Fork Materials

WileCyot
6/22/2015 5:27am Edited Date/Time 6/22/2015 9:40am
Does anyone know what material the lower fork tubes are made from? Grade as well.

Also, what grade of aluminum are the upper fork tubes as well as shock body?
|
Dtat720
6/22/2015 5:35am
If i were to guess, the lowers are most likely 4340 chromoly and the uppers are 7075 or 7068. Same for shock. But that would be my best guess, not fact. I machine a lot of all 3 of those materials for caterpillar and john deere.
6/22/2015 8:27am
Dtat720 wrote:
If i were to guess, the lowers are most likely 4340 chromoly and the uppers are 7075 or 7068. Same for shock. But that would be...
If i were to guess, the lowers are most likely 4340 chromoly and the uppers are 7075 or 7068. Same for shock. But that would be my best guess, not fact. I machine a lot of all 3 of those materials for caterpillar and john deere.
Dtat720, mobile hydraulic controls i see, shot in the dark... Bosch Rexroth?

WileCyot, i agree with him also, but if you are looking for a specific make and model for material, hop on Racetech.com side and put in your make on model, should give you a listing that may have it in there.
Dtat720
6/22/2015 9:40am
Dtat720 wrote:
If i were to guess, the lowers are most likely 4340 chromoly and the uppers are 7075 or 7068. Same for shock. But that would be...
Dtat720, mobile hydraulic controls i see, shot in the dark... Bosch Rexroth? WileCyot, i agree with him also, but if you are looking for a specific...
Dtat720, mobile hydraulic controls i see, shot in the dark... Bosch Rexroth?

WileCyot, i agree with him also, but if you are looking for a specific make and model for material, hop on Racetech.com side and put in your make on model, should give you a listing that may have it in there.
We machine components for Hol-Mac fluid dynamics who builds the assemblies for them. We get the Cat and JD prints in, machine what they call for and ship to HM for assembly. Most of them are the hydraulic lift arms for dozers and track hoes. We machine pistons, fittings, rod ends, caps, all kinds of things. You could rebuild the hydraulics all the way to the manifolds at our shop lol
DJFMXpro
9/5/2022 7:30pm
i been trying to find out also what material the upper showa 47mm and KAYABA 48mm uppers are also
still no answer ?

we plan to machine some upper forks tubes from round stock aluminum but need to know what material to use ?

also anyone know if the upper tubes are heat treated or not before or after machining ?

if theres anyone with reliable info on this jump in Wink

anyone from showa or kayaba WhistlingCool

or someone from Honda or Kawasaki , YAMAHA , SUZUKI ????

or someone that works on suspensions that might know this info Cool

any help at all !!!!!!!! thanks

The Shop

FWYT
9/5/2022 8:33pm
Paging Luxon... . Billy come in.....
Luxon MX
9/6/2022 12:10pm
Fork uppers are generally some sort of 7000 series aluminum, in either T6XXX or T7XXX tempers. No heat treatment after machining.

Stiffness is essentially the same across the board for all 7000 series alloys. Strength varies slightly between alloys and tempers, but not dramatically. Other properties vary as well, but nothing I would be too concerned about with a fork tube.

Whatever you choose will largely be determined by what's available in the size starting stock you need to use. You'll probably have a really hard time finding tube extrusions to start from, so you'll probably have to start with solid round stock. Prepare to spend some significant money for a one-off set!

Post a reply to: Fork Materials

The Latest

The Latest