How reliable are the new 2 strokes?

liamjumper
7/19/2016 10:59pm
The last few 2 strokes I've had, all been Suzuki's, just havnt been reliable for me. Problem after problem, but I do love the bikes but I'm just scared to keep testing my luck with used ones. Brand new 2011 rmz450 lasted me 135 hours on the original top end before I sold it. I'm not hard on bikes, but I'm certainly not easy on them. Also I'm very good with maintenance, I spend lots of time in the garage keeping the bikes nice just for something to do. I've given up on buying used two strokes, even after I rebuild them there's still other issues I ways run into with them, so Ive decided to just go with a brand new bike. For sure will be a husky or ktm. Been really thinking about the fc350 but I love my two strokes so what I really want to know is how reliable are the new 250s? Would it be anything like a new 350 or 450 and last me a long time without dumping money into it or will I still need to rebuild the damn things every 10-20 hours.
|
HenryA
7/19/2016 11:49pm
Jet it correctly and give it regular maintenance and it will never give up on you. I definitely hear what you're saying with the rebuilds. Been there done that.
EEE299
7/20/2016 4:32am Edited Date/Time 7/20/2016 4:36am
New 2 strokes are more reliable than old ones (especially Suzukis from my exp.) If you don't know how to shift you'll still being doing top ends fairly often but that really depends on the rider. Obviously if you're on a 125 than you don't have an option but to ring it out.

Had about 122 hours on my 2011 yz250 when I rebuilt it, but I race mainly offroad. I would expect about half that if I raced only moto.
7/20/2016 6:37am
HenryA wrote:
Jet it correctly and give it regular maintenance and it will never give up on you. I definitely hear what you're saying with the rebuilds. Been...
Jet it correctly and give it regular maintenance and it will never give up on you. I definitely hear what you're saying with the rebuilds. Been there done that.
X2
HackMan162
7/20/2016 6:40am
If you ride a new 250 how it is supposed to be ridden (e.g. On the gas and ine the powerband), expect to do a top end every 50 hours.

The Shop

DerickYZ
7/20/2016 7:18am
I had a 2015 YZ250 and it was VERY reliable for me, I've had nothing but luck with Yamaha's. My Honda CR125 has blown up on me twice in 10 hours total of riding, just depends on how you're riding them. I get twice the time on the 250 2 stroke than I do a 125...just gotta ride them hard. Do rings every 5-10 hours, keep up on oil and air filters, jet it, run good mix, and you're set!
mxtech1
7/20/2016 10:11am Edited Date/Time 7/20/2016 10:12am
You claim to be good about maintenance...but the fact that you put 135 hours on your RMZ without cracking into the motor is crazy.

With two strokes, you can't get away with that kind of neglect which is the reason why you've probably had reliability issues in the past.

Good maintenance is more than just keeping the bike clean. If you aren't willing to do motor work on a preventative schedule, this means servicing it before it blows up or something breaks, then stick to a four stroke.

All new bikes these days are good and reliable. How reliable you might ask? Only as reliable as your maintenance schedule and mechanical abilities.

I'm not trying to be harsh. It's reality. The bike will only run as well as the owner takes care of it.
JWACK
7/20/2016 10:43am Edited Date/Time 7/20/2016 10:49am
What problems did you have with your rm's? Did you buy them used?
JMX82
7/20/2016 11:30am
My 2013 KTM 150SX has 110 hours of riding MX and I still haven't had to split the cases. I have replaced piston, wrist pin needle bearing and clutch plates two times. Nothing else is done to the motor and it just keeps going. The most reliable bike I ever have had.

I'm planning to do complete engine rebuild pretty soon and replace all the engine bearings and crankshaft just to be safe.
7/20/2016 3:56pm
Totally off topic Liam jumper. But if you ever want to sell that pro circuit rm 125 linkage arm I'll buy it off of you lol
liamjumper
7/20/2016 7:04pm
mxtech1 wrote:
You claim to be good about maintenance...but the fact that you put 135 hours on your RMZ without cracking into the motor is crazy. With two...
You claim to be good about maintenance...but the fact that you put 135 hours on your RMZ without cracking into the motor is crazy.

With two strokes, you can't get away with that kind of neglect which is the reason why you've probably had reliability issues in the past.

Good maintenance is more than just keeping the bike clean. If you aren't willing to do motor work on a preventative schedule, this means servicing it before it blows up or something breaks, then stick to a four stroke.

All new bikes these days are good and reliable. How reliable you might ask? Only as reliable as your maintenance schedule and mechanical abilities.

I'm not trying to be harsh. It's reality. The bike will only run as well as the owner takes care of it.
When did I say I didn't open it up? I cracked I pulled the head off twice and never found a reason to spend money on a rebuild kit, just throw some new seals on and put it back together. I actually do maintenance, regreasing ect. not just soak my bikes down with a pressure washer lol
liamjumper
7/20/2016 7:35pm
JWACK wrote:
Bought them both used. My 250 hasnt actually been all that bad but it's been having some tranny problems and im just getting tired of it. When i bought it every bolt on the bike was stripped, i could count on one finger how many bolts weren't stripped so obviously the previous owner was not good with the bike. But hey, nothings tighter than stripped.
JWACK
7/20/2016 9:25pm
JWACK wrote:
liamjumper wrote:
Bought them both used. My 250 hasnt actually been all that bad but it's been having some tranny problems and im just getting tired of it...
Bought them both used. My 250 hasnt actually been all that bad but it's been having some tranny problems and im just getting tired of it. When i bought it every bolt on the bike was stripped, i could count on one finger how many bolts weren't stripped so obviously the previous owner was not good with the bike. But hey, nothings tighter than stripped.
I see. I will say buying a used Suzuki is a gamble. They require a bit more love than a Honda to stay fresh and most folks don't give extra love. I don't think the new 2 strokes are any more reliable than a new 2000 was. Same same only different.

Post a reply to: How reliable are the new 2 strokes?

The Latest