PW 50 wont start!

9/17/2013 12:09pm
2stroke153 wrote:
If my compression is low is it probably my top end? I have done the soapy water spray and couldn't see anything. I will try taking...
If my compression is low is it probably my top end? I have done the soapy water spray and couldn't see anything. I will try taking exhaust off and also spraying into intake. I can bore the cylinder myself, just don't want to drop another hundred bucks for new top end if not the problem.
What was the clearances when you measured ? I can get a bit better break on a Yamaha piston, rings, etc, than $100 if you decide to go that way.
2stroke153
9/17/2013 1:24pm
2stroke153 wrote:
If my compression is low is it probably my top end? I have done the soapy water spray and couldn't see anything. I will try taking...
If my compression is low is it probably my top end? I have done the soapy water spray and couldn't see anything. I will try taking exhaust off and also spraying into intake. I can bore the cylinder myself, just don't want to drop another hundred bucks for new top end if not the problem.
What was the clearances when you measured ? I can get a bit better break on a Yamaha piston, rings, etc, than $100 if you decide...
What was the clearances when you measured ? I can get a bit better break on a Yamaha piston, rings, etc, than $100 if you decide to go that way.
Need to actually measure the piston. Forgot to take that with me, but the cylinder was in tolerance for diameter, taper and out of roundness according to the manual. It does have some minor scuffing in it though. I had found a kit on ebay ( Yamaha oem. and also a wiseco ) for about eighty dollars. Thats covering pin bearing and gaskets also. How do I measure the ring end gap?
9/17/2013 4:44pm Edited Date/Time 9/17/2013 5:02pm
Take the rings off the piston, and using the piston as a guide, insert one ring at a time into the bore, and square it up in the bore with the piston. Just imagine the ring in its normal position in the cylinder, and with a feeler gauge, measure the gap. About an inch into the bore is sufficient.

Do this with one ring at a time. Don't try to stuff them both in the cylinder at once.

More times than not, even when bored / honed to spec, the rings gaps will lean toward the loose side of spec.

.006 - .014 is the spec for PW ring end gap.

But in the end, if there is too much piston to bore clearance, ring end gap is irrelevant.

I prefer the cast Yamaha pistons over the Wiseco. Wiseco calls for a bit more piston to bore clearance , initially. They tend to be a bit noisy on start up. Let it warm up for at least 5 minutes with a Wiseco before every ride. They are my last choice if I have one.

Be sure you have tried the cheap , free stuff first before you spend any money. Did you try it with no pipe ? Check the piston arrow ? Rings are not stuck in the grooves ? Can you keep it running on starter fluid ?

Chances are, if it will stay running on fluid, it has enough squeeze to run on gas.

$80 is not too bad on a complete piston kit with all you mentioned. My dealer would be at about $70 for the same, as I get a small discount.

I have a complete OEM Yamaha cylinder and top end kit, new in the box. If interested I would let it go, but sure would hate to see that not fix things.
2stroke153
9/17/2013 5:06pm
I tried start up without the exhaust and nothing changed. The arrow on piston is facing down and the rings are free. I plan to mic up piston and check ring end gap hopefully tomorrow. I will also try the starter fluid test. Thanks again

The Shop

mx5471
9/17/2013 6:18pm
2stroke153, I re-read this whole thread tonight. Your compression is a little low. Motor starts with gas in the plug hole. You said you checked the reed valve. I'm starting to think that may be the problem. You can get a new petal for $20. There's a leak some where that's not letting the motor suck in the air and gas. The reed is the second component after the carb. If the reed is open a little bit, you will lose compression. My son's first bike was a yz80, it blew a piston, I fixed it at the track and he ran the second moto. I got a new piston and ring in there with help from a guy at the track. Went to start it before going to practice a couple days later and nothing. I dove into it for the first time, and found a tiny chuck of the piston had lodged itself it the reed holding it open, and no start. Took it out, and fired it up. The reed is the valve of the two stroke. It's just a shot, but easy and cheap.
2stroke153
9/17/2013 6:25pm
I just did a quick check of the piston with a pair of dial calipers and it appears to be rather eggshaped? There is approximately .006 of difference in dia as i check rotating around the piston and check from top to bottom. This is the practically new ebay kit piston. The old oem piston has some pretty good scarring on it from the exhaust port it looks like. Would this eggshaping or dia difference of the actual piston make a big difference being that the rings are what is actually your sealing point? Or am I way off on my thinking?
2stroke153
9/18/2013 4:55am
mx5471 wrote:
2stroke153, I re-read this whole thread tonight. Your compression is a little low. Motor starts with gas in the plug hole. You said you checked the...
2stroke153, I re-read this whole thread tonight. Your compression is a little low. Motor starts with gas in the plug hole. You said you checked the reed valve. I'm starting to think that may be the problem. You can get a new petal for $20. There's a leak some where that's not letting the motor suck in the air and gas. The reed is the second component after the carb. If the reed is open a little bit, you will lose compression. My son's first bike was a yz80, it blew a piston, I fixed it at the track and he ran the second moto. I got a new piston and ring in there with help from a guy at the track. Went to start it before going to practice a couple days later and nothing. I dove into it for the first time, and found a tiny chuck of the piston had lodged itself it the reed holding it open, and no start. Took it out, and fired it up. The reed is the valve of the two stroke. It's just a shot, but easy and cheap.
I too thought that the reeds could have been the issue. It was one of the first things I checked. I've had bikes in the past that have had chipped or cracked reeds and it definitely had an impact on starting. The reeds appeared to be in good shape and seem to seal well. I might try a new set once I get this other stuff checked as it is a low cost part. Thanks for your continued help.
mx5471
9/18/2013 5:54am
I think that's normal for the piston. Most people think they are perfectly round but they are not.
2stroke153
9/18/2013 8:18am
mx5471 wrote:
I think that's normal for the piston. Most people think they are perfectly round but they are not.
Yamaha specs for piston to wall clearance is .0013-.0018. Never going to hold that tolerance with .006 of runout on the piston. I checked both my pistons (oem from Yamaha and the kit piston) and both have taper from top to bottom which I believe is normal. The oem piston has hardly any runout when checked at the same depth with an indicator and rotated on a v block. The kit piston has upwards of .006 at numerous different depths along the piston. Not sure if this matters, but oem definitely machined much tighter and truer!
Tdub13
9/18/2013 9:28am
Pistons are normally oval and tapered. This is on purpose so they become round when at operating temp.

I think your problem is the reeds also. Take off the intake manifold, and flip the reeds for good measure.

I've got a first year PW, 1981, on the original bore and it still runs after being mercilessly beat by 2+ generations of punk-ass kids even before I got it. It had a pine needle stuck in a reed, which was -of course- the last thing left to check when it wouldn't start. But it runs great even with low compression. They're not race bikes.

If the reeds are good, then it's the fuel system, which luckily will already be off the bike. On my bike, the carb is so close to the fuel petcock that I had to run the fuel line through a spring to keep it from kinking. Also, drain the bowl a few times to make sure you're not getting water in there. A small amount of water could be plugging those tiny jets. Drain from the bottom of the bowl (the screw next to the tube) and drain it onto cement so you can see what comes out. Water will not soak in like fuel.

Good luck!
9/18/2013 7:00pm
Expect the kit to be a little less exacting than the OEM stuff as far as tolerances. About out of ideas. I have used a few of them with good results.

Is the little plastic insert in the front of the carb where it slides onto the intake in good condition ?

If the bike was always hard to start, on the original top end , as well as the kit top end, seems like there may be something else going on.

Unless both top ends have so much piston to bore clearance that neither develop good cranking pressure.
2stroke153
9/18/2013 7:46pm
I re-checked the reeds today and I think they are in good shape. If i turn out the lights and shine a flash light down through the reed valve I can see only a slither of light . I flipped the reeds and the gap doubled so i reinstalled them as they were. The gaskets are in good shape also. Should there be no gap at all?

The plastic insert on the carb looks to be in fine shape too and fits pretty snug.

I really appreciate all of you guys ideas and help!
2stroke153
9/22/2013 11:52am
2Stroke153, you having any luck with the PW ? What's the latest ?
I have a new set of reeds on the way and also a new oversize oem top end coming. I did the starter fluid straight through the intake and could get the bike to run fora few seconds like that but nothing real extended. My compression is still real low (90 psi) so new reeds and a new top end cant hurt. Crossing my fingers and we'll see what happens. Running out of ideas for sure!!
9/22/2013 4:45pm
If that does not do it, I am about out of ideas as well. Try to get the final clearance as close to specs as possible when doing the final hone. The only time I ever replaced a set of reeds on a PW was when I did a modified build, with some fiber reeds.

I used one of those 3 mm rev plates that fit under the cylinder, and took .125 off the top deck of the cylinder. The exhaust port was too high when this was installed, and cranking pressure was about 105 psi. Took .020 off the head, and got about 115 out of it.

More hype than hump from that deal. I should have just raised the exhaust port myself by about 1mm, and had the head cut and rechambered.

It was not much better than a stock PW . Live and learn. The best thing I found to wake the PW up was a set of QT ring and pinion gears. A bit lower ratio, pulls better from low end . Still have the setup around here somewhere.
2stroke153
9/22/2013 5:18pm
Yea I'm hoping for some luck with a new top end.

I've heard about the QT ring gear swap. Maybe I can take that off your hands one day if I can ever get this baby running. First things first though. Thanks again.
Tdub13
9/22/2013 5:47pm
The QT ring gear swap works well. I also ended up taking the clutch apart and cutting a major amount of metal off the shoes to lighten them up, about half of each shoe. It raised the engagement RPM enough to make a real difference. My kids grew out of it before I got to porting and head redesign. Probably a good thing... Wink
I'm out of ideas without being there to look at the bike. There's not much to 'em.
mx5471
9/22/2013 6:41pm
Those little bikes are usually pretty forgiving. I could tell a story about a Honda 70 you wouldn't believe. Keep it simple. 2stroke 153, you will fix it. Sometimes the fix requires doing what you are doing. Each problem is different, and it may be several little things causing the problem. You got good help here, and stick to the basics.
gharmon
9/23/2013 7:45pm
Not to highjack his tread but i just bought a used QT gear of ebay. I don't have a manual but is it a faily easy swap? Since it didn't come with insrtuctions (used) I assume the gear is up at the engine end and not the wheel end, is that right?

Thanks,

PS , I'm following your tread closely as my pw not running too great either. MIne will run though, just have to keep it running with the throttle cause it won't idle. That's doesn't affect me but it's making it hard on my 4 year old grandson. I fiddled with the stupid ass carb and it appears fine (jets all look good). I just bought a new carb off ebay. Haven't installed it yet though.

I got a question for one of you though, when i change out the carb it has the hose that goes from carb to oil injector pump looks to have some form of band clamp. How does that come off? It doesn't appear to just slide off.
9/24/2013 3:08am Edited Date/Time 9/24/2013 3:13am
The QT gears are the ring and pinion gear in the housing at the rear wheel of the bike. Basically , the PW axle shaft has to be pressed out of the ring gear, and pressed back into the QT ring gear. That is the biggest part of the swap. Might as well put some new bearings in the housing while you are at it.

Make sure you use the both QT ring and pinion gears, as they both have different number of teeth to achieve the lower ratio than the PW. You can use a spark plug wrench to remove the pinion nut in the housing. There is also a primary gear that is sold that lowers the ratio to QT spec. It replaces the stock PW gear on the clutch side of the crank.

The little clamp on the oil line has a split in it. Just find the split, gently pry it open, and slide it down the line. Careful ,they are easily distorted.
gharmon
9/24/2013 2:08pm
I think I just have the primary gear. It doesn't appear to be a ring and pinion set up. Is the primary gear easy to change?
9/24/2013 4:43pm
gharmon wrote:
I think I just have the primary gear. It doesn't appear to be a ring and pinion set up. Is the primary gear easy to change?
Once you get the clutch cover off, yes, it is simple. The snag is, the clutch cover can not be removed without basically taking the engine out of the frame. That's the fun of the PW.

I considered the primary gear, but lucked onto a junker QT ,and snagged the differential out of it. Stabbed in a PW axle, along with new bearings, seals, brakes. The rear diff / housings can be swapped in about 10-15 minutes .

Set aside a good hour for the primary gear swap, more if you have never taken a PW apart.
mx5471
10/1/2013 4:27pm
2stroke153, what happened with that bike? I'm waiting to hear the success story.
2stroke153
10/2/2013 4:17pm
I wasn't trying to keep you guys in the dark. I actually just got the parts on saturday and got the cylinder bored yesterday. So, anyway, I bored/honed the cylinder .02 over and installed the knew oem top end kit. I had already shaved .02 off the head, I installed the new boyesen reeds and........nothing!!....... RATS!!! My compression is still right around 90psi. I definitely have a leak somewhere. I replaced the stator side crank seal already, could it be the clutch side? I know I have to remove the motor to access the clutch. I am not sure where to go after that though. Should I check somewhere else first? This baby should be pumping out atleast 120 psi right now!! Help guys
gharmon
10/2/2013 5:49pm
gharmon wrote:
Once you get the clutch cover off, yes, it is simple. The snag is, the clutch cover can not be removed without basically taking the engine...
Once you get the clutch cover off, yes, it is simple. The snag is, the clutch cover can not be removed without basically taking the engine out of the frame. That's the fun of the PW.

I considered the primary gear, but lucked onto a junker QT ,and snagged the differential out of it. Stabbed in a PW axle, along with new bearings, seals, brakes. The rear diff / housings can be swapped in about 10-15 minutes .

Set aside a good hour for the primary gear swap, more if you have never taken a PW apart.
Hey, I'm really not trying to steal this guys tread but no sense in starting a new one while this one is going good and we already have the guys with the knowledge paying attention to this tread.

Anyway, I installed my primary gear today and have a couple questions. The old primary gear that came of had like metal spacer/thingy with rubber in it kinda like a balancer on a car. The primary gear I installed was one I bought second hand off ebay. It was a solid gear with no way to reuse the spacer/rubber/thingy with it. Is this the way most aftermarket gears for these bikes are. My gear did have one less tooth than the original so I assume it's at least different.

Yeah the way you have to pull the engine out this thing to get clutch cover is pretty stupid. But like anything else, it's been done once now so it will be easier next time.

Thanks
10/2/2013 8:50pm Edited Date/Time 10/2/2013 8:53pm
2stroke153 wrote:
I wasn't trying to keep you guys in the dark. I actually just got the parts on saturday and got the cylinder bored yesterday. So, anyway...
I wasn't trying to keep you guys in the dark. I actually just got the parts on saturday and got the cylinder bored yesterday. So, anyway, I bored/honed the cylinder .02 over and installed the knew oem top end kit. I had already shaved .02 off the head, I installed the new boyesen reeds and........nothing!!....... RATS!!! My compression is still right around 90psi. I definitely have a leak somewhere. I replaced the stator side crank seal already, could it be the clutch side? I know I have to remove the motor to access the clutch. I am not sure where to go after that though. Should I check somewhere else first? This baby should be pumping out atleast 120 psi right now!! Help guys
.02 or .002 ? .002 is right at the loose end of spec. .02 is not even close to spec.

Hundredths vs Thousandths.

If you suspect you still have an air leak some where, the best thing to do is a leak down test of the engine assembly.

Pull the engine out of the frame, pull the stator , flywheel, and clutch assembly , so that both main seals are visible.

You will need to make a plug / plate to seal the exhaust port, a plug for the intake, which will need to be plumbed for a Schrader valve, a small hand pump, low pressure gauge, a vacuum T, and some vacuum line , to make a pressure tester.

You basically want both intake and exhaust ports sealed tightly, using the Schrader port to pump about 7-10 PSI of air into the engine. T the line into the low pressure gauge to monitor pressure / leakage. Leave the spark plug in it, making sure it is also tested for leaks at it's gasket.

You want the piston at bottom dead center as you pressurize the engine.

At 7-10 PSI , the engine should hold this pressure for at least 3-5 minutes without more than a small percentage of loss.

While under pressure, spray every seal, gasket mating surface, case half mating surface on the engine with a soapy water solution, and check for leaks. Soak it down good.

If the engine holds pressure, and no signs of a leak are detected, re -check your piston to bore clearance.

Or just pop a clutch side crank seal in it, go back together , and see what happens.
10/2/2013 9:11pm
gharmon wrote:
Hey, I'm really not trying to steal this guys tread but no sense in starting a new one while this one is going good and we...
Hey, I'm really not trying to steal this guys tread but no sense in starting a new one while this one is going good and we already have the guys with the knowledge paying attention to this tread.

Anyway, I installed my primary gear today and have a couple questions. The old primary gear that came of had like metal spacer/thingy with rubber in it kinda like a balancer on a car. The primary gear I installed was one I bought second hand off ebay. It was a solid gear with no way to reuse the spacer/rubber/thingy with it. Is this the way most aftermarket gears for these bikes are. My gear did have one less tooth than the original so I assume it's at least different.

Yeah the way you have to pull the engine out this thing to get clutch cover is pretty stupid. But like anything else, it's been done once now so it will be easier next time.

Thanks
The aftermarket primary gears do not use the rubber dampers that the stock primary gear uses. Have never used one of them, but with no dampers, it may have a bit more drive line / clutch engagement shock than the stock damper setup.

If low gearing is the goal, the shorter the overall tire height , the lower the overall final ratio will be. Taller tire, taller overall ratio.
Tdub13
10/3/2013 4:47am
2stroke153: .020" should be fine to take off of the head. You probably wouldn't notice any difference in performance anyway. But for what it's worth, at least it will clean up the gasket surface. I think the top end will be low on compression until the rings get seated. But it sounds like there's still something amiss. Have you used a new base gasket and made absolutely sure the old one is gone? Sometimes they get so old that they can be hard as rock and dark, looking like the cast steel of the cylinder. The bike may have come to you with two installed. (??) We've all seen some crazy stuff. Also, I was thinking: I had a friend with a KX250 and same thing: couldn't figure out why it wouldn't run. We finally noticed a small hole between the cases where they split in front. A rock must have hit it and made a wierd chip. Anyway it = almost no crankcase compression. But we didn't see it until we cleaned the heck out of it. Don't give up!

Gharmon: I wouldn't worry about the cush vs the non-cush drive. It makes no difference for a dirt bike. I do wonder about how one gear can be swapped out for a different size without the mating gear being changed. Seems like the teeth won't engage the way they were designed to, due to one smaller gear. I guess it doesn't matter too much in such a low HP machine.

Keep us posted and good luck to you both!
2stroke153
10/4/2013 10:23am
When I said .02" I was referring to the oversize amount I bored the cylinder vs the stock size (.02" oversize piston also) Smile I left .0013" piston to bore clearance which is right on low limit according to yamaha specs. I currently have the motor out of the frame and I guess I'll try the clutch side crank seal. Thanks again guys

Post a reply to: PW 50 wont start!

The Latest