2001 Honda CR250 Rebuild Project !!

bigboar
11/20/2014 9:36pm Edited Date/Time 12/27/2017 1:46pm
EDIT: This is the same thread titled "Anybody from FMF? I need help with my cr250 project!". I figured I would just turn it into my rebuild thread.....

I would like to know if there is anyway I can purchase a "works"(not plated) pipe for a 2001 cr250? I am a long time fmf fan but refuse to put a plated pipe on my build and was really hoping to get a works pipe only to find out there is only a plated pipe listed. I can get another brand but would rather not if I don't have to....any help appreciated!

I bought this bike a month ago to do as a father/son winter project with one of my 11 year old twin boys. As can be seen in last pic bike Needs a lot of love. Project is coming along now and I just finished sanding the frame and giving it a brushed finish...

|
bigboar
11/20/2014 9:49pm
Swingarm ready for new bearings

My son helping during tear down...lol

11/21/2014 3:43am
what about a scalvini? looks more 'works' than the unplated fmf
slipdog
11/21/2014 5:56am
Nice shop Bro!
hvaughn88
11/21/2014 6:10am
love the shop man! Oakley cabinet in the background? We keep all of our helmets in one just like it.

The Shop

dogger315
11/21/2014 8:11am
Nice job on the cosmetics on the frame - looks better than new.

I haven't had much luck with any of the pipe shops doing custom one offs for builds. They aren't
really set up for that - unless of course, you have a connection.

You might consider buying a plated pipe and have the plating removed. I have done this on several
vintage restos and with a little work, the pipe looks just like a "works". Take the plated pipe to your
friendly chrome shop. They can remove the plating with the special acid baths they maintain. Once
you get it back, take a torch to the weld seems to bring back the bluing and you're done.

If you want to see pictures of the conversion, check out the vintage forum on here.

Good luck with the project, looks like a lot of fun.

dogger
K-dubbb
11/21/2014 9:09am
That Shop & car Woohoo

You have just set the bar! Bike looks good too Wink
bigboar
11/21/2014 9:57am Edited Date/Time 11/21/2014 10:12am
Thank you all for the nice comments! I appreciate the kind words...

as far as the pipe, I figured its probably useless but i would give it a shot. I thought all they would have to do is keep one out of the plating process and tack weld a tag they use on the newer cr works pipe on it but I know the chance was slim. I contacted motoman who distributes scalvini pipe back when i found out fmf didnt show a works pipe for my year and a gentleman i was emailing with told me they didnt stock one but he could order one from the factory and get it to me in a month. He wanted me to let him know if i wanted it for sure and I told him i did. He then told me he would get back to me within a few days to get my deposit but its now been 2 weeks and I never have received a reply.

bigboar
11/21/2014 9:59am
hvaughn88 wrote:
love the shop man! Oakley cabinet in the background? We keep all of our helmets in one just like it.
it sure is 88. I got it, the hydraulic bike lift that is in the floor and a pepsi machine from a friend of mine back when he closed his dealership...$400 for all of it and I couldnt make myself say no...lol
hvaughn88
11/21/2014 10:06am
hvaughn88 wrote:
bigboar wrote:
it sure is 88. I got it, the hydraulic bike lift that is in the floor and a pepsi machine from a friend of mine back...
it sure is 88. I got it, the hydraulic bike lift that is in the floor and a pepsi machine from a friend of mine back when he closed his dealership...$400 for all of it and I couldnt make myself say no...lol
that's awesome! Kind of a similar deal here, we have a friend that owns an apparel/sporting goods store and he basically gave away the Oakley cabinet and a fox cabinet when he updated his displays. My dad has the Oakley one in his shop and I have the fox one in mine. Really digging your shop.
bigboar
11/21/2014 10:07am
A little more on the project... I am going through this thing top to bottom and doing the 02-07 plastic conversion, all bearings, seals, etc. probably investing way too much but its more for the family bonding time than anything. I received my order of bearings the other day so now we grt the enjoyment of doing all of them...lol

bigboar
11/21/2014 10:11am
hvaughn88 wrote:
bigboar wrote:
it sure is 88. I got it, the hydraulic bike lift that is in the floor and a pepsi machine from a friend of mine back...
hvaughn88 wrote:
that's awesome! Kind of a similar deal here, we have a friend that owns an apparel/sporting goods store and he basically gave away the Oakley cabinet...
that's awesome! Kind of a similar deal here, we have a friend that owns an apparel/sporting goods store and he basically gave away the Oakley cabinet and a fox cabinet when he updated his displays. My dad has the Oakley one in his shop and I have the fox one in mine. Really digging your shop.
thanks 88! I built it myself and on a limited budget.. here is a thread about it on another forum if you get bored,,, http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34321

here was the thread I had on doing the inside stuff on the cheap... http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45000
captmoto
11/21/2014 6:48pm
What did you do to get the frame that clean? I know Honda recommends a red scotch bright, but was it all elbow grease?
CC268
11/21/2014 7:18pm
I seriously think someone needs to make a sticky on here for a list of products that can be used for cleaning the aluminum frame and parts...
pete24
11/21/2014 7:46pm
bigboar wrote:
Thank you all for the nice comments! I appreciate the kind words... as far as the pipe, I figured its probably useless but i would give...
Thank you all for the nice comments! I appreciate the kind words...

as far as the pipe, I figured its probably useless but i would give it a shot. I thought all they would have to do is keep one out of the plating process and tack weld a tag they use on the newer cr works pipe on it but I know the chance was slim. I contacted motoman who distributes scalvini pipe back when i found out fmf didnt show a works pipe for my year and a gentleman i was emailing with told me they didnt stock one but he could order one from the factory and get it to me in a month. He wanted me to let him know if i wanted it for sure and I told him i did. He then told me he would get back to me within a few days to get my deposit but its now been 2 weeks and I never have received a reply.

Pete at motoman is a good guy give him a call back, i get stuff from him all the time and he is very good, probably just forgot, you could always look for a DEP pipe they had an unplated one for my 96 cr
bigboar
11/22/2014 9:00am Edited Date/Time 11/22/2014 9:00am
captmoto wrote:
What did you do to get the frame that clean? I know Honda recommends a red scotch bright, but was it all elbow grease?
To clean the frame go buy aluma-bright aluminum cleaner. Just make sure the frame is stripped down to bare aluminum and I taped up the steering stem races. Spray the frame and let it sit a few minutes. Spray off and if it isn't all the way clean, do it again. Works great. You will then want to go back over the whole frame using a red scotchbrite pad and using wd40 as a lubricant. If you want the brushed finish like I did, that is another story as you will have to sand the frame by hand with sandpaper(I used 180 grit) and then go back over the frame with the red scotchbrite using wd40.
bigboar
11/22/2014 9:03am
captmoto wrote:
bigboar wrote:
To clean the frame go buy aluma-bright aluminum cleaner. Just make sure the frame is stripped down to bare aluminum and I taped up the steering...
To clean the frame go buy aluma-bright aluminum cleaner. Just make sure the frame is stripped down to bare aluminum and I taped up the steering stem races. Spray the frame and let it sit a few minutes. Spray off and if it isn't all the way clean, do it again. Works great. You will then want to go back over the whole frame using a red scotchbrite pad and using wd40 as a lubricant. If you want the brushed finish like I did, that is another story as you will have to sand the frame by hand with sandpaper(I used 180 grit) and then go back over the frame with the red scotchbrite using wd40.
Pete did seem like a very nice guy! I sent him another email yesterday and he forwarded me the message of where he is trying to confirm the fitment before he orders so I will see if he gets back to me. It just kinda brought me down on the scalvini because it is already costing darn near double the price as the other pipes and then it seems like I am the one having to do the leg work....
smoothies862
Fantasy
745th
11/22/2014 2:55pm
ill put the final finish on the frame with my gaerne 12sWoohoo
looking good,i need to swing by one night when i finally get off call. braaaaaaaaaaaaap!
bigboar
11/22/2014 3:47pm
ill put the final finish on the frame with my gaerne 12s:woohoo: looking good,i need to swing by one night when i finally get off call...
ill put the final finish on the frame with my gaerne 12sWoohoo
looking good,i need to swing by one night when i finally get off call. braaaaaaaaaaaaap!
Cool! Stop out brother!!!
slackinoff
11/24/2014 8:09am
Looks really nice so far. Excellent job on the frame.
Micahdogg
11/24/2014 1:18pm
Isn't the frame coated with something? I wondered if aluminum brightener would go through the coating or not?
bigboar
11/24/2014 9:43pm
BigDaddyG wrote:
http://www.fmfracing.com/Products/MX/54

This what you are looking for? Good work on the frame and swingarm!
That's it, but if you enter the year it is only available for 03-up not 00-01 thanks for the compliment! Appreciated!!
bigboar
11/24/2014 9:44pm
Micahdogg wrote:
Isn't the frame coated with something? I wondered if aluminum brightener would go through the coating or not?
Nope, frame is just aluminum....
bigboar
11/24/2014 9:51pm Edited Date/Time 11/24/2014 9:56pm
slackinoff wrote:
Looks really nice so far. Excellent job on the frame.
Thanks! Got the engine cases split yesterday and ordered more parts... Hopefully will get the chance to soda blast the cases next week, install new bearings and seals and get bottom end back together so I can mount it in frame and start the fun part of getting to reassemble stuff.. Still waiting on all the hardware to come back from replating also. I also received the stainless spoke kits and DID dirtstar rims so I will be ready to lace wheels up after my buddy finishes turning down the stock hubs and I get the new bearings installed in them. I will post some pics of progress once I get all the goodies I have ordered in.. The only items I have left that I am not real happy with are the fork caps and upper tubes(somebody used an adjustable and buggered up the finish on the caps andine fork upper tube is worn badly where someone didn't keep the wear rings replaced when needed), and the shock body is worn through the gold finish where your boot rubs pretty badly. I also still need to find a few things like radiator guards that were missing...if anybody has anything for 00-01 cr250 lying around let me know what you got..

No update from motoman on the scalvini so I am about ready to give up and will probably end up buying a pro circuit pipe...guess I still have plenty of time to decide though...lol
bigboar
11/26/2014 9:49am
updated thread with new title and figured I would just turn it into my build thread...
mxBryan
11/26/2014 11:39am
Nice shop ! Good job on the frame looks really great !
But how did you get the tight deep spots at the inside of the frame so clean ?
I'm also stripping my CR250 00 winter project, Will probably build again a RC 2001 MXoN replica but this time more detailed..

bigboar
11/26/2014 5:53pm
mxBryan wrote:
Nice shop ! Good job on the frame looks really great ! But how did you get the tight deep spots at the inside of the...
Nice shop ! Good job on the frame looks really great !
But how did you get the tight deep spots at the inside of the frame so clean ?
I'm also stripping my CR250 00 winter project, Will probably build again a RC 2001 MXoN replica but this time more detailed..

Thanks...aluma-bright cleaner cleans it right up in all those nooks...
bigboar
12/1/2014 9:26pm
Found a company called dynoport and sent an email about a cone pipe. Looks like a possibility... Should be getting back all my hardware from replating any day now and have in the mean time purchased many more goodies for the build. I bought a 15lb. Portable soda blaster and media this weekend and plan to do the engine cases, cylinder and head this week sometime so I can start the engine rebuild. Will get some pics up in the next couple days.....
rmartin517
12/2/2014 3:45pm
If all else fails I believe in 01 Honda had better results with the stock pipe. You could just strip a stock pipe they look good.

Post a reply to: 2001 Honda CR250 Rebuild Project !!

The Latest