CR 125 build

Edited Date/Time 4/7/2020 3:17pm
Tought ill start a build thread here instead.

Picked up a 2001 cr 125 for cheap to work on.

Plan is to make it looking mint, and a complete teardown.

Engine recipe:
Srs head (already got)
38mm Pwk air striker carb
Boysen rad valve
07 air boot (ordered)
Fmf factory fatty or scalvini pipe
Shorty silencer
Abusive clutch

Might send cylinder and cases to gorr to port/polish/match and adjust powervalve etc also, we shall see..

Chassi recipe:
Gold excel rims
47mm showa front fork, also looking around for a used A-kit.
New style front fender and stadiumplate
996 twinwalls
Hpsd damper

And the usual, anodising stuff,new bearings etc etc.

Pictures from the seller, gonna try to start the teardown tomorrow, still on crutches so it will take some time.

Have some ideas..
Is it any idea to use a regular tumbling machine and tumble the gearbox for smoother shifting?

Have seen some people move the electronics, where do they move it?

Other than that, if you have some nice mods and tips, hit me up!

First up will be to tear down and blast frame and Swingarm, and then use scotchbrite to give it factory look. Then make it a roller, and enginebuild last.

|
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
1/25/2016 12:48pm
You got your work cut out for you with that corrosion. Looks like it was recovered from the bottom of a Viking-era peat bog! Good luck !
1/25/2016 2:24pm
Thanks!

Yeah, he drown the bike, let it sit for too long, didn't change oil and went out ride again, results were broken crank-bearings.

A little elbow grease and blasting will do the trick Whistling
1/27/2016 8:11am Edited Date/Time 1/27/2016 8:19am
Bought a pair of 47mm showa dual cartridge forks off a 2004 crf 250, leaky seals but they are being rebuilt anyway Smile have not decided if I'm going to rebuild them myself with racetech parts (for the learning experience), or if I'm sending them off to my suspension guy.

Will use these if I don't find a good priced kit suspension.
Hopefully my gf dont go bananas tonight, since I live in her apartment while I'm on crutches.. have not told her about these Whistling

billyslad
1/27/2016 9:34am
Nova racing " superfinish " all their gears to help with a smoother gearbox I have been to their set up and it is quite something
The finishers are massive tumblers that use ceramic beads really helpful people
Vapour blast your cases for a great finish

www.novaracing.co.uk

The Shop

1/27/2016 9:47am
Thanks for the tip! Shot them an email If they could do international shipping since I'm living in Sweden. Smile
1/28/2016 8:41am
Only bad news today GrinningDizzy

Tried on the new front fork.it fits in the clamps and have the same length.

But the caliper doesn't fit, and the wheel axle and spacers are wrong. Axle got the same dimensions, just 10mm too long. Spacer are 7mm too thick.

I'll just order a new axle for a 2004 crf, and I'll order a spacer for that bike also, if that doesn't fit I will machine down the one I have to correct dimensions.

Sorry about the mess, hard to clean when you are 1 legged Sideways

Aaaand, I will need a new right case (or both if I can't change 1 of them, are they "milled" together so they just fit each other?

Cylinder and gearbox looks good tough Laughing
Srs head also

1/28/2016 8:43am
Bought the front caliper from the same bike just now, so that will be an easy fix Smile
Hopefully it will be an upgrade also Tongue
1/29/2016 9:43am Edited Date/Time 1/29/2016 9:45am
Got the bike completely torn down, just the foot-peg brackets left, I stripped the bolts do ill have to use some heat on them..

Funny tough that these 2 bolts were the only ones that was stuck! Everything else loosend up just fine Smile

Got my new Gpi rads also, for the price I'm willing to try them, they look good for sure.

Also tried to mount up an crf 450 2014 rear master cylinder with integrated reservoir, but it rubs against the frame, might work if you grind of a small amount of material from the cylinder, will look into this more when I bolt it together, the c-c measurement is correct anyway.

Parts waiting for blasting, then some hours with scotchbrite! Yes, that's my garage-dog (came with the gf Smile ) and yes, I have nice flooring in the workshop :D

2/4/2016 5:24am
Got the parts blasted yesterday.

But the frame and swingarm got some small imperfections, so I'm currently thinking about powdercoat it black.

Also, when I rebuild the gearbox, I have been thinking about removing the 1st gear, since it won't be used..

Toughs?
Jmcd1988
2/4/2016 5:55am
Go with the black frame. AF Hondas look so good with black frames.
2/4/2016 6:07am
07 airbox mod parts Smile

Gonna take a closer look at the airbox to see if it's good, otherwise I will order a new airbox also, they were pretty cheap here.

New plates, screws, gasket, clamps etc.

2/7/2016 10:48am Edited Date/Time 2/7/2016 10:49am
Got some work done today, not much.. but anyway.

Does anyone now if the -02 and up airbox fits the -01 frame? Mine is not in the best shape and I have only found the -02 and up to buy..

Blasted frame, gonna get some powdercoat soon, just need to weld the subframe and remove the footpeg-mounts.

Airbox, anyone have a good idea to get it shiny? Or if the 02-07 fits.. might worth a shot to buy and try.

Can't really understand this tough, my airboot was mounted on the inside of the box, is this correct? What parts should go where? Airboot against inside of the box and the gasket between boot and the metal piece you mount the airfilter to?

Also, are racetech titanium and mettec the same quality? Might go the titanium route with this build.. always dreamt of building a balls out bikeSmile

Also, when I'm dealing with aluminum welding, should I reconsider and move the ignition coil to the rear?
2/8/2016 11:44am
Got the gearbox in pieces, alot of the gears need to be new, the dogs are worn out...

Started to Polish the cases, this one is approx 45min in to it.. more to come.

Took the head of also, found something in the cylinder, but you can't feel it with the nail. Will leave it to some enginebuilder including the porting work.

Slosh 112
2/9/2016 3:34am
Looking good, I rebuilt an 02 CR125 for a friend not long ago. We put 07 CR250 forks and front brakes on it, it was like having factory suspension compared to the original KYB's

As for the rear master cylinder I would carefully notch the farm a small amount just enough to clear the seal housing on the master cylinder as the frame has more meat than the MC. You wouldn't need to take out much at all, it wont affect the structure of the frame.
2/9/2016 5:04am
Slosh 112 wrote:
Looking good, I rebuilt an 02 CR125 for a friend not long ago. We put 07 CR250 forks and front brakes on it, it was like...
Looking good, I rebuilt an 02 CR125 for a friend not long ago. We put 07 CR250 forks and front brakes on it, it was like having factory suspension compared to the original KYB's

As for the rear master cylinder I would carefully notch the farm a small amount just enough to clear the seal housing on the master cylinder as the frame has more meat than the MC. You wouldn't need to take out much at all, it wont affect the structure of the frame.
Yeah, hopefully the suspension feels better.

I may use my 2015 crf 250 Dlc coated/rg3 SFF fork also, depending on if I buy an öhlins/a kit/cone valve for that bike or not. Smile
2/14/2016 2:07pm
Getting the frame to the powdercoater some day this week Smile

Removed the old rims as the hubs are getting painted gloss black, front rim CRACKED when we cut off the spokes, looked like an egg, serious amount of tension in that one..Shocked

Getting gold excels I think.
Frame/swingarm will be half-matte black.

Borrowed a friends 2014 crf 450 triple clamp, and the steering stem fits between them, so I might try to get an newer style triple clamp and just use my stem, so I get the steering damper and new style plate mounts automatically. Just need to check my offsets on forks and clamps so I don't fuck shit up Whistling
2/17/2016 11:06am
Parts Woohoo
Just a small test batch from partzilla.com, but anyway Smile

New hardware for the radiators, just need the Ti-bolts.. need to make an Ti-order soon..Smile

Mounted on gpi-rads, feel a little bad to use these, don't got an scale but they actually feel lighter than stock, need to buy a small scale! If they are crap, I'll buy oem ones if still possible.

Got the newer style footpeg-mounts from a member here! Smile got some oem pegs from my 15 250, but I'll look for some Titanium ones.. Will probably get the mudguard machined off to save some weight. But first of all, I am going to mount them up on one side, and oem on the other and check so it's the same angle and a correctly fitment.

Started to clean up the dog-bone, 240 grit sandpaper and then scotchbrite. not done yet, but some progress pics.

That's all Laughing please leave some cheering comments Whistling
Jmcd1988
2/17/2016 4:33pm
CheerfulCheerfulCheerfulCheerful

Looks good. Dog bone is looking great!
2/19/2016 10:12am
Powdercoater ready Woohoo
Other frame is a friends I help out, -14 crf 450
Putting his motor in tomorrow Smile

They didn't blast the inside of the hub, so I'll have to clean them somehow..

Excuse the mess..
Now i Need some bearings, and a titanium bolt order and start piecing parts together Whistling need to write down some sizes.
2/19/2016 11:32am
How long did it take you to sand off the casting lines with the 240 grit sand paper and to polish it with a scotch bright pad?

I'm curious, what led you to the decision to powder coat your aluminum frame? Powder coating it prob added between 1 to 2 lbs to the bike, and then your going to put a ti bolt order through? Sucks because weight you save from ti will be negated by the powder coat. Anodizing would have kept weight to a minimum. Great build thought
2/19/2016 12:07pm
How long did it take you to sand off the casting lines with the 240 grit sand paper and to polish it with a scotch bright...
How long did it take you to sand off the casting lines with the 240 grit sand paper and to polish it with a scotch bright pad?

I'm curious, what led you to the decision to powder coat your aluminum frame? Powder coating it prob added between 1 to 2 lbs to the bike, and then your going to put a ti bolt order through? Sucks because weight you save from ti will be negated by the powder coat. Anodizing would have kept weight to a minimum. Great build thought
The dogbone took maybe 1hr or so, I'm not working so I need to do something anyway.. Laughing

Yeah I was waiting for that question actually Tongue

The frame got some marks and dents, and wouldn't look good with ano or stock aluminum, so I went with powdercoat for now, if I find a real nice almost new frame later, I'll just switch.

And I'm probably going the Sff-air fork route and the 47 mm showas as backup, so I'll automatically lose some good weight there Smile (just need to confirm some fork lug offsets)

And most of the bolts are bad anyway, and oem steel bolts ain't that cheap either, cheaper of course.. but when I do it, just go balls out Whistling

I'm also going to try have custom guts/think seat foam, carbon tank and so on, so the powdercoat adds of course, but for now, I'll live with it Smile

Hope the answer is good enough Grinning
2/19/2016 1:47pm
How long did it take you to sand off the casting lines with the 240 grit sand paper and to polish it with a scotch bright...

The dogbone took maybe 1hr or so, I'm not working so I need to do something anyway.. :laugh: Yeah I was waiting for that question actually...
The dogbone took maybe 1hr or so, I'm not working so I need to do something anyway.. Laughing

Yeah I was waiting for that question actually Tongue

The frame got some marks and dents, and wouldn't look good with ano or stock aluminum, so I went with powdercoat for now, if I find a real nice almost new frame later, I'll just switch.

And I'm probably going the Sff-air fork route and the 47 mm showas as backup, so I'll automatically lose some good weight there Smile (just need to confirm some fork lug offsets)

And most of the bolts are bad anyway, and oem steel bolts ain't that cheap either, cheaper of course.. but when I do it, just go balls out Whistling

I'm also going to try have custom guts/think seat foam, carbon tank and so on, so the powdercoat adds of course, but for now, I'll live with it Smile

Hope the answer is good enough Grinning
Hahaha that answer suffices. I'm going to do the same with my dog bone and linkage. It looks awesome removing the casting lines. I also purchased a custom guys phantom seat foam for my rm 125 to lower the weight. Guts is an awesome company to deal with. Also ordered a ti shock spring as well. Maybe you should go ti spring too Wink hahah
2/19/2016 2:13pm
Yeah I got an guts for my crf 250, good stuff, even tough I cracked the carbon Base in a crashWhistling

Rear shock I haven't decided what do do yet, going to let my suspension guy work some magic on what bolts up in the rear.. the crf 450 14 have the same lenght and clevis, so that options for more aftermarket stuff, like Öhlins and kit shocks, if you get the valving right.
but an ti spring is an option TongueLaughing

Actually gonna mock up the subframe with airbox and look at clearance with the 14 450 shock this weekend. And se if it's the same up top Wink
2/20/2016 3:18am
The shock didn't fit, now I have tested anyway Smile
Mounted up the tank-rubberguard at least, glued to the frame Smile

HenryA
2/20/2016 4:42am
Looks good! What wheels are you going to run?
2/20/2016 5:05am
Stock hubs with excels I think, regular.. not a60, but need to check if Did have a lighter rim than excel. Smile weight is the key Grinning
2/20/2016 10:40am
Where in Sweden did you buy the scotchbrite stuff? I do also want to give my engines some factory look Wink
Manco
2/21/2016 10:12am
Nice work on the build so far. Its gonna look great when finished.

Post a reply to: CR 125 build

The Latest