Anyone used a "OEM Standard" Keihn knock-off carb?

mark_swart
Edited Date/Time 6/28/2014 6:42pm
I'm working on an 87 CR 125 restore, the stock carb is trashed. I'm finding new carbs made by "OEM Standard" on ebay for good prices, supposedly 100 percent interchangeable with Keihn jets/needles/etc. I'm guessing it's a Chinese knock off?

Has anyone ever used one? I could get one of these brand new for what some of the 30 year old Keihns are going for. I'm not going to put the bike in a museum so Keihn or not isn't too important, but I need it to run right. Here's the link - I'd love to hear some opinions:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CR125-R-125R-Carburetor-Carb-1985-1986-1987-NEW-/191223530475?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c85cf83eb&vxp=mtr

Thanks!
|
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
6/23/2014 5:12pm
I ordered a carb kit that turned out to be made in China, probably right next to that carb. Most of the parts were unusable, some of it was okay though.
BAMX
6/23/2014 10:08pm
mark_swart wrote:
I'm working on an 87 CR 125 restore, the stock carb is trashed. I'm finding new carbs made by "OEM Standard" on ebay for good prices...
I'm working on an 87 CR 125 restore, the stock carb is trashed. I'm finding new carbs made by "OEM Standard" on ebay for good prices, supposedly 100 percent interchangeable with Keihn jets/needles/etc. I'm guessing it's a Chinese knock off?

Has anyone ever used one? I could get one of these brand new for what some of the 30 year old Keihns are going for. I'm not going to put the bike in a museum so Keihn or not isn't too important, but I need it to run right. Here's the link - I'd love to hear some opinions:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CR125-R-125R-Carburetor-Carb-1985-1986-1987-NEW-/191223530475?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c85cf83eb&vxp=mtr

Thanks!
How bad is your stock carb? Have you tried an ultrasonic cleaner?
mark_swart
6/23/2014 10:37pm
BAMX wrote:
Thanks for the reply guys. Here's a couple of pics of what I'm working with just for laughs. It sat outdoors for around 10 years. My concern in cleaning it is if the choke/idle circuit will ever come clean. I haven't tried to disassemble that part yet. The slide was also stuck and let's just say it didn't come out willingly. I could probably salvage it with a new needle though.

How does the ultrasonic cleaner work and is that something that local auto shops might have?

DTHA70
6/24/2014 6:17am
ultrasonic cleaning and a soda blaster will make that thing usable

The Shop

Mr Bean
6/24/2014 10:50am
BAMX wrote:
mark_swart wrote:
Thanks for the reply guys. Here's a couple of pics of what I'm working with just for laughs. It sat outdoors for around 10 years. My...
Thanks for the reply guys. Here's a couple of pics of what I'm working with just for laughs. It sat outdoors for around 10 years. My concern in cleaning it is if the choke/idle circuit will ever come clean. I haven't tried to disassemble that part yet. The slide was also stuck and let's just say it didn't come out willingly. I could probably salvage it with a new needle though.

How does the ultrasonic cleaner work and is that something that local auto shops might have?

An ultrasonic cleaner looks like something you'd see in the kitchen for cooking. It typically has a stainless well (tank) that has solution in it, the part is placed in there and it uses ultra-high frequency vibrations to break the particles loose. They're used to clean dental and surgical tools and the like.
Google it for a more specific/accurate answer.

My biggest concern with an old PE Keihin like that is the choke/enrichening circuit. IIRC, they seal at the bottom of the plunger. I think it had a rubberized base that sealed against the supply passage. It could draw extra fuel for cold starting when the plunger was lifted.
The problem was they would lose seal and the bikes would start exhibiting rich-running characteristics that wouldn't respond to jetting changes (because the fuel was leaking by the plunger).

Not sure if just a new plunger would correct that scenario or if the wear was in the body (which would require carb replacement to correct).

Hope it helps.
mark_swart
6/24/2014 11:58am
I appreciate all of the info -- and the choke/idle is exactly what I'm concerned with. That part is servicable at $41-ish from motosport, then throw in new seals and a new needle and float valve and I have as much money into that carb as I would the new "OEM Standard" one. Or I am finding functional used Keihns at around $100. Sort of a crap shoot...
MXVet261
Fantasy
4061st
6/28/2014 4:50am
I live in the Cleveland area and use Carb Parts Warehouse quite often when building up old bikes. Not only do they have all the parts there in stock (usually) but they know old bikes pretty well.

I was just there this past week getting rebuild parts for my '92 RM250 Mikuni TMX carb.
Rmartin508
6/28/2014 5:56am
Looks like a keihin pj. I just bought one on eBay for 60.00.

Post a reply to: Anyone used a "OEM Standard" Keihn knock-off carb?

The Latest