Installing Ti bolts?

MOTO120
Edited Date/Time 7/9/2012 9:26am
Got a quick question about installing Titanium bolts. Should some type of anti-seize/lubricant be used with Ti bolts (if this is the case, then I assume you wouldn't use Loc-Tite with Ti bolts)? Would there be a difference in installing them on say billet triple clamps compared to a casting such as a case? Also, would they be torqued to the same spec at standard bolts that are called out in the manual? Just dumb on the topic and wanted some opinions.
|
newmann
7/5/2012 5:07pm
Use anti seize. On bolts where you may want to use Loctite, use anti seize on the threads and put the Loctite on the flange on the head of the bolt or nut. When it's tightened down it will serve the same purpose but you will be able to break them loose without having to apply heat.

Blue Loctite lets loose around 165 degrees, red about 350.
dogger315
7/8/2012 11:08am
MOTO120 wrote:
Got a quick question about installing Titanium bolts. Should some type of anti-seize/lubricant be used with Ti bolts (if this is the case, then I assume...
Got a quick question about installing Titanium bolts. Should some type of anti-seize/lubricant be used with Ti bolts (if this is the case, then I assume you wouldn't use Loc-Tite with Ti bolts)? Would there be a difference in installing them on say billet triple clamps compared to a casting such as a case? Also, would they be torqued to the same spec at standard bolts that are called out in the manual? Just dumb on the topic and wanted some opinions.
I always use Ti prep when installing Ti bolts. The prep contains Copper and prevents disimilar metal
galvanization (bolt's stuck).

Like newmann said, anti-seize will work too. Other than the prep, treat Ti just like a
regular steel fastner in all other respects.

dogger
MOTO120
7/9/2012 9:26am
Awesome, thanks for the info guys........much appreciated!

Post a reply to: Installing Ti bolts?

The Latest