Paper or stainless oil filter use?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/6/2013 6:50 PM

Is a paper oil filter capable of catching smaller particles than the typical aftermarket stainless oil filters?
I've heard conflicting stories on both sides...?

|

12/7/2013 8:05 AM

I would think the stainless would do a better job, but don't have any proof of that. Even if they did the same job the stainless can be cleaned and reused you can't do that with paper.

|

12/7/2013 5:11 PM

I have had two stainless. Some like the Tusk are about $30 and pay for themselves pretty fast. If one was junk and letting dirt in, how would you know?

|

12/8/2013 3:17 PM

It's kind of an unknown...I use paper and change it every 2nd oil change....maybe overkill, but when I bought the bike it had a collapsed paper filter and a blown top end. (paid $500 for a blown up 2yr old 250f in pieces in the trunk of a car....with title)

|

Many thanks to everyone helping me out this GNCC season: SRT Offroad, Acerbis, FCR Suspension, O'Neal Racing, Evans Waterless Coolants, Rekluse, Twin Air, Braking Brakes, Carbsport

Profile image credit Ken Hill Photography

12/9/2013 8:27 AM

Paper will catch smaller particles from what I've heard.

|

recmx.com

REC MX, JE Pistons, Wiseco, Rusk Racing, Yoshimura, Enzo Racing, Dubya Wheels, Asterisk, Rocket Performance, CCR Sport, & MMR

12/9/2013 7:32 PM

Modern four strokes are heavy on maintenance especially the oil (cheapest part of any bike)
The stainless steel filters are the way to go IMO,
I bought one & used the same filter(checking it for defects @every oil change) for three model years on my yamaha four strokes
They are worth the extra money.
Cheers, Pat

|