Bronwyn's YZ125

JW381
Edited Date/Time 7/1/2015 7:43pm
Figured I'd start our own thread.

The mint '05 she picked up has been sitting for a long while. It's definitely getting too much air on the pilot circuit. The idle doesn't hang or anything so it doesn't seem like a general air leak. The carb also leaks out the overflow. I've taken the carb apart and cleaned it. There's a small amount of corrosion on all the brass pieces.

In this pic, where the middle hole is, that's the pilot jet hole (the circuit that is causing the bog). Behind the threads there's a brass piece that the long end of the pilot syncs up with. The outer edges of this brass fitting are a little gouged. Not sure if that could be causing it to run lean on that circuit. Seems plausible.

We're trying to get it to work before ordering a new carb. Everything else on the bike is pretty much un-touched, but that doesn't mean a gasket or seal could be bad in the many years it's been stagnant.

|
JW381
5/28/2015 7:33pm
Video is uploading, will post asap
JW381
5/28/2015 7:41pm
So jetting is stock, I moved the needle up a clip position to the 2nd from the top. This was just after I drained the carb to see what jets were actually in it. Was about 70 degrees today, 500' above sea level. It started off pretty good it seemed like, but then the lean bog came back as it heated up, as you can see (watch all the way thru).

05 YZ125 Lean Bog - More Motocross Videos

Bruce372
5/28/2015 8:24pm
are you sure its not loading up because its too rich?
JW381
5/28/2015 8:42pm
Bruce372 wrote:
are you sure its not loading up because its too rich?
It's a bog, it's not shooting out a buncha smoke. And when it's in gear you have to slip the clutch a shit ton to get it going from a dead stop. I had that problem with my CR, confusing the rich symptom with a lean symptom, but I'm sure this is a lean bog.

The Shop

JW381
5/28/2015 8:44pm
Couple other things:

The shock spring was free to spin around the shock body. I moved the adjusters down to put tension on the spring, is that a normal thing? We're gonna get it resprung and set the sag for her when she's here in a couple weeks.

The front brake is pretty mushy, I bled it and topped it off. Was just wondering if that '05 brake is just shitty in stock form.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
5/28/2015 9:06pm Edited Date/Time 5/28/2015 9:07pm
Does it still have the stock jetting in it? Stock is generally pretty close on the 05+ YZ125's. On my 06 stock jetting was perfect wit the stock pipe. I experimented up and down 1 on everything and ended up back at all stock. When I put an FMF pipe and silencer on I went up 1 on the pilot to a 42.5 and down one on the main to a 400.

The main seals may have dried up from sitting. Couldn't hurt to throw some new ones in.

How does the needle and seat look? They are replaceable on this carb.

Lots of people think the YZ brakes suck but when they are bled and functioning properly they can have a very firm lever and plenty of stopping power.
JW381
5/28/2015 9:14pm
FGR01 wrote:
Does it still have the stock jetting in it? Stock is generally pretty close on the 05+ YZ125's. On my 06 stock jetting was perfect wit...
Does it still have the stock jetting in it? Stock is generally pretty close on the 05+ YZ125's. On my 06 stock jetting was perfect wit the stock pipe. I experimented up and down 1 on everything and ended up back at all stock. When I put an FMF pipe and silencer on I went up 1 on the pilot to a 42.5 and down one on the main to a 400.

The main seals may have dried up from sitting. Couldn't hurt to throw some new ones in.

How does the needle and seat look? They are replaceable on this carb.

Lots of people think the YZ brakes suck but when they are bled and functioning properly they can have a very firm lever and plenty of stopping power.
Yes, stock jetting, except I moved the needle up. I originally suspected the main seals might have dried up, then I changed my mind after moving the needle. But you could very well be right, might throw some new ones in just for the hell of it.

The needle and seat looked good to me, passed the eye test.

The lever is definitely not firm and stopping power is pretty lax. I'll put some new pads on and re-bleed it.
Spydee
5/29/2015 12:04am
"our own thread", awwwww Tongue

I was going to suggest it may be too rich also, I had the same thing happen with my RM125 when I first got it. Dry
mxtech1
5/29/2015 7:45am
I would start with the cheap stuff first. Buy new jets including the coupler and seats. Make sure the float is good and set it to the proper height. Inspect the pilot circuit and make sure it's free.

Play with the air mixture screw. Can you eliminate that bog by going to an extreme in or out? This would indicate where you need to be with the pilot size.

What does the slide and carb body look like? Can you post a picture of both?

Have you checked the reeds for cracks and or chips?

I would do and check all of these items before I put seals in it.
JW381
5/29/2015 7:58am
Spydee wrote:
"[b]our[/b] own thread", awwwww :P I was going to suggest it may be too rich also, I had the same thing happen with my RM125 when...
"our own thread", awwwww Tongue

I was going to suggest it may be too rich also, I had the same thing happen with my RM125 when I first got it. Dry
LaughingLaughing

Well it got better when I richened the needle, and the bottom end bog seems to get better when I choke it. Seems lean.
JW381
5/29/2015 8:01am
mxtech1 wrote:
I would start with the cheap stuff first. Buy new jets including the coupler and seats. Make sure the float is good and set it to...
I would start with the cheap stuff first. Buy new jets including the coupler and seats. Make sure the float is good and set it to the proper height. Inspect the pilot circuit and make sure it's free.

Play with the air mixture screw. Can you eliminate that bog by going to an extreme in or out? This would indicate where you need to be with the pilot size.

What does the slide and carb body look like? Can you post a picture of both?

Have you checked the reeds for cracks and or chips?

I would do and check all of these items before I put seals in it.
Okay thats kinda what I was thinking, starting cheapest. But I'll get the carb rebuilt first.
JW381
5/29/2015 8:17am
Correction: I raised the needle by DROPPING the clip position. 4th from the top.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
5/29/2015 9:36am
I have plenty of practice with this:

http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Race-Shop,42/2005-YZ125-bog-issue-with-vi…

Purchase or fab up a leak-down kit, that and a defective carb ended up fixing my problems.

The intake manifold was leaking on mine, but only after it warmed up. Oddly enough, it wouldn't change rpms if that area was sprayed with WD-40, Ether, or carb cleaner while the engine was running. Soapy water and the leak-down tester finally revealed the issue. Some Hondabond on both sides of the gasket fixed it right up.
JW381
5/29/2015 9:49am
I have plenty of practice with this: http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Race-Shop,42/2005-YZ125-bog-issue-with-videos,1254588 Purchase or fab up a leak-down kit, that and a defective carb ended up fixing my problems. The...
I have plenty of practice with this:

http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Race-Shop,42/2005-YZ125-bog-issue-with-vi…

Purchase or fab up a leak-down kit, that and a defective carb ended up fixing my problems.

The intake manifold was leaking on mine, but only after it warmed up. Oddly enough, it wouldn't change rpms if that area was sprayed with WD-40, Ether, or carb cleaner while the engine was running. Soapy water and the leak-down tester finally revealed the issue. Some Hondabond on both sides of the gasket fixed it right up.
I just bought some high temp rtv yesterday and was going to seal up the intake, but then I had written off a leak! Damnit. Well I'll get back to it today. I had the guy spray WD40 around the intake when I first looked at it, and no rpm change either. Weird. It feels close to good, just that low end bog. Engine note seems a little high, but I haven't dealt with a 125 in a long time haha
BB67
5/29/2015 5:55pm Edited Date/Time 5/29/2015 5:58pm
did you take out the air screw and spring when you cleaned the carb? if not take both out and squirt carb cleaner in with a straw and then blow air thru with a fine tip blower. set the screw from the all in position per specs on that mod and year, start it and ck for bog or hesitation adjust it in or out 1/4 turn and rev to ck if its better or worse.if the screw makes little or no diff that is the problem. you can try to clean it again but most of the time a new or diff carb is needed. also it seems that when the air screw passage is blocked it will leak out the overflow even if the needle and seat is good/new.
JW381
5/29/2015 6:14pm
BB67 wrote:
did you take out the air screw and spring when you cleaned the carb? if not take both out and squirt carb cleaner in with a...
did you take out the air screw and spring when you cleaned the carb? if not take both out and squirt carb cleaner in with a straw and then blow air thru with a fine tip blower. set the screw from the all in position per specs on that mod and year, start it and ck for bog or hesitation adjust it in or out 1/4 turn and rev to ck if its better or worse.if the screw makes little or no diff that is the problem. you can try to clean it again but most of the time a new or diff carb is needed. also it seems that when the air screw passage is blocked it will leak out the overflow even if the needle and seat is good/new.
Wow that's good info thanks man I'll give that a try.
BB67
5/29/2015 6:20pm
on your final adjustment of the air screw make sure it is warmed up and has a clean oiled air filter in place. adjusting the air screw with no filter in not as effective.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
5/29/2015 10:00pm
JW381 wrote:
I just bought some high temp rtv yesterday and was going to seal up the intake, but then I had written off a leak! Damnit. Well...
I just bought some high temp rtv yesterday and was going to seal up the intake, but then I had written off a leak! Damnit. Well I'll get back to it today. I had the guy spray WD40 around the intake when I first looked at it, and no rpm change either. Weird. It feels close to good, just that low end bog. Engine note seems a little high, but I haven't dealt with a 125 in a long time haha
Whatever sealant you use on the reed block, it has to be resistant to gasoline. Most common silicone RTV's are not. Otherwise the gas will just eat through it in no time. I use Permatex Moto-Seal.
cwtoyota
5/29/2015 10:17pm
I only read the first post, so yeah I might be "that guy".

I bought a nearly brand new 2011 while my 2008 was my primary race bike.
The 2011 dripped gas and felt lean.

So I think they ran pump premium due to the slight corrosion of brass parts.
The bike NEVER ran as well as my 2008 did. It felt lean on top and acted funny in the main event of the Dream Race last year.

I almost swapped carbs but decided to pay the $17 to Yamaha for a new float needle/seat set.

Now she rips!

If your bike is dripping fuel, replace the needle and seat set first.

By the way, the stock 2008 jetting works extremely well with a VF3 reed and FMF pipe.
Get some good ethanol free fuel in there. Pump gas kills two strokes.

markit
5/30/2015 4:39am
Also is it keeps up, check you IG side crank seal just to be safe.
mxb2
5/30/2015 5:31am
do.you guys share cell phones and passwords on fb? lolGrinning
5/30/2015 6:57am
mxb2 wrote:
My wife and I do. Been married almost 32 years - works good for us.

JW, we have a 2006 YZ125. Never had any bog issues, but it did leak fuel out of the carb bowl. The needle set was worn out. Beyond that, I've got nothing because the advice you've already received is a great start. Good luck!
mxb2
5/30/2015 7:27am
Thats cool guess i am different,, i like some privacy, , not some one checking my stuff 24/7.
5/30/2015 7:30am
mxb2 wrote:
Thats cool guess i am different,, i like some privacy, , not some one checking my stuff 24/7.
Yeah, MXB2...you know how it is. What works for some doesn't work for others. Enjoy the racing today, friend! Smile
mxb2
5/30/2015 8:36am
mxb2 wrote:
Yeah, MXB2...you know how it is. What works for some doesn't work for others. Enjoy the racing today, friend! Smile
You to man, lakewood, canada,mxgp, great wknd,.
JW381
5/30/2015 9:07am
Thanks dudes, much appreciated Cool
bronwynrayne
5/31/2015 3:04am
mxb2 wrote:
Ha no, in fact we have been apart for more than two months now... Reunited in 12 days for the summer though! If you have something to hide that says enough anyways...

On another note thanks for your input everyone. You guys rock.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
5/31/2015 7:26am
Having sat for that long could it be something as simple as a the jets not perfectly clean and smooth?
TM
JW381
5/31/2015 3:24pm
mxb2 wrote:
Ha no, in fact we have been apart for more than two months now... Reunited in 12 days for the summer though! If you have something...
Ha no, in fact we have been apart for more than two months now... Reunited in 12 days for the summer though! If you have something to hide that says enough anyways...

My browser history, my rights.
mxb2
5/31/2015 4:10pm
mxb2 wrote:
Ha no, in fact we have been apart for more than two months now... Reunited in 12 days for the summer though! If you have something...

Nothing to hide, i like certain aspects of privacy.

Post a reply to: Bronwyn's YZ125

The Latest