Flushing a motor

Edited Date/Time 2/1/2012 2:05pm
I had to re thread the left side drain bolt on my 2009 YZ450, I am worried about the shavings that fell inside. on a old boat motor i was told to use Diesel fuel to flush old waterup oil out. Would you open up both the rotor and clutch covers and drop 1 qt of fuel thru to allow some shavings to go thru? I know that the trans will eat up most if it and i plan on putting about 30 mins of ride time in then drainning the oil and repeating this twice just to be sure. thoughts?
|
TerryK
1/25/2012 9:44pm
Use Varsol. Rotor cover? You mean the mag cover? The ignition is in there and it's not in an oil bath. It's dry. You can simply pour Varsol through the engine through the oil filler hole while having the drain plug out. make sure the bike is slightly leaning towards the drain plug. Let the bike sit afterwards to let all the Varsol drain or evaporate. Put new oil in it, ride it for a few minutes and change the oil again.
motofab36
1/26/2012 6:14am
Actually Terry it is wet, in fact thats where the oil fill hole is. If you decide to pull the covers I would get new gaskets for both covers.
1/26/2012 7:17am
Thanks Guys. Seems that it is a Paint thinner and oddly enough Walmart carrys it. No damage to seals and gaskets that you know of? Just little freaked out pooring anything other than oil in the filler Smile
1/27/2012 7:10am
Worked well, also ran 3 qts of oil thru motor with 5 min runs inbetween after 2 pass has zero shavings in oil filter. Not the best way of doing it but it got the job done. recommend Grease in the hole next time and a shop vac to draw shavings out as i drilled. Funny how you think of shit after the fact.

The Shop

TerryK
1/28/2012 7:20am
motofab36 wrote:
Actually Terry it is wet, in fact thats where the oil fill hole is. If you decide to pull the covers I would get new gaskets...
Actually Terry it is wet, in fact thats where the oil fill hole is. If you decide to pull the covers I would get new gaskets for both covers.
Lol, oh yeah. Damned 4 strokes!! Tongue
lumpy790
2/1/2012 2:05pm
FYI - if the have an air compressor and a blow gun you can extremely lightly blow air in the crank case breather hose while tapping the threads......it will blow the shavings out past the tap.

Post a reply to: Flushing a motor

The Latest