Is Pro X any good?

Suzuki7
Edited Date/Time 11/24/2020 10:58am
Rebuilding my top after and I need a need piston, I've been reviewing and comparing Pistons. I'm stuck between Pro x & Wiseco, I seen Pro x kit on Motorsport.com marked down for only $72 bucks. But before being a cheap ass to save a few bucks, I wanted to hear you guys opinions on it. Thanks in advance
|
Fearo
4/26/2016 7:24am Edited Date/Time 4/26/2016 7:25am
Can't vouch for their pistons but Pro-X is an A-list brand with sharp prices. I've run their clutch plates and big end in the past and they matched/exceeded OEM quality and were far cheaper.
Charper732
4/26/2016 7:25am
I've never had an issues out of pro-x....can't say the same for weisco. And I believe pro-x is Yamaha OEM
Suzuki7
4/26/2016 7:30am
Fearo wrote:
Can't vouch for their pistons but Pro-X is an A-list brand with sharp prices. I've run their clutch plates and big end in the past and...
Can't vouch for their pistons but Pro-X is an A-list brand with sharp prices. I've run their clutch plates and big end in the past and they matched/exceeded OEM quality and were far cheaper.
Yeah the price is what caught my attention comparing them to everyone else on the market.
Suzuki7
4/26/2016 7:31am
Charper732 wrote:
I've never had an issues out of pro-x....can't say the same for weisco. And I believe pro-x is Yamaha OEM
Really that's good to know

The Shop

Andrew337
4/26/2016 8:26am Edited Date/Time 4/26/2016 8:28am
Pro-X parts are great. A lot of their parts come from the OEM's suppliers. I have run their pistons, connecting rod kits, main bearing kits, clutch basket, all of it is top notch.
4/26/2016 8:32am
We sell Wiseco, JE, and ProX. All three brands are owned by the same company, PMI. Typically, this is how they compare to each other:

ProX - Cast piston, similar to OEM, economically priced.

Wiseco - Forged Piston, improvement over OEM, medium price.

JE - Forged Piston, premium product with all the tricks, highest price.

Depending on what you are building and how you use it, a ProX piston is an excellent replacement for the OEM piston.
Berni
4/26/2016 11:54am
The pistons I have bought from prox (2t) were rebranded Art pistons, wich is oem for honda as far as I know
Slosh 112
4/26/2016 12:35pm
Yeah Pro-X is a brand on the higher end of the quality scale, along with Vertex, Wossner and OEM
Charper732
4/26/2016 2:48pm Edited Date/Time 4/26/2016 2:51pm
We sell Wiseco, JE, and ProX. All three brands are owned by the same company, PMI. Typically, this is how they compare to each other: ProX...
We sell Wiseco, JE, and ProX. All three brands are owned by the same company, PMI. Typically, this is how they compare to each other:

Depending on what you are building and how you use it, a ProX piston is an excellent replacement for the OEM piston.
but pro-x makes forged pistons as well?...still much cheaper than the opposition.

Also, I heart your cylinder work. How about a vital member discount?? ah ah!
adam8781
4/27/2016 12:11am Edited Date/Time 4/27/2016 12:12am
Pro X is fantastic, I would use anything they make.

pro x- made in same oem japan factories as yamaha parts
4/27/2016 10:41am
We sell Wiseco, JE, and ProX. All three brands are owned by the same company, PMI. Typically, this is how they compare to each other: ProX...

Charper732 wrote:
but pro-x makes forged pistons as well?...still much cheaper than the opposition.

Correct. Some ProX pistons are forged, but most cast.

Thanks for the compliment! Give us call when you need something or shoot me a message. We definitely appreciate the business!
11/15/2020 6:42pm

Charper732 wrote:

Correct. Some ProX pistons are forged, but most cast. Thanks for the compliment! Give us call when you need something or shoot me a message. We...
Correct. Some ProX pistons are forged, but most cast.

Thanks for the compliment! Give us call when you need something or shoot me a message. We definitely appreciate the business!
What is your opinion on wossner pistons
asax771
11/16/2020 6:54am
I have used countless proX parts without issues so I would recommend them, but I recently had a pretty serious deviation on a casted piston for my sons yz65. It had a pore in the skirt with a crack from it. The piston pin hole was also oval, probably due to material weakness around the pore, so the pin had a play. This caused a bad rattle from the engine so I was able to hear it and disassemble. This could have caused a massive failure any time. Inspect your parts before assembly!

Tracktor
11/16/2020 2:06pm
asax771 wrote:
I have used countless proX parts without issues so I would recommend them, but I recently had a pretty serious deviation on a casted piston for...
I have used countless proX parts without issues so I would recommend them, but I recently had a pretty serious deviation on a casted piston for my sons yz65. It had a pore in the skirt with a crack from it. The piston pin hole was also oval, probably due to material weakness around the pore, so the pin had a play. This caused a bad rattle from the engine so I was able to hear it and disassemble. This could have caused a massive failure any time. Inspect your parts before assembly!

INteresting. I think I gotcha beat though! I've used ProX with excellent results for years but not this time-

2006 YZ250 - 5 hours one piston and brand new OEM Yamaha Cylinder. 15 Hours on complete bottome end rebuild using ProX crank/OEM bearins etc. Piston was check for size/ring gap/squish everything. Using good fuel that was properly mixed & jetting was spot on. No idea what failed first but this is piston. Crank & cylinder trashed also. Never seen the like in all my years -

slipdog
11/16/2020 6:35pm
I've seen enough issues with Pro-X in the past year to now stay away from them. They have been mixing a lot of "Made in Taiwan" and "Made in China" into their product line.
asax771
11/17/2020 12:03am
asax771 wrote:
I have used countless proX parts without issues so I would recommend them, but I recently had a pretty serious deviation on a casted piston for...

Tracktor wrote:
INteresting. I think I gotcha beat though! I've used ProX with excellent results for years but not this time- 2006 YZ250 - 5 hours one piston...
INteresting. I think I gotcha beat though! I've used ProX with excellent results for years but not this time-

2006 YZ250 - 5 hours one piston and brand new OEM Yamaha Cylinder. 15 Hours on complete bottome end rebuild using ProX crank/OEM bearins etc. Piston was check for size/ring gap/squish everything. Using good fuel that was properly mixed & jetting was spot on. No idea what failed first but this is piston. Crank & cylinder trashed also. Never seen the like in all my years -

Ouch I feel your pain! It seems plausible that we had the same issue, though I caught it in time.. Do you have the parts left? Do you see any porosity in the crack surface?
chump6784
11/17/2020 12:15am
slipdog wrote:
I've seen enough issues with Pro-X in the past year to now stay away from them. They have been mixing a lot of "Made in Taiwan"...
I've seen enough issues with Pro-X in the past year to now stay away from them. They have been mixing a lot of "Made in Taiwan" and "Made in China" into their product line.
I've been using pro X for years but lately I've been hearing things about "made in China" and it's enough to make me look elsewhere
Tracktor
11/18/2020 12:50pm
asax771 wrote:
Ouch I feel your pain! It seems plausible that we had the same issue, though I caught it in time.. Do you have the parts left...
Ouch I feel your pain! It seems plausible that we had the same issue, though I caught it in time.. Do you have the parts left? Do you see any porosity in the crack surface?
From wrist pin down was shattered mostly. It makes me feel slightly better to see that this probably wasn't an mechanic issue. I'm very careful on assembly plus even if something was wrong no reason for piston to shatter like it did.........
11/18/2020 5:08pm
asax771 wrote:

Tracktor wrote:
INteresting. I think I gotcha beat though! I've used ProX with excellent results for years but not this time- 2006 YZ250 - 5 hours one piston...

Did you contact Prox and ask for their opinion, i'm sure they have a wealth of information.
mwilcox349
Fantasy
82nd
11/20/2020 9:02pm Edited Date/Time 11/20/2020 9:21pm
asax771 wrote:

Tracktor wrote:

I have multiple of those before. Not ProX's fault tho. You had something else going on.

Also have only ran Wisecos after buying multiple cranks and cylinders.
silver753
11/21/2020 12:15pm
I'm guessing the crank is seized also? If it was a brand new cylinder and piston and you checked piston to bore spec (and ring end gap, but that's a measurement for compression) then when the lower rod bearing starts to seize it will cause massive drag, or horizontal pressure on the piston. The bearing doesn't turn, so instead of the piston coming straight down it gets a ton of force pushing into the cylinder wall. But if the crank still turns freely, you most likely had a faulty piston, try to contact Pro-X if this is the case and they will most likely help you out (to some extent) if you send them parts, take pics, ect.
mwssquad827
11/23/2020 5:14pm Edited Date/Time 11/23/2020 5:14pm
Pro x is great and what I have used the last 10-15 years but I went to order a piston for my 2017 husky tc 250 and they are not available!?!?! Wtf?? OEM also not available... this is from my dealer🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
walent215
11/23/2020 5:25pm
Pro x is great and what I have used the last 10-15 years but I went to order a piston for my 2017 husky tc 250...
Pro x is great and what I have used the last 10-15 years but I went to order a piston for my 2017 husky tc 250 and they are not available!?!?! Wtf?? OEM also not available... this is from my dealer🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
My distributor shows Vertex A and B pistons in stock for that bike.
mwssquad827
11/23/2020 6:51pm Edited Date/Time 11/23/2020 6:52pm
Wisesco is available too... pro x and OEM per my dealer are unavailable
Tracktor
11/24/2020 10:58am
silver753 wrote:
I'm guessing the crank is seized also? If it was a brand new cylinder and piston and you checked piston to bore spec (and ring end...
I'm guessing the crank is seized also? If it was a brand new cylinder and piston and you checked piston to bore spec (and ring end gap, but that's a measurement for compression) then when the lower rod bearing starts to seize it will cause massive drag, or horizontal pressure on the piston. The bearing doesn't turn, so instead of the piston coming straight down it gets a ton of force pushing into the cylinder wall. But if the crank still turns freely, you most likely had a faulty piston, try to contact Pro-X if this is the case and they will most likely help you out (to some extent) if you send them parts, take pics, ect.
First for me & I've built more engines than I can count. Everything was checked & within spec prior to installation. Ring gap, piston/bore clearance, squish, rod play etc was all correct prior to installing. I like your rod bearing theory I hadn't really considered that aspect. Big end bearing was toast but with this much destruction it somewhat of a chicken/egg thing. I figured crank was likely the key log & your theory makes sense....I doubt ProX would do anything for me so not bothering. It's getting all new parts & going up for sale after extremely careful post break in inspection..........

Post a reply to: Is Pro X any good?

The Latest