Please describe what my 2t throttle response should be.

Slamdrew
Edited Date/Time 5/2/2014 12:01pm
So before I hardly got any rides on my 2003 cr 125, it was stolen. I recovered it, engine seized, laying in a ditch for god knows how long. I rebuilt it, and cleaned the carb. Since the rebuild, it is not how I remembered it. I don't know if its because I got used to how a 4 stroke feels, or if there is a real jetting issue.

I have done a pressure test already and have no air leaks. Shouldn't I be able to crack the throttle open when rolling slowly in first gear and have the engine work to get into high RPMs? Or are people really that serious when they stress that 2 strokes teach throttle control?

I am getting the lean buuwaahhhh mid throttle when I whack the slide wide open under load. It seems to take it if I slowly roll on the throttle. When not under a load, it takes any amount of throttle I give it. I bought a JD jet kit and installed everything per instructions and still am getting the same thing. This kind of got my attention because I have read that JD kits are always spot on.

Before I go in and fatten up the needle, could someone describe to me how a two stroke should respond to throttle under load when not in the power? Thanks and have a happy easter everyone.
|
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
4/20/2014 12:02pm
Giving it throttle under load when not in the power will result in it seeming sluggish. 125's don't make torque, and aren't meant to be ridden like that. You either feather the clutch, or tap dance on the shifter, or a combination of both. Sounds like your riding it like a 4 stroke.
Slamdrew
4/20/2014 3:55pm Edited Date/Time 4/20/2014 3:57pm
First of all, I laughed out loud because when my bike was stolen, it was recovered in Warren Ohio. But second, I am not talking about actually riding it fast. When I ride it on a track, I am only in the powerband or very close to it. I am just curious for tuning purposes. I guess I am probably asking and unanswerable question, or difficult to answer over text- what is an acceptable amount of bog in a two smoke?

Thanks for any advice.
Socket946
4/20/2014 6:04pm
What exactly does "2T" in the title stand for? What does the "T" designate?
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
5/1/2014 9:05am
Getting on the throttle under load when not in the powerband will result in the sound you describe. At that point it's just making noise. What you're hearing most likely is noise from the intake. If the bike runs clean, and takes any amount of throttle when not under load, it doesn't sound like the jetting is off to me.
Like I said before, a 125 isn't meant to be ridden like you describe. You don't just whack the throttle when it's not on the pipe. You whack the throttle and feather the clutch if you're not going to downshift.

The Shop

DTHA70
5/1/2014 9:21am
what does the plug look like? it shouldnt bog, it might not have much power down low but it should build power without hesitation until it gets on the pipe. piture of plug would be most helpful and post your current jetting
5/1/2014 11:44am
Socket946 wrote:
What exactly does "2T" in the title stand for? What does the "T" designate?
Tacht
German I think for cycle.
5/1/2014 2:16pm
DTHA70 wrote:
what does the plug look like? it shouldnt bog, it might not have much power down low but it should build power without hesitation until it...
what does the plug look like? it shouldnt bog, it might not have much power down low but it should build power without hesitation until it gets on the pipe. piture of plug would be most helpful and post your current jetting
2 other questions: Have you checked he power valve to make sure it isn't sticking? Have you set the air mixture screw?
Stooperbike
5/2/2014 8:53am
I have an 03 125, I did a major rebuild on it before I even rode it. When I got it together it had that same bog you are describing, it just did not seem like a normal 125. Turns out it was my powervalve, I had the gear one tooth off so it was open way before it should. It would have this bog and then a crazy hit to it. When I corrected it the bike was totally different. It really does not have a bog to it, even rolling with no clutch its pretty responsive. Even if you have never had it apart it may be worth looking at, who knows what happened when it was away from you.
Slamdrew
5/2/2014 12:01pm
Thanks for the help everyone. Stooper and Nationalwrench were spot on. I set the powervalve flaps in the head per the manuals instructions, but did not set the actuator correctly. My powervalve was stuck open. I really appreciate the help. Thankfully I was able to sell the bike the way it was meant to be.

Post a reply to: Please describe what my 2t throttle response should be.

The Latest