Pipe Repair Kit - where can I get one domestically?

11/8/2014 4:57am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2015 3:26pm
I lucked up and found an OEM pipe for my KX125 restoration. It has a couple of small dents in the largest section of the expansion chamber. I found a place online (in Oregon) that will fix dents for $60, plus shipping. I ride two stokes so there is a chance I'd need to do this again.. and again.. and the $60+shipping begins to add up quick.

Then I saw this tool which is only sold in Europe:
http://www.24mx.com/pipe-repair-kit

This one is specifically made for pipe repair and looks heavy duty, and pretty easy to use.

Where can I buy a kit just like the parts below, in America?

|
Sixeightone
11/8/2014 6:18am
Funny you mention this! I just did this to my ktm pipe to blow a dent out. It is very dangerous and you should not attempt this if you plan on using an acetylene torch. Those kits you see have no gauges built in to check the pressures. If you just put 50 psi and hit it with a torch the thing will open up like a tuna can right in your face. You're going to want to make your own so you can have a pressure release incase things get sketchy. There is a kid on youtube who made a homemade one that I copied and it worked very well, he describes how to make it, it's about a 14 minute video! BE VERY CAREFUL! WORK SLOW! AND WATCH YOUR PRESSURES!!
hvaughn88
11/8/2014 7:16am
I have no idea how well/if this works, but my uncle told me back in the day they used to fill them up with water and freeze them. He said when the water froze and expanded it would push out the dents. He said it worked on dents that weren't creased. Anyone else tried this?
Sixeightone
11/8/2014 7:49am
it works more on 4 stroke pipes than two stroke pipes, it is very hard to remove the dent without splitting the entire pipe!
rmartin517
11/8/2014 7:50am
I thought about doig this as well but pacific crest make wonders for 50.00 cash in the box call them and ask. Pretty good turn around as well. They will make your pipe look close to new again. I haven't had to send many. But indo have 2 in a box for some restores I am going to ship out monday.

The Shop

Joko
Fantasy
239th
11/8/2014 10:55am
I use www.FusionOneUSA.com in CT; they do a much better job for same price.
11/8/2014 2:00pm Edited Date/Time 11/8/2014 5:13pm
Thanks - just looking for the tools pictured in my first post to do this myself. I can't keep paying pipe repair companies when it can be done (carefully) at home.

Water is unpredictable.. read too many stories of people splitting welds this way.
Joko
Fantasy
239th
11/8/2014 2:14pm
Ok, a "pipe repair kit" is like an auto body repair kit, results depends on the operator.
Keep a first aid kit nearby with a ride to the ER waiting.
11/8/2014 5:13pm
Joko wrote:
Ok, a "pipe repair kit" is like an auto body repair kit, results depends on the operator. Keep a first aid kit nearby with a ride...
Ok, a "pipe repair kit" is like an auto body repair kit, results depends on the operator.
Keep a first aid kit nearby with a ride to the ER waiting.
Still no sources to buy the kit above stateside...
11/8/2014 5:19pm
Did a couple of low pipes for a flat track bike using two expandable freeze plugs, and no air pressure. Once each end is capped, and heat is applied, a fair amount of pressure builds on its own. Not perfect, but some pretty big dents came back into shape fairly well.
hvaughn88
11/8/2014 5:25pm
Thanks - just looking for the tools pictured in my first post to do this myself. I can't keep paying pipe repair companies when it can...
Thanks - just looking for the tools pictured in my first post to do this myself. I can't keep paying pipe repair companies when it can be done (carefully) at home.

Water is unpredictable.. read too many stories of people splitting welds this way.
That's fair enough. I've never tried it myself, just heard guys doing it.
scooter5002
11/8/2014 7:04pm
Never done it myself, but had a guy do my pipe years ago. He told me he used a rubber expansion plug in each end, and phosgene gas to fill the pipe, which expands quickly under heat. He took every little nick out of my pipe, even ones I wasn't concerned with. Aside from the discolouration from the heat applied, the pipe looked brand new. I understand the gas is a little nasty to work with, so get some expert opinions on that. Would think he also had a fitting in one plug to get the gas into the sealed pipe.
Joko
Fantasy
239th
11/8/2014 10:46pm
Phosgene gas??!!!? Are you serious? That gas was used as a chemical weapon in WW2. Is it extremely dangerous > 4ppm. Laboratory workers use detection badges to avoid exposure. I would hate to think if a kid somehow tried fixing his pipe with phosgene gas cause he heard it worked on Vital MX!!
scooter5002
11/8/2014 11:28pm
As I said, nasty stuff to work with. The guy I went to was a meticulous mechanic, no joke. Just repeating what he told me. He was alive when he gave it to me, and saw him around for years afterward. Cool
motodriller
11/9/2014 4:24am
Some people will believe anything that a mechanic says. Wow!
scooter5002
11/9/2014 8:15am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2014 8:16am
Maybe he just wanted to make sure no one would muscle in on his line of work, by lying about what gas he used. I'm thinking phosgene would do it. All I know is, I paid the guy 30 bucks, and got a pipe back that was in great shape.
Tracktor
11/11/2014 12:20pm
I made one myself pretty easy to do. And no, it won't "open like a tuna can" with 50lbs pressure unless you are a complete moron. Use a MAPP or butane/propane torch and anywhere from 20-50lbs psi. Creased dents are tough but I have taken out rock dents on many pipes. Be patient and tapping around the dent with a hammer can help also...................
Skerby
11/13/2014 9:42am Edited Date/Time 11/13/2014 9:43am
That kit is rad! Me and my dad used to use a couple expanding rubber plugs, we put a valve stem in one and would pressurize the pipe to around 120 psi.
Even after wiring the crap out of the plugs we still had about 5 of them come shooting out at mach 10. Someone should have been grievously injured, but we are all still here.

We started by using a propane torch, once we moved on to OA we were able to lower the pressure to like 50psi.
Eddie_E
11/13/2014 12:48pm
Joko wrote:
Phosgene gas??!!!? Are you serious? That gas was used as a chemical weapon in WW2. Is it extremely dangerous > 4ppm. Laboratory workers use detection badges...
Phosgene gas??!!!? Are you serious? That gas was used as a chemical weapon in WW2. Is it extremely dangerous > 4ppm. Laboratory workers use detection badges to avoid exposure. I would hate to think if a kid somehow tried fixing his pipe with phosgene gas cause he heard it worked on Vital MX!!
This is a corny mechanics joke, that is half true. Phosgene gas is created by heating chlorinated brake cleaner with a torch. So if you clean a weld area with brake cleaner and then heat it....
Phosgene kills by permanently blocking the lung tissue from breathing, no O2 in and no CO2 out. Don't do this as loosing 50~90% of your breathing capacity for life does horrible things to your lap times in a 15 min. moto.
Joko
Fantasy
239th
11/13/2014 1:37pm
Vital MX Chemical Engineering and EHS dispositions at its finest.
urola
11/13/2014 2:03pm
Is better to buy a new pipe that do dangerous experiments..
NHtoWA421
11/16/2014 2:56pm
Skerby wrote:
That kit is rad! Me and my dad used to use a couple expanding rubber plugs, we put a valve stem in one and would pressurize...
That kit is rad! Me and my dad used to use a couple expanding rubber plugs, we put a valve stem in one and would pressurize the pipe to around 120 psi.
Even after wiring the crap out of the plugs we still had about 5 of them come shooting out at mach 10. Someone should have been grievously injured, but we are all still here.

We started by using a propane torch, once we moved on to OA we were able to lower the pressure to like 50psi.
Christ. haha
this randomly brought back memories of my dad and i making a potato cannon in the garage, and thinking it was a good idea to touch that sucker off inside. POW! big ass hole in the wall of the garage.... thats when first heard the phrase "cam, there are some things that you just cant tell mom.... "
KMC440
11/16/2014 5:16pm
I used to cut the bent up part out and straighten it then weld it back in ... it really is easy.
Micahdogg
11/17/2014 7:37am
Tracktor wrote:
I made one myself pretty easy to do. And no, it won't "open like a tuna can" with 50lbs pressure unless you are a complete moron...
I made one myself pretty easy to do. And no, it won't "open like a tuna can" with 50lbs pressure unless you are a complete moron. Use a MAPP or butane/propane torch and anywhere from 20-50lbs psi. Creased dents are tough but I have taken out rock dents on many pipes. Be patient and tapping around the dent with a hammer can help also...................
Do you pressurize it to 50, then add heat? Or are you just capping the ends and the heat builds to 50 psi on it's own?
BAMX
11/17/2014 10:39am
Tracktor wrote:
I made one myself pretty easy to do. And no, it won't "open like a tuna can" with 50lbs pressure unless you are a complete moron...
Micahdogg wrote:
Do you pressurize it to 50, then add heat? Or are you just capping the ends and the heat builds to 50 psi on it's own?
I start at around 5 psi. The pressure will build up as you heat it. WEAR A SAFETY SHIELD AND NEVER STAND IN FRONT OF THE PLUGS.
BAMX
11/17/2014 10:42am
Joko wrote:
Phosgene gas??!!!? Are you serious? That gas was used as a chemical weapon in WW2. Is it extremely dangerous > 4ppm. Laboratory workers use detection badges...
Eddie_E wrote:
This is a corny mechanics joke, that is half true. Phosgene gas is created by heating chlorinated brake cleaner with a torch. So if you clean...
This is a corny mechanics joke, that is half true. Phosgene gas is created by heating chlorinated brake cleaner with a torch. So if you clean a weld area with brake cleaner and then heat it....
Phosgene kills by permanently blocking the lung tissue from breathing, no O2 in and no CO2 out. Don't do this as loosing 50~90% of your breathing capacity for life does horrible things to your lap times in a 15 min. moto.
Tracktor
11/17/2014 11:13am
Tracktor wrote:
Micahdogg wrote:
I usually start around 20lbs psi then start adding heat. Depends on the size & type of dent. Some come out pretty easy bit if there is a crease it can be a bitch............
11/17/2014 11:48am
Tracktor wrote:
I usually start around 20lbs psi then start adding heat. Depends on the size & type of dent. Some come out pretty easy bit if there...
I usually start around 20lbs psi then start adding heat. Depends on the size & type of dent. Some come out pretty easy bit if there is a crease it can be a bitch............
I'll take a pic of the KX pipe tonight and post here.
Micahdogg
11/17/2014 12:15pm
Tracktor wrote:
Micahdogg wrote:
Tracktor wrote:
I usually start around 20lbs psi then start adding heat. Depends on the size & type of dent. Some come out pretty easy bit if there...
Thanks. What is the max pressure you allow before starting to freak out?
Micahdogg
5/6/2015 8:32am
I built a kit this past week and tried it out last night. Maximum pressure that I got up to was 80 psi. I didn't notice the torch doing much to increase pressure at all, so I was getting the dent cherry red then blasting some pressure in there from say 40 psi to 80 psi. I was working with creased dents and they came out probably 75% of the way, but the creases aren't moving much.

Any tips on how to work the creases out? Do you use heat inside to outside, or outside to inside the dent? I even tried tapping with a body hammer, but I couldn't tell if it was moving the dent. Is 100 psi too much to work with? This is an OEM modern RM250 pipe.

Post a reply to: Pipe Repair Kit - where can I get one domestically?

The Latest