Hauler vehicle question

Related:
Create New Tag

5/9/2011 10:00 AM

I am wanting to scale back my vehicles. I have been using a Dodge extended cargo van for practice days (14mpg) and towing a 12ft enclosed trailer on race days (10mpg). It is time to replace my daily work/comuter vehicle. Besides things like the Sprinter vans, is there anything (mini van sized) that is capable of hauling a bike? I would like to get rid of my van, trailer, and cars. Mileage is crucial since it will be my daily driver also. Thanks for your help.

|

5/9/2011 10:29 AM

Have you thought about a diesel Ford van? The old 7.3L (I think the last year was 2003) are pretty good on fuel. I would get between 21-23mpg highway whether the van was loaded or not. I still have my 98 E350 but the body is starting to go on it.
You can also tow anything with them if you have to.
I'm not sure if you would want it as a daily driver though.. they are a bit noisey however I have seen guys re-line the firewall and doghouse with the same sound deadening material as they use in the RV models and this makes a huge difference. There seem to be quite a few of them out there used for good prices.

|

5/9/2011 12:53 PM

the powerstroke can be tuned to get decent mileage, with the right rear end gears good mileage will come. you may look into a gearvendor for what ever you buy. huge increase in mileage.

|

5/9/2011 5:41 PM

Ford Transit. My buddy has one and loves it, It has something like 110 cubic feet of storage in the back without the bench seat.
[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

5/10/2011 4:46 AM

You might look at the Nissan Commerical Van, it comes with a standard roof and the extended roof (like a Sprinter).

|

5/10/2011 5:24 AM

You can also get two full sized bikes and a fair amount of gear into a Chevy Astro van with the benchseat removed. I have had two over the years. Both had almost 200,000 miles with no issues before I got rid of them.

|

5/11/2011 12:48 PM

JOHN CHOATE wrote:

You can also get two full sized bikes and a fair amount of gear into a Chevy Astro van with the benchseat removed. I have had ...more

You can load and haul a 450 in a chevy astro mini van? With out dropping the bars? That would be perfect for my needs. The Ford Transit would be great but very few low mileage available around my location. Thanks for the help guys.

|

5/11/2011 2:47 PM

I have seen 3 full sized bikes in a Chevy Astro Van but you only have the front seats.

I know a rider in MD that somehow stuffed 2 bikes, pressure washer and gear into a Chrysler mini van. He compressed the forks with a tie down from the handlebar to the front axle for loading threw the back door.

|

5/11/2011 6:06 PM

JOHN CHOATE wrote:

You can also get two full sized bikes and a fair amount of gear into a Chevy Astro van with the benchseat removed. I have had ...more

Mstock wrote:

You can load and haul a 450 in a chevy astro mini van? With out dropping the bars? That would be perfect for my needs. The ...more

Certainly. I used a ratchet tie down to compress the forks some and then used regular tie downs to secure the bikes inside the van. I had plenty of room left for gear bags and such. Sometimes, I really miss my Astro van. Good gas mileage too.

|

5/12/2011 5:57 PM

mx295 wrote:

Ford Transit. My buddy has one and loves it, It has something like 110 cubic feet of storage in the back without the bench ...more

I saw one of these the other day, was thinking this may work.

|

"Cheezus"