Losing 2-3 tablespoons of Coolant, is this normal during the hot weather or a blown head gasket?

DuroTools
So I'm losing a little coolant every ride and I don't ever remember ever losing coolant before. It's not coming out of the overflow cause my tube is short and I would see residue if it was so can it be anything other than Head Gasket leak or the head bolts not tight enough???
I can't do the running test with the rad cap off because my radiator has a return hose right by the cap so it's moving too much to tell if there is bubbles. Was gonna test the radiator pressure but hoping someone tells me I'm being paranoid and this is normal during summer!
|
8/23/2016 4:09am
Are you seeing steam in the exhaust? Need more info. Bike? Type? 4 stroke? Have you stopped when the bike is good and hot and thoroughly inspected the cooling system for leaks?
Paw Paw
8/23/2016 5:46am
It could be coming from the water pump drip hole at the bottom of the engine. This would indicate a water pump seal is bad and in need of replacement.

Paw Paw
racinstation
Fantasy
1912th
8/23/2016 6:56am
I would agree with Paw Paw....first place to check is the weep hole under the pump. You should see some staining or residue next to the hole. You can clean it up good with contact cleaner and then run the bike. Usually a head gasket will smoke and as stated above you will have coolant in the oil.

The Shop

DuroTools
8/23/2016 10:07am
Are you seeing steam in the exhaust? Need more info. Bike? Type? 4 stroke? Have you stopped when the bike is good and hot and thoroughly...
Are you seeing steam in the exhaust? Need more info. Bike? Type? 4 stroke? Have you stopped when the bike is good and hot and thoroughly inspected the cooling system for leaks?
Thanks for all the responses! It's an 04 RMZ250 4 stroke, no leaks, no coolant in oil, I haven't noticed smoke or steam but then again I'm faced forward while riding but have noticed a sweet smell so I'll have to start it and see if I can look for any. I'm thinking a tiny bit of coolants getting into the cylinder then burning up cause after 30 miles of riding I'm only losing about two tablespoons, also the head gasket was done at beginning of spring and I've ridden one day a week for about 4-6 hours per day so over 100 hours on the gasket.
DuroTools
8/23/2016 10:10am
Paw Paw wrote:
It could be coming from the water pump drip hole at the bottom of the engine. This would indicate a water pump seal is bad and...
It could be coming from the water pump drip hole at the bottom of the engine. This would indicate a water pump seal is bad and in need of replacement.

Paw Paw
Thanks Paw Paw and Racin station, I'll check that when I get done with work and report back!
DuroTools
8/23/2016 1:05pm
I would agree with Paw Paw....first place to check is the weep hole under the pump. You should see some staining or residue next to the...
I would agree with Paw Paw....first place to check is the weep hole under the pump. You should see some staining or residue next to the hole. You can clean it up good with contact cleaner and then run the bike. Usually a head gasket will smoke and as stated above you will have coolant in the oil.
There is residue right near the hole but nothing crazy, it doesn't go all the way down the engine and to the bottom but I could have blasted it off when washing it so I guess I'm gonna have to remember to check it before I wash the bike this weekend. Thanks again guys!
Paw Paw
8/23/2016 1:26pm
If you have the sweet smell, you are losing coolant and not burning it.
Have you replaced the radiator cap. They get weak and it really should have a 1.6 cap.
If the hole is the problem then you will need to rebuild the water pump. I would almost bet that is the problem from your description.

Paw Paw
DuroTools
8/23/2016 2:16pm
Ya I had a 1.6 cap but changed it to the 1.1 cause I was worried that the extra pressure could have caused the leak and not much changed after the swap. I just started it and let run for a few minutes and no fluid came out the weep hole, no smoke and no steam but when hand was in front of exhaust my hand did get a tiny bit moist but this could be from the heat making my hand sweat so hard to tell from that.

How long would it take of running to have fluid come from the weep hole?
racinstation
Fantasy
1912th
8/23/2016 3:02pm
The time you need to have it run is different depending on the seal failure.

I would tape a piece of white paper towel over the hole and go ride it for a few minutes. If the paper towel has coolant on it, you are leaking. For a bike to leak a small amount as you are describing, it will be a VERY small or slow leak.

DuroTools
8/28/2016 12:22pm
So this is what the weep hole looked like after 3 hrs or 30 Miles of running. The skid plate is in the way so it's hard to see but it did drip to bottom of engine then stops cause there's no visual residue on frame or skid plate below. Does it evaporate from engine heat or wind while running cause this doesn't look like even a teaspoon of fluid loss and it lost 3 tablespoons or 45ml? Thanks

imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
8/28/2016 3:51pm
Put a new seal in that bad boy and you should be good to go.
Paw Paw
8/28/2016 3:52pm
Yep, looks like you need a water pump rebuild.

Paw Paw
DuroTools
8/28/2016 6:44pm
Cool, better than a Head Gasket! thanks PawPaw and others!
EEE299
8/30/2016 8:41am
If you are overfilling your radiators it is likely you will lose a bit of coolant as well. So if you continue to lose coolant be mindful of this.
BobPA
8/30/2016 9:19am
Those 04's had a reputation to over heat and push coolant. A catch tank would not be a bad idea for that bike
DuroTools
8/31/2016 2:52pm
BobPA wrote:
Those 04's had a reputation to over heat and push coolant. A catch tank would not be a bad idea for that bike
Thanks Bob but I added a Spal fan and thermostat same as new yz250fx has and some other ktm's. Ever since I don't have overheating issues that used to plague this bike and haven't spued any coolant in the year since the mod. It also fixed the frequent valve maintenance I was having to do and other issues which leads me to believe that heat was the main problem causing these engines their bad reliability rap.

Post a reply to: Losing 2-3 tablespoons of Coolant, is this normal during the hot weather or a blown head gasket?

The Latest