High quality steel braided brake lines?

jeffro503
Edited Date/Time 6/24/2021 11:08am
Hey guys I'm fitting my RM's with some over sized 280mm front discs and wanted to get a couple really good brake lines. As far as quality and overall fit....which ones do you suggest?
|
K-dubbb
4/29/2016 11:35am
I got Streamlines that I like, but if you're ordering a rear, be sure to consider the year for your bike.

After 2004, the rear master is positioned differently, throwing the mounting point in a different position. Makes for a shitty fit on the 01-03.
Bruce372
4/29/2016 2:27pm
I like venhill, just because the banjos are adjustable so the lines can be clocked properly
mxb2
4/29/2016 2:31pm
Galfer.

The Shop

jhansen510
Fantasy
3595th
4/29/2016 7:56pm
Aren't the banjos adjustable and all steel braided lines?
Slosh 112
4/30/2016 3:06am
jhansen510 wrote:
Yes they are, just get two plastic pens through the holes and pull the line taught and twist the banjos with the pens to adjust the angle.

I'm using Core Moto lines on my rm, very nice quality and can get coloured banjo fittings, I've used Venhil and Goodridge lines before and they are same quality.
jeffro503
4/30/2016 12:22pm
Thanks guys for all the input. Decided to order a couple front brake lines from Scott at Motostuff. Probably have them in a little over a week. He was just putting in an order and I got mine in ,just in time.
mxb2
4/30/2016 12:46pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Thanks guys for all the input. Decided to order a couple front brake lines from Scott at Motostuff. Probably have them in a little over a...
Thanks guys for all the input. Decided to order a couple front brake lines from Scott at Motostuff. Probably have them in a little over a week. He was just putting in an order and I got mine in ,just in time.
You are welcome lol.
Bruce372
4/30/2016 1:08pm
jhansen510 wrote:
They are supposed to be, but the venhills you adjust on the bike with a wrench
Slosh 112
4/30/2016 3:47pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Thanks guys for all the input. Decided to order a couple front brake lines from Scott at Motostuff. Probably have them in a little over a...
You will get Core Moto lines, they fit up really nice,I don't think they listed RM's as fitment on the site so I ordered lines for an 06 RMz250.

Scott has great service, helped me out heaps when I was looking for info to fit up one of their 280mm blade kits to my RM125.
Slosh 112
4/30/2016 3:49pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Hey guys I'm fitting my RM's with some over sized 280mm front discs and wanted to get a couple really good brake lines. As far as...
Hey guys I'm fitting my RM's with some over sized 280mm front discs and wanted to get a couple really good brake lines. As far as quality and overall fit....which ones do you suggest?
what 280mm kit did you end up getting? Motostuff or EBC?
jeffro503
4/30/2016 8:22pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Hey guys I'm fitting my RM's with some over sized 280mm front discs and wanted to get a couple really good brake lines. As far as...
Slosh 112 wrote:
what 280mm kit did you end up getting? Motostuff or EBC?
Well I'm getting the rotors and caliper adapter strait from IRP. And getting the brake lines through Motostuff. Known the owner of IRP for a very long time. ( Grew up with him ) Great dude and it's why Motostuff does business with him.
Slosh 112
5/1/2016 4:12pm
Are you going to get One of their Saw tooth rotor kits?
jeffro503
5/1/2016 4:49pm
Slosh 112 wrote:
Are you going to get One of their Saw tooth rotor kits?
Yep exactly. Ian and Scott work together ( separate business all together ) but between them both they produce some high quality stuff.

Ian at IRP is capable of some extremely cool stuff. Has " secret stuff " locked up and out of the publics eye for certain factory parts he makes for a certain manufacture too.

He also built his own AF 14'CRF450. / 500cc 2 stroke....which is done so perfectly it looks like it came from the factory that way. 2 full race seasons on it and it's still structurally perfect.
Slosh 112
5/1/2016 4:55pm Edited Date/Time 5/1/2016 4:55pm
Very nice, they look quite nice, if I'd have known about the IRP rotor I might have gone that way. I was wrapped up in figuring out how get a 280mm kit for my RM in the first place. Does IRP make an RM specific kit or did you piece it together like I did?
stevo450
5/2/2016 5:46am
Reading this thread shows just how much cool info there is on these forums linking the world pool of bike knowledge together... Very interesting!
barkhard696
5/2/2016 11:47am Edited Date/Time 5/2/2016 11:49am
I've done several 280 kits for my RM 2ts. I usually use Scott's front lines, they are well made and easy to adapt to several OEMs.

The brake hanger is the same, RM-KX-CR (CR up to '04). YZ hanger unique.

RM/YZ have same bolt pattern. both the CR and KX have different bolt patterns. All the bikes have different designs for the fork guards.

I have a complete '10 CRF front brake on my '06 RM250. Swapped out the CRF hanger for the RM and it bolted right up.

My '04 SoBe replica uses an EBC YZ 280mm rotor and the hanger from an '02 CR kit by a manufacturer now out of business.

As long as you stick to the commonality described above and the appropriate hanger for the rotor diameter, the bike won't care.

I also have Scott's 280mm HRC copy front rotor on my 93, 95 and 06 CR250s. I used his hangers on those (both steelies had been converted to '07 47mm Showas) but IMHO his hangers while beautiful, are pricey. You're bucks ahead getting his rotor and buying a used hanger from eBay. I do think his brakes lines are excellent and worth the price.
jeffro503
5/2/2016 11:55am Edited Date/Time 5/2/2016 11:56am
Slosh 112 wrote:
Very nice, they look quite nice, if I'd have known about the IRP rotor I might have gone that way. I was wrapped up in figuring...
Very nice, they look quite nice, if I'd have known about the IRP rotor I might have gone that way. I was wrapped up in figuring out how get a 280mm kit for my RM in the first place. Does IRP make an RM specific kit or did you piece it together like I did?
Actually I believe I got the idea from one of your post. Once I saw how the Yamaha front disc bolted and the older CR caliper mount , I called Ian and asked him about it. Last week I met up with Ian at PIR and he brought a YZ front disc with him and I brought one of my front wheels...looks to of lined up perfectly. After I get my bike back together , I'm running it over to his place and we'll use those parts and get it bolted up. He makes front discs for the CR's , CRF , and YZ's and had no idea the Suzuki was the same as the YZF.

On the brake lines I did something a little special when I ordered from Scott. Since I'm keeping with a slight red scheme / Makita on my 06' , I ordered a translucent steel line with red banjo fittings. On the 05' , I have a black/gold scheme I'm working on and ordered up another translucent line with gold fittings. Just a little extra spice for my two builds.
Slosh 112
5/2/2016 12:38pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Actually I believe I got the idea from one of your post. Once I saw how the Yamaha front disc bolted and the older CR caliper...
Actually I believe I got the idea from one of your post. Once I saw how the Yamaha front disc bolted and the older CR caliper mount , I called Ian and asked him about it. Last week I met up with Ian at PIR and he brought a YZ front disc with him and I brought one of my front wheels...looks to of lined up perfectly. After I get my bike back together , I'm running it over to his place and we'll use those parts and get it bolted up. He makes front discs for the CR's , CRF , and YZ's and had no idea the Suzuki was the same as the YZF.

On the brake lines I did something a little special when I ordered from Scott. Since I'm keeping with a slight red scheme / Makita on my 06' , I ordered a translucent steel line with red banjo fittings. On the 05' , I have a black/gold scheme I'm working on and ordered up another translucent line with gold fittings. Just a little extra spice for my two builds.
Only stumbled across it because I had a few discs leftover from other builds and just tried a few of them on the RM hub, and I asked around on here and found that the 96 -04 CR bracket is the same as the RM bracket. When I placed my order for a 2013 YZF disc and a 96 Honda bracket I got a text from scot asking if I was sure thats what I wanted as it was an unusual combo. He also didn't know that the RM and YZF have same PCD for the front disc, said that he would update his product listings to offer a kit for the RM's on his website but I haven't seen it updated yet. IRP could do the same, all without making or developing new parts.
jeffro503
5/2/2016 12:57pm Edited Date/Time 5/2/2016 12:58pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Actually I believe I got the idea from one of your post. Once I saw how the Yamaha front disc bolted and the older CR caliper...

Slosh 112 wrote:
Only stumbled across it because I had a few discs leftover from other builds and just tried a few of them on the RM hub, and...
Only stumbled across it because I had a few discs leftover from other builds and just tried a few of them on the RM hub, and I asked around on here and found that the 96 -04 CR bracket is the same as the RM bracket. When I placed my order for a 2013 YZF disc and a 96 Honda bracket I got a text from scot asking if I was sure thats what I wanted as it was an unusual combo. He also didn't know that the RM and YZF have same PCD for the front disc, said that he would update his product listings to offer a kit for the RM's on his website but I haven't seen it updated yet. IRP could do the same, all without making or developing new parts.
Haha , that is the exact same conversation I had with Ian. I told him that he made oversized brake kits for our RM's , and he didn't even know it. Laughing

BTW....thanks Slosh for even putting that info up in the first place. I can't imagine what a 280mm front brake kit is going to feel like on my RM.....probably incredible!
jeffro503
5/2/2016 3:01pm Edited Date/Time 5/2/2016 3:02pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/05/02/133749/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

Damn it man! That is one good lookin' scooter right there! You have applied clamps on her? I need to get a set of over sized 1-1/8" clamps for my 05'. Looks like Applied and Ride eng are the only two that make a full set of clamps with top and bottom. I'd like to get the X-trigs but I haven't seen anyone with them on their RM and they don't have them on their site. Would be nice though.
barkhard696
5/2/2016 9:36pm
Thanks. The clamps are PC A Kit. STAY AWAY from the Ride Eng clamps. The stem is the same 2t to 4t but clamps themselves are for the aluminum frame -- so the stops are not correct for a steelie. I had a whole mess going through that with Adrian. Don't get me wrong, he's an ace machinist with a commendably solid grasp of manufacturing but IMO his clamps are just not right for the steelie RM. Applied is the way to go and they can bore for A Kit if you need. The machining is not as beautiful as PC or Adrian, but they will have a set with the right offset for your year and I can personally recommend them from other builds.
barkhard696
5/2/2016 9:37pm
Here's my 06. I know the picture quality stinks but you can get an idea of how low hour it is. The '10 CRF master bolted right up with the hanger swap.

ConnorD11
6/23/2021 10:20pm
Just wanted to share an awesome experience I had with Core Moto Brake lines. I ordered a custom length RMZ 450 front brake line (+1inches) and I received it in only 3 days. They also included a rear line for FREE. The quality is top notch and I love supporting companies that work hard and have good communication. If you are on the fence about getting some high quality lines, don't hesitate getting them from Core!
Rider 5280
6/24/2021 10:46am Edited Date/Time 6/24/2021 11:07am
I've only run Core Moto and Galfer (have like 10+ of Core Motos, 3 Galfers) and both are nice, but Core Moto definitely gets the nod for quality.

But again, have had great success with both.

Post a reply to: High quality steel braided brake lines?

The Latest