RM Triple Clamp Advice/Reducing Triple Clamp Offset

RussB
Fantasy
1164th
Edited Date/Time 6/6/2016 9:21am
I have a 2008 Suzuki RM250 and I had the lower stock triple clamp bored out in order to fit RMZ Showa A Kit forks.
Either I gave the machinist the wrong measurement or he took too much out but the clamps are not gripping the fork enough and I am finding the front end twists out of line in even the most pathetically small crashes.

I was intending to buy a 2nd hand set of stock RM clamps and get them re machined properly as a replacement, however it has been several months and I have not been able to track any down. I don't want to pay Suzuki OEM prices or fork out for an aftermarket set.

I have a spare set of stock triple clamps from my 2015 RMZ450, these will fit with the RM steering tube.
HOWEVER, the offset of these clamps is 1mm less (21.5mm as opposed to RM 22.5mm)

To make the RMZ clamps work I will have to fabricate new steering stops onto them, before I commit to this I want to understand what a 1mm reduced offset will do to the RM?
Will it be a positive change? Has anyone changed the offset on their RM and would anyone recommend this?

Any info would be awesome!
|
6/1/2016 7:42am
1mm less offset in the clamps will make the bike "shorter" and make it turn quicker/less stable at high speeds.

However, multiple aftermarket companies makes clamps with 2-3mm more/less offset so your 1mm will probably be ok, you can always adjust the forks in the clamp also, like you should do between hardpack/sand and slow/fast tracks.

Regarding steering stops I don't know on the suzuki.
6/1/2016 2:14pm
Try wrapping roofing flashing around the insides of the triple clamps. get someone to hold it there while you slide the forks back in. If your good at bending it you can bend a slight lip on both sides so it doesn't slide out when removing or installing the forks. I had to do this when I had my clamps bored out on my 01 cr250 to accomodate the PSF1 air forks. Made the holes too big
I believe the RG3 triple clamps for the rm250 s were 20mm offset.
1mm change in offset wont be drastic
tuggy450
6/1/2016 5:12pm Edited Date/Time 6/1/2016 5:28pm
less offset should increase trail that is my understanding. it should make steering slower, perhaps add stability...it will make the bike somewhat shorter, as kawasaki rider mentions but that's less than a chain adjustment. the real effect is the when you ride it sometimes more or less trail will feel better to riders finely tuned to it. doubt the 1mm will change things all that much but you never know. I would say give it a shot see how it feels. steering should feel slightly slower but more stable. seeing how most rm's will turn on a dime it might be beneficial
liamjumper
6/6/2016 9:21am
I find the RMs handle better than any other bike out there so I wouldn't even change the offset on them.

The Shop

6/6/2016 3:38pm
RussB wrote:
I have a 2008 Suzuki RM250 and I had the lower stock triple clamp bored out in order to fit RMZ Showa A Kit forks. Either...
I have a 2008 Suzuki RM250 and I had the lower stock triple clamp bored out in order to fit RMZ Showa A Kit forks.
Either I gave the machinist the wrong measurement or he took too much out but the clamps are not gripping the fork enough and I am finding the front end twists out of line in even the most pathetically small crashes.

I was intending to buy a 2nd hand set of stock RM clamps and get them re machined properly as a replacement, however it has been several months and I have not been able to track any down. I don't want to pay Suzuki OEM prices or fork out for an aftermarket set.

I have a spare set of stock triple clamps from my 2015 RMZ450, these will fit with the RM steering tube.
HOWEVER, the offset of these clamps is 1mm less (21.5mm as opposed to RM 22.5mm)

To make the RMZ clamps work I will have to fabricate new steering stops onto them, before I commit to this I want to understand what a 1mm reduced offset will do to the RM?
Will it be a positive change? Has anyone changed the offset on their RM and would anyone recommend this?

He's talking 21.5 mm to 22.5 mm. Shouldn't be huge diff. You ride clamps are 22 on your rm to 22.5 stock....
liamjumper
6/6/2016 3:42pm
RussB wrote:
I have a 2008 Suzuki RM250 and I had the lower stock triple clamp bored out in order to fit RMZ Showa A Kit forks. Either...

He's talking 21.5 mm to 22.5 mm. Shouldn't be huge diff. You ride clamps are 22 on your rm to 22.5 stock....
I got stock offset with my ride clamps for mine.
6/6/2016 3:49pm
RussB wrote:

liamjumper wrote:
I got stock offset with my ride clamps for mine.
2005 and up rm 125 stock offset is 22.5
Ride engineering clamps for the rm 125 are either 22 mm or 20mm
RussB
Fantasy
1164th
6/7/2016 12:06am
Thanks for all the input folks!

My aim isn't to change the handling of the RM, but with the RMZ clamps being the cheapest and easiest option for me at the moment I am curious to try them out. I've not played around with triple clamp offset before so I think it will be an interesting little project.
Worst case if I don't like the change, I can just remove the stops I'm going to add to the RMZ clamps and go back to the current RM clamps I'm using now.
I'm hoping to get to work on this at the end of this week/early next week so will report back on my progress!
Turbojez
1/4/2019 7:35am
RussB wrote:
Thanks for all the input folks! My aim isn't to change the handling of the RM, but with the RMZ clamps being the cheapest and easiest...
Thanks for all the input folks!

My aim isn't to change the handling of the RM, but with the RMZ clamps being the cheapest and easiest option for me at the moment I am curious to try them out. I've not played around with triple clamp offset before so I think it will be an interesting little project.
Worst case if I don't like the change, I can just remove the stops I'm going to add to the RMZ clamps and go back to the current RM clamps I'm using now.
I'm hoping to get to work on this at the end of this week/early next week so will report back on my progress!
Bringing this thread back from the dead.

Russ, I know you have tested heaps of different options on RM, how did the RMZ clamps experiment go? I am on the same boat right now, thinking of either putting the RMZ clamps on, or bore out the stockers. RMZ ones are Xtrigs, 21,5/18,5mm adjustable.
1/4/2019 5:49pm
I’m pretty sure Back in the mid 2000s the gncc teams were running the rg3 20mm clamps on the rm250s. On the rmz450 in 08 they ran the 20mm clamps and the rg3 linkage.
Ill see if I can dig up an old 06 RM250 test as they cut the steering tube off and moved it back a few mms for the 06 model. I guess extra trail worked well on those bikes. The rmz450 teams would run the rear wheel slammed all the way back against the stops.
H4L
1/5/2019 9:24am Edited Date/Time 1/5/2019 9:32am
I’m pretty sure Back in the mid 2000s the gncc teams were running the rg3 20mm clamps on the rm250s. On the rmz450 in 08 they...
I’m pretty sure Back in the mid 2000s the gncc teams were running the rg3 20mm clamps on the rm250s. On the rmz450 in 08 they ran the 20mm clamps and the rg3 linkage.
Ill see if I can dig up an old 06 RM250 test as they cut the steering tube off and moved it back a few mms for the 06 model. I guess extra trail worked well on those bikes. The rmz450 teams would run the rear wheel slammed all the way back against the stops.
You seem to know quite a bit about the RM's. Have an 06 RM250 I tried selling for over 6 months with no luck so I decided to keep it for now.
Do you know what is a good option on getting better stability with this chassis ? Had another 06 RM250 a few yrs. back with RG3 suspension work done that was slightly better afterwards, but was still unstable.

Looked for 24mm clamps for better stability on this bike (22.5mm oem) & it looks like the 00-03 models came with 24.5mm oem clamps. Do you know if they will bolt up to the 06 chassis ? I've never ran an aftermarket link, but would consider it if it really helps cure the ill handling. A steering stabilizer would not be an option since they're very pricey & not looking to invest that much money into this bike.

OP- Sorry for the hijack...
RussB
Fantasy
1164th
1/5/2019 9:52am Edited Date/Time 1/6/2019 3:41am
So my current, and best set up of all the ones I've tested is a KYB 48mm RMZ front fork, RMZ wheel, with a Pro Circuit RMZ clamp. I have left the clamp as is and have not built in stops. Although not ideal, the clamps contact the frame before anything else (rads or scoops etc), and although they turn further than the stock clamps, its not an issue for me.

I found OEM RMZ clamps and Neken RMZ clamps to lack the clearance at the lower clamp and therefore rubbed just a little. I posted photos of this in my RM250 Enduro Build thread.

I personally would go with an RMZ clamp over a bored out RM clamp. Mainly for peace of mind. Boring out a stock clamp is quite a challenging process and requires a very good machinist to do the work.

Handling wise I cant say the RMZ clamp made much of a difference, and if it has its not a negative one as I really like the way my RM handles at the moment.

With regards to the handling issue H4L posted, I've found the RM to be way better with a slightly stiffer fork spring. I'm 13 stone and originally ran my RM with a 5.0 shock spring and 0.42 fork springs. With this set up I would encounter some 'sketchy moments' as the forks rode a little low in the travel.
I'm now running a 0.44 spring, which holds the front end up higher. To compensate I have softened the valving a little but it still works very well.
1/5/2019 7:27pm
I would try what Russ said. Maybe try a lowering link too. I think the rmz450 05-07 ones might work on the rm if I remember correctly. You can also play around with rear axle position if u have two different length chains.
RussB
Fantasy
1164th
1/6/2019 3:45am
I would try what Russ said. Maybe try a lowering link too. I think the rmz450 05-07 ones might work on the rm if I remember...
I would try what Russ said. Maybe try a lowering link too. I think the rmz450 05-07 ones might work on the rm if I remember correctly. You can also play around with rear axle position if u have two different length chains.
Yes the link from an 05-07 RMZ450 fit the RM.

Funnily enough I have a Pro Circuit 05-07 RMZ link which is 1.5mm longer than the stock RM link.

I used to use it but no longer do with my current set up.
I would be willing to sell if you are interested H4L?
H4L
1/6/2019 7:19am
I would try what Russ said. Maybe try a lowering link too. I think the rmz450 05-07 ones might work on the rm if I remember...
RussB wrote:
Yes the link from an 05-07 RMZ450 fit the RM. Funnily enough I have a Pro Circuit 05-07 RMZ link which is 1.5mm longer than the...
Yes the link from an 05-07 RMZ450 fit the RM.

Funnily enough I have a Pro Circuit 05-07 RMZ link which is 1.5mm longer than the stock RM link.

I used to use it but no longer do with my current set up.
I would be willing to sell if you are interested H4L?
Thnxz Russ.. Sent you a PM..

Post a reply to: RM Triple Clamp Advice/Reducing Triple Clamp Offset

The Latest