Front Brake Problem YZ250

rt987
Edited Date/Time 7/7/2014 5:42pm
Crashed this morning going around a corner and slammed the right handle bar into the ground. Nothing was bent from what I could see, but now the front brake is super touchy. The engagement is right at the end of the travel of the lever, before it was a little softer which I really liked.

What happened here? Its a 2013 YZ250 with like 5 hours on it, can't figure out why its so sensitive all of a sudden. What should I look for, and how can it return it to normal?
|
partialperson
7/6/2014 1:32pm
It doesn't work until it gets close to the bar? You may have blown a seal in the master cylinder, it is common in tip overs. if it is air you may zipty the lever to the bar for a few days and the air will rise out of the system back into the master cylinder.
rt987
7/6/2014 5:51pm
No it's the opposite of that, it is very far from the lever. Not a major hinderance but I wondered what caused it and how I can prevent it, was a little tough to get used to right away.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
7/6/2014 7:56pm
This happens many times when you tip the bike over and the master cylinder goes inverted. It's like the fluid gets a vacuum lock on it or something. Try this. 99% of the time clears it.

Put the bike on a stand. Remove the master cylinder reservoir cap. Use the heel of your hand or a wooden hammer handle to push on the caliper and collapse the pistons into the caliper (be careful not to turn the bars or overflow the fluid. Have a paper towel handy). Tap the brake line up and down to dislodge any bubbles. Pump the lever slowly to get the pressure back. Put the cap back on.
rt987
7/7/2014 5:03pm
Hey FGR, thanks for that. Headed out to the shop but few questions before I get there!

If I do this and tip over again, will I have to do it every single time? What if I left it? Would my brake lock up, or just stay the same?

Thanks for the help!

Post a reply to: Front Brake Problem YZ250

The Latest