valve controls both compression and rebound damping.

When thinking of a revalve, remember from the factory, the stock setup has to work for a wide range of riders as best as it can. Whether it's a 100 pound beginner who rides in trails around his yard, or a 200 pound pro riding a pro mx track, the setup has to work okay for them; but because of this it won't necessarily work great for either rider. A revalve allows a company to focus solely on your setup.

Revalve pricing:
Revalve labor: $100 per end + cost of fluids and any replacement wear items
Proper rate RT Hi-Performance Springs (see above for pricing)
Fork Compression Gold Valve Kit Retail: $169.99
Fork Rebound Gold Valve Kit Retail: $169.99 (optional add on, combo compression/rebound kit is available for $299.99)
Shock Gold Valve Kit Retail: $169.99

Hopefully that helps break it down. Race Tech is a proud supporter of VitalMX and does offer a forum member discount. Just mention VitalMX when ordering via phone or email to get the discount. You may contact me via email if you'd like to get an itemized quote and discuss your setup further at chris@racetech.com.

Best of luck getting everything setup and getting back to enjoying your days at the track.

Thanks for all that info! Yea all I need is proper springs and a fresh rebuild. Race tech sounds a bit less expensive than FC and I know race tech has a good rep. Thanks again I appreciate it!
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2447th
12/21/2015 3:03pm
slipdog wrote:
Just to understand pricing, a standard revalve from most companies($350-$425) plus front and rear springs($119+119 aprox) puts you around $588-$663, and at your weight you definitely...

i recommend slipdog for some work. had him do my suspenders and they were great. He was very thourough in the work he did even explaining what he did and why. even did a free revalve after i had done a little testing to help get it where i needed it.

***hey slipdog, on a side note i dont know how the changes you made worked i just traded it for a clean '03 rm250
bmelzRM250
12/21/2015 3:06pm
bmelzRM250 wrote:
I have a 2006 Suzuki RM250 RC edition 2 stroke. stock suspension. for a while, the suspension has been too soft and harsh, to the point...

I called FC and they said services for rebuilds and springs start at $505, but could go up to $790 if bushings are needed. Race Tech offers full rebuild with fluids bushings and seals plus springs for $650. I might have to go with race tech
Lucky13FIST
12/27/2015 11:08pm Edited Date/Time 12/27/2015 11:10pm
+1 for Factory Connection. They have a ton on research and settings for the RM stuff. They will hook you up with revalve re-spring if needed and replace all wear parts needed. With these guys you really and truly get what you pay for. They will revalve for free until you are satisfied, but i'll almost guarantee that you'll be satisfied the first time. Suspension becomes a safety concern when it is bad. The faster you go and the bigger you jump the more risk you are putting yourself at and having poor suspension is just asking for trouble. When you ride a motocross bike your life depends on that bike. Don't cut corners to save money, cut corners to stay safe. Do it right the first time.

Post a reply to: RM250 suspension mods

The Latest