Labor Charge

youwish16
3/7/2014 1:48pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2014 8:57am
Rough estimate, how much would it cost to get a 2003 YZ125 bottom and top end rebuilt at a shop if I had all the parts necessary? Any info would be appreciated.
|
slipdog
3/7/2014 1:57pm Edited Date/Time 3/7/2014 2:02pm
It depends on the labor rates in your part of the country. Yamaha flat rate for that motor is around 5.3hrs so here in California that'd be around $477-$530. That does assume you deliver the entire bike with the motor still in the frame.
Paw Paw 271
3/7/2014 3:31pm
Most service departments will not take in a job where the parts are supplied. The parts are a profit center for them as well as the labor. I know as a service manager for some time that I would not take that job in as most would come in with aftermarket parts and then want to hold me responsible if they failed. You may be able to find an independent shop that will do it for you cheaper.

Paw Paw
youwish16
3/7/2014 4:44pm
slipdog wrote:
It depends on the labor rates in your part of the country. Yamaha flat rate for that motor is around 5.3hrs so here in California that'd...
It depends on the labor rates in your part of the country. Yamaha flat rate for that motor is around 5.3hrs so here in California that'd be around $477-$530. That does assume you deliver the entire bike with the motor still in the frame.
I checked out one of the shops around here. The Service Manager told me it was about 10 hours and about $700. There are a few other places I want to check out
markit
3/8/2014 10:07am
I have been charging 250 (top) 450 complete.

The Shop

tzmike
3/13/2014 1:41pm
I add 20% to the labor with Customer Supplied Parts. I have a big sign at the counter and for those who don't understand I also have " DO YOU BRING YOUR OWN STEAK TO THE OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE FOR THEM TO COOK IT?". Most, not all get the message . Lastly, I warrantee NOTHING when it comes to installation of used parts and also charge accordingly if I am given the wrong parts and it is extra labor time.
Sixeightone
3/14/2014 8:31am
If you're bringing the bike into the shop, expect to walk out with a $1000 bill with parts and labor because they're going to want to replace things that you do not. Even though they're making you spend more money, most of the time the shop will be willing to make sure your investment is going to last so they don't have you coming back to complain that something broke. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!!
tzmike
3/14/2014 10:01am
Bravo. Doin it right the first time is key. Your riding instead of fixing more shit. And many times the shop will make "reccomendations" on other items to replace rather than forcing them down your throat. Use some common sense when going over the work with the tech. If your not comfortable with the mechanical jargon, bring another "set of ears" with you that may have a bit more mech knowledge.
Good luck with your build !
markit
3/18/2014 6:01am
As above if you supply your own parts your not going to get any warranty from the shop (i wouldn't also) I've never really marked up parts at a high % but its easier going through my suppler on replacement parts. I would recommend being you have the parts to try to find a friend that can build it and get them to help.
youwish16
3/18/2014 7:38am
markit wrote:
As above if you supply your own parts your not going to get any warranty from the shop (i wouldn't also) I've never really marked up...
As above if you supply your own parts your not going to get any warranty from the shop (i wouldn't also) I've never really marked up parts at a high % but its easier going through my suppler on replacement parts. I would recommend being you have the parts to try to find a friend that can build it and get them to help.
Well this is the route I went. Me and my dad, who is an auto mechanic, are working on the motor. We took the motor out and tore down the top end. We are currently waiting on a new cylinder. We are going to tear down the bottom end this weekend. A guy at my dad's work, who is experience dirt bike mechanic, said he would help out if we need him too.

Might as well learn how to work on them, right?
youwish16
3/19/2014 6:08am
Sadly, won't be able to get it running this weekend. Ordered the cylinder from Partzilla on 3/11. Expected ship date was 3/14 so I contacted them today and they still don't even have the cylinder to ship. Was told they wouldn't have it until Friday or Monday.
markit
3/19/2014 8:57am
Good to hear hope it all goes well. On the plus side you'll know your bike even better than before.

Post a reply to: Labor Charge

The Latest

The Latest