Fork Seals

Barnett117
Fantasy
397th
Edited Date/Time 3/26/2014 12:39pm
I had my forks revalved a little softer for racing woods. I raced Arenacross and cased a few jumps and blew them out, understandable. I had them replaced and within 1 ride they were blown again. The front wheel doesn't seem to be sticking into any corner. Every bump or tree root I hit bounces me harshly and washes out the front wheel. The forks were full of air after 2 laps into the race.

What could be causing this? Poor adjustment? Wrong revalve? I called the guy who did it and he thinks the bushing are worn out. Thoughts? ANY help would be great. Thanks!
|
3/24/2014 7:56pm
It could be the bushings. But whoever replaced your fork seals should have checked the bushings for wear, so if they are worn out then that is a hack shop. But it could be other things. Would also check lower tube for nicks, pull down dust seal and look for dirt and debris, etc. I've bottomed out hella hard before and not blown my seals, not really sure if that even really happens, considering the fork lug would be hitting the dust wiper and not the seal.
Kmid514
3/25/2014 6:13am Edited Date/Time 3/25/2014 6:15am
When this happen'd to me it was because I put the front tire on in a hurry and didn't get the axel centered. Loosend the bolts and made sure the forks were not pinched, the seals stopped leaking and the action was smooth again.
B1LL31
3/26/2014 9:48am
Ok, I'm not a suspension guy but this is what I was just going through also. Judging by your avatar, it looks like you have a KXF. My left fork leg on my 08 kx450f kept leaking (I would clean it with risk racing fork seal cleaner and it would work for a couple rides) and would have a lot of air in it compared to my right fork leg (the seal in it would not leak). So decided to tear down the KYB forks and install new fork seals. My left free piston on the compression valving was completely shattered. The right free piston was fine. Again, I don't know if this is the problem but make sure they check that also. Apparently, a very common problem on KYB.
Radical
Fantasy
2384th
3/26/2014 12:39pm
Kmid514 wrote:
When this happen'd to me it was because I put the front tire on in a hurry and didn't get the axel centered. Loosend the bolts...
When this happen'd to me it was because I put the front tire on in a hurry and didn't get the axel centered. Loosend the bolts and made sure the forks were not pinched, the seals stopped leaking and the action was smooth again.
My suspension guy said this happens all the time. Not so much the seals leaking but the suspension just not working right. That's because the forks are actually binding when compressed.
Loosen the bolts holding the front wheel on, compress the forks a few times to align everything, then tighten.
Otherwise, I do know that there's a plastic piston inside the fork that breaks. Everyone recommends the aluminum replacements. Good luck.

Post a reply to: Fork Seals

The Latest