Building an RM-Z 450 for Pro Nationals

Grizz
Edited Date/Time 5/2/2015 3:11pm
What the hell should I do!? I've always ran basically bone stock bikes with a pipe and bars, but this year I will trying a couple of nationals and want to take it a bit further. I need some suggestions from people that know more than myself!

The area I need the most help in is engine mods and what to do to the FI system. I don't want to go insane in the motor (I mean shit, it's a 450!) I just want it to be tuned more specifically for a pro rider than how it comes stock.

With my limited knowledge, I was thinking higher compression piston, polish the tranny, and have the bike re-mapped and put the power more where I like it. I already have a Yosh RS-4 system for the bike and I think I'll be keeping that as it should pass sound testing. Also, I already have the more important stuff like suspension and brakes taken care of. I know nothing will substitute my own riding ability but I figure I might as well make a sweet race bike while I have the oppurtunity!

If not obvious, this is a 100% privateer effort between my dad and myself so getting the most bang for my buck is going to be key! I won't be getting anything for free, maybe some discounts at best, so if you can keep that in mind when suggesting parts.
|
Grizz
3/23/2015 8:42am Edited Date/Time 3/23/2015 10:09pm
As far as everything else besides the engine goes, here is what I already have.

Tag bars that I prefer over stock
Yosh RS-4 system
Acerbis skid plate
WC radiator braces
oversized front rotor
Pro-Action Suspension (one of my few sponsors but they help me out a lot!)

I plan on adding these parts:

Hinson clutch plate and spring kit and billetproof basket (don't have a grand to drop on the full Hinson clutch but I think this will be good improvement over the stock one)

Chain and sprockets (obviously)

Streamline clutch perch and front brake lever with steel brake lines

Moto Hose Y hose kit

slipdog
3/23/2015 9:13am
Get the head ported before polishing anything. If I was you I'd call and talk to DJ at Pro-Action since they are a sponsor of yours.
Rowlands
3/23/2015 9:54am Edited Date/Time 3/23/2015 9:55am
Get what you need. I don't mean to sound like a dick ( I proberly do )
But it's true . Just remember the more you upgrade/modify the more maintenance it is.
Grizz
3/23/2015 11:27am
slipdog wrote:
Get the head ported before polishing anything. If I was you I'd call and talk to DJ at Pro-Action since they are a sponsor of yours.
Holy hell I didn't even think about that... I'll probably see them this weekend so I'll have a chat about it. Thanks!

The Shop

Markee
Fantasy
1890th
3/23/2015 12:12pm
You doing Budds for sure right? Whats you number man, I'll hit you with the air horn to cheer you on!
Grizz
3/23/2015 12:14pm
Markee wrote:
You doing Budds for sure right? Whats you number man, I'll hit you with the air horn to cheer you on!
Yep, definitely Budds! 402.
3/23/2015 5:04pm
I don t race, but if i were planning on a national then better brakes and suspension would be number one priority. Dont forget to add a tooth!
DJS721
3/23/2015 5:56pm
Markee wrote:
Grizz wrote:
Get the mods that make you most comfortable, and build a reliable engine first, HP second. The bike is fast enough, get to the finish line. DJ is one of the best, work with him and get the suspension dialed that is more important then most everything else.

And since you run the most righteous number in the universe, send me a pic for this page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Number/668900573143554?ref=hl

Good luck at the Nat's!
3/23/2015 9:41pm
Grizz, my buddy has a set of ohlins with 2hrs on them from michael byrne when he was testing for alessi good stuff! $3k firm with springs if u are interested tex me 8482102782
Grizz
3/23/2015 10:04pm
Markee wrote:
Grizz wrote:
DJS721 wrote:
Get the mods that make you most comfortable, and build a reliable engine first, HP second. The bike is fast enough, get to the finish line...
Get the mods that make you most comfortable, and build a reliable engine first, HP second. The bike is fast enough, get to the finish line. DJ is one of the best, work with him and get the suspension dialed that is more important then most everything else.

And since you run the most righteous number in the universe, send me a pic for this page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Number/668900573143554?ref=hl

Good luck at the Nat's!
Thanks for the tips! Definitely getting the suspension dialed in ASAP.

I'm glad I'm running someones favorite number! Wasn't one of my choices but I'm cool with it, something new! I'll get you a picture as soon as I have my graphics in.
Grizz
3/23/2015 10:05pm
Grizz, my buddy has a set of ohlins with 2hrs on them from michael byrne when he was testing for alessi good stuff! $3k firm with...
Grizz, my buddy has a set of ohlins with 2hrs on them from michael byrne when he was testing for alessi good stuff! $3k firm with springs if u are interested tex me 8482102782
That would be bad ass but definitely not in the budget at the moment. Thanks for offering though.
Grizz
3/23/2015 10:06pm
I don t race, but if i were planning on a national then better brakes and suspension would be number one priority. Dont forget to add...
I don t race, but if i were planning on a national then better brakes and suspension would be number one priority. Dont forget to add a tooth!
Brakes and suspension are definitely my priority. I'm only asking about the engine because that's where I'm clueless!
3/24/2015 1:18am
Grizz wrote:
Brakes and suspension are definitely my priority. I'm only asking about the engine because that's where I'm clueless!
I hear you, brother; I'd be lost engine wise as well.
JBlain619
3/24/2015 7:09am
Grizz,

My RMZ 450 has a full E10 mods motor, tranny polished, with full yosh and mapping. You can take it for a spin if you'd like. Should be riding somewhere this wknd.
Sixeightone
3/24/2015 7:47am
Take it for what it's worth but I have been to a dozen or so nationals with one of my best friends who races the lites class.

The first and most important thing to do is get some good suspension on the bike!! You can't ride an already fast bike if it doesn't handle!

The second thing I would do Is get a hold of Dan crower at crower cams. I personally wouldn't do a high compression piston.

I would trim your cylinder .01-.02'' and try to get your squish gap as tight as possible and build your compression that way.

The manufacturer oem pistons are always the most reliable and usually weigh quite a bit less.

Dan will sell you a kick ass cam that will wake your bike right up.

You will then have to make sure per spec that your cam is degreed correctly.

I'd do a full stainless exhaust with aluminum can because they hold up better than the ti stuff. The ti stuff is trick but it always cracks and dents real easily.

I'd make sure you have good valves, good seats, and find someone who can give you a good port job.

Get some race gas, talk to dan I'm sure he can recommend something for you. We always run VPR or U4.4

Put it on a dyno, make sure your air/fuel mixture is correct at every 500-1000rmp

And if you want to get real sick into it. Send the crank to falicon and get what they have called a supercrank! Polish up your transmission, get some ceramic crank bearings! But all that is frivolous

Then all you have to do is hold it really wideee!!!

mxb2
3/24/2015 8:05am
oem piston, deck the head, crower cam, polish tranny, remap or vortex ignition, remove screen from air filter, moto tassanari air boot, vp pro 6 or renegade sx4 or sx+,both legal for pro racing, u4.4 is not, hinson clutch, whole system. gear it 13/50.
Trav138
3/24/2015 8:35am
Are you racing PAMX this season Grizz
Grizz
3/24/2015 9:06am
JBlain619 wrote:
Grizz, My RMZ 450 has a full E10 mods motor, tranny polished, with full yosh and mapping. You can take it for a spin if you'd...
Grizz,

My RMZ 450 has a full E10 mods motor, tranny polished, with full yosh and mapping. You can take it for a spin if you'd like. Should be riding somewhere this wknd.
Are you riding anywhere saturday? I'll be racing doublin on Sunday.

Sixeightone: thanks for the tips. Idk about cams and all that but I'm taking every thing into consideration.

Mxb2: thanks for the suggestions!

Trav138: occasionally, doing doublin this weekend. I have some PAMX bucks to spend lol. I'm tryin to find the biggest A gates I can and unfortunately we haven't been getting those in PAMX. My only motivation to race them is contingency.
JBlain619
3/24/2015 9:16am
JBlain619 wrote:
Grizz, My RMZ 450 has a full E10 mods motor, tranny polished, with full yosh and mapping. You can take it for a spin if you'd...
Grizz,

Grizz wrote:
Are you riding anywhere saturday? I'll be racing doublin on Sunday. Sixeightone: thanks for the tips. Idk about cams and all that but I'm taking every...
Are you riding anywhere saturday? I'll be racing doublin on Sunday.

Sixeightone: thanks for the tips. Idk about cams and all that but I'm taking every thing into consideration.

Mxb2: thanks for the suggestions!

Trav138: occasionally, doing doublin this weekend. I have some PAMX bucks to spend lol. I'm tryin to find the biggest A gates I can and unfortunately we haven't been getting those in PAMX. My only motivation to race them is contingency.
Speed Citi possibly...weather permitting. DM sent.
slipdog
3/24/2015 1:33pm
@ slipdog, do u do 4 stroke motor work?
Yep, I go both ways. Shocked

Errrrr, maybe that didn't come out right...
mxtech1
3/25/2015 10:17am
I'm going to be brutally honest with you....If you aren't confident you can qualify into the fast 40, you don't need a high $$$ race motor. The single most important thing you should be focused on is suspension. Obviously make sure all other parts of the bike are fresh and tight, but you are going to need lots of money for tires, fuel, lodging, consumables, etc.

Motor wise here's what I think you should do. Go through it and rebuild it. It would be fine to put a high compression piston and cams in it, but other than that don't worry about performance mods. A full Hinson clutch is a great idea. Put an exhaust system on it and get the mapping dialed in. That's all you need.

You and a lot of other people will likely disagree with this, but you would be surprised at how many privateers can/do qualify on mostly stock or mildly modified 450 motors. I've been at the nationals and seen it work. A high $$ race motor does no good if you don't have the raw speed to put you near the 30-50 qualifying range.
Grizz
3/25/2015 12:29pm Edited Date/Time 3/25/2015 12:34pm
mxtech1 wrote:
I'm going to be brutally honest with you....If you aren't confident you can qualify into the fast 40, you don't need a high $$$ race motor...
I'm going to be brutally honest with you....If you aren't confident you can qualify into the fast 40, you don't need a high $$$ race motor. The single most important thing you should be focused on is suspension. Obviously make sure all other parts of the bike are fresh and tight, but you are going to need lots of money for tires, fuel, lodging, consumables, etc.

Motor wise here's what I think you should do. Go through it and rebuild it. It would be fine to put a high compression piston and cams in it, but other than that don't worry about performance mods. A full Hinson clutch is a great idea. Put an exhaust system on it and get the mapping dialed in. That's all you need.

You and a lot of other people will likely disagree with this, but you would be surprised at how many privateers can/do qualify on mostly stock or mildly modified 450 motors. I've been at the nationals and seen it work. A high $$ race motor does no good if you don't have the raw speed to put you near the 30-50 qualifying range.
You got me all wrong, this is exactly what I wanted to hear! I just want to know the bare minimum. Trust me I know know suspension is most important thing and also what I'll spend the most time getting right. The bikes going to be brand new so I don't need to rebuild anything.

Honestly, I thought my original post was making it clear that I don't want a high dollar race motor, guess not haha. I am confident I can make it in the fast 40 but I am a little worried about being left behind at the gate if I leave the motor bone stock. I can't really afford to do the whole Hinson clutch (or rekluse) so wouldn't the plates, fibers, springs, and basket be the next best thing?

I know some people will read above and think, "He can get a brand new bike for nationals but can't afford a Hinson clutch?" Well my dad is buying the bikes and all the parts and upgrades are on me. I only work part-time because I go to college full-time. Contingency money from local racing helps me get most parts.

Edit: Forgot to say thanks for the suggestions mxtech. I'm still open to suggestions on motor mods but I know running good fuel and getting it mapped correctly will be my priority.
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1959th
3/25/2015 1:05pm
I wouldn't worry too much about the motor, especially with the short start at Budds.

This was a stock motor with just an FMF pipe at Elsinore on the 241 of Derek Anderson (he's on the outside of the first picture).

Sprint speed (and suspension you are used to and comfortable with pushing the limits on) for qualifying and endurance for the motos are what you can focus on.

The basket/plates on the clutch are a solid investment along with good fuel. A clutch to swap partway through the day to a freshy is also a solid investment. And tires.
gpracer36
3/25/2015 2:51pm
as a lurker most the time, nice to see a thread with a question followed by real advice.

Good luck man, will keep an eye out for you!
Grizz
3/25/2015 5:43pm
I wouldn't worry too much about the motor, especially with the short start at Budds. This was a stock motor with just an FMF pipe at...
I wouldn't worry too much about the motor, especially with the short start at Budds.

This was a stock motor with just an FMF pipe at Elsinore on the 241 of Derek Anderson (he's on the outside of the first picture).

Sprint speed (and suspension you are used to and comfortable with pushing the limits on) for qualifying and endurance for the motos are what you can focus on.

The basket/plates on the clutch are a solid investment along with good fuel. A clutch to swap partway through the day to a freshy is also a solid investment. And tires.
Yea I remember Derek and I always wondered if he was really on a stock motor. Good to hear. Unfortunately Muddy Creek and High Point have uphill starts and Unadilla is fairly long but I'm fully aware reaction time and technique can't be beat by horsepower (most of the time anyways Laughing )

Thanks for the tips Chex.
Grizz
3/25/2015 5:49pm
gpracer36 wrote:
as a lurker most the time, nice to see a thread with a question followed by real advice. Good luck man, will keep an eye out...
as a lurker most the time, nice to see a thread with a question followed by real advice.

Thanks!
mxtech1
3/26/2015 8:45am
Don't worry about the starts. You're going to have nearly 40 minutes to work your way up.
mxb2
3/26/2015 10:01am
gpracer36 wrote:
as a lurker most the time, nice to see a thread with a question followed by real advice. Good luck man, will keep an eye out...

Grizz wrote:
Thanks!
Grizz, i know its not motor related, but i have like new rmz wheelset with tires for sale $450 plus shipping, i ll be in md late april for nj sx, and handgun training if ur interested in them., probably 15 minutes on them. hit my cell 301-801-1987 billy, thanks Wgoske@yahoo.com
nytsmaC
3/26/2015 10:28am
JBlain619 wrote:
Grizz,

Wiseco piston?

Post a reply to: Building an RM-Z 450 for Pro Nationals

The Latest