Best Brake Fluid and KalGard reviews?

MOTO120
Edited Date/Time 7/8/2012 3:39pm
Hello all,
Just curiuos what some of your opinions are on what is the best brake fluid available......strictly MX use. Also, has anyone used any KalGard products and what's your opinions on that stuff..........especially the chain wax and the "Pro Shine"/"Prep and Shine". Thanks for any information.
|
MOTO120
6/14/2012 6:06am
Also, has anyone ever tried a "brake bleeder kit" to bleed their brakes with (meant more for automotive use)? If not, what is the preferred/best method to getting a solid feeling brake....NOT "soft" feeling? Thanks.
mxb2
6/14/2012 1:52pm
MOTO120 wrote:
Also, has anyone ever tried a "brake bleeder kit" to bleed their brakes with (meant more for automotive use)? If not, what is the preferred/best method...
Also, has anyone ever tried a "brake bleeder kit" to bleed their brakes with (meant more for automotive use)? If not, what is the preferred/best method to getting a solid feeling brake....NOT "soft" feeling? Thanks.
check transworld motocross.com, they have helpful videos on bike service
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
6/20/2012 8:28pm Edited Date/Time 6/20/2012 8:29pm
DOT 5.1 is a great fluid with a higher boiling point than DOT 3 or 4. Realistically, you won't ever need it for MX, though. We don't get our wheels turning fast enough, nor do we apply the brakes for as long as they do in roadracing. I doubt anyone boils his brake fluid in MX. Castrol and Motul offer 5.1 in the US, I believe.

DO NOT use DOT 5 in an MX bike! It is silicone-based fluid and will not mix with the original fluid in the system.
Bosco
7/8/2012 3:39pm
I'm a big(ish) guy, and I ride the front brake very heavy under braking (one of my many downfalls... Tongue ). I boiled brake fluid once or twice in the middle of a race. What we did was change up the front brake hose for a steel braided line and use Castrol racing brake fluid. It has a much higher boiling point, and it did the trick.

Like 'Falcon' says, don't mix brake fluids. Drain the whole system and replace it with the new fluid.

We also figured out a really cool way of getting the fluid in there again. Get a big syringe (something like this http://www.arssales.com/images/60cc_Dosing_Syringe02.jpg ) and attach a length of hose to it tightly - you don't want any air getting in there. We used to tape it on just to be sure. Fill the syringe up with your brake fluid. Make sure everything in the brake system is on tightly (banjo bolts, etc.) and take off the top of the master cylinder. Fix the free end of the hose onto the bleed nipple on the caliper. Open up the nipple and push the fluid through slowly. If you don't have enough fluid in the syringe, close the nipple, take off the hose and fill it up again and fix it back on without any air in the hose before you open up the nipple again. Push the fluid through until it comes out into (and fills up) the master cylinder. Close the nipple, Put the top back on the cylinder, and you should be good to go! We got quite good at this technique due to some brake line experiments. I remember we used to be able to change out a hose and bleed the system in less than 5 minutes!

Post a reply to: Best Brake Fluid and KalGard reviews?

The Latest