250 2 stroker issue..

therealVB99
Edited Date/Time 6/20/2015 6:49am
Hey guys, I ride a 98 cr250r and just raced this past weekend. The bike ran great for the practice laps and then on the first moto I may or may not have stalled it on the gate. Ever since this stall, the bike has been running so bad. It bogs through all the gears from the bottom to the top. It's like there is no power band. Does the carb need cleaned? Did I fuck up the transmission? I need help!
|
Mr Bean
4/14/2015 10:21am
Isolate the problem - does it rev up in neutral with the bike on a stand?
therealVB99
4/14/2015 2:45pm
Mr Bean wrote:
Isolate the problem - does it rev up in neutral with the bike on a stand?
Yes actually that's something I forgot to point out. I didn't have it on a stand , but I was sitting on it and that's the only time it sounds Normal. In neutral.
mb
4/14/2015 4:31pm
Sounds like a fouled plug to me. Clean/replace. Make sure to gap it correctly. See what happens.
therealVB99
4/14/2015 6:00pm
mb wrote:
Sounds like a fouled plug to me. Clean/replace. Make sure to gap it correctly. See what happens.
I will do that first chance I get and get back to you. (I don't live in the same spot I keep my bike... College student)

Thank you for the advice.

The Shop

Mr Bean
4/15/2015 8:55am
Yes actually that's something I forgot to point out. I didn't have it on a stand , but I was sitting on it and that's the...
Yes actually that's something I forgot to point out. I didn't have it on a stand , but I was sitting on it and that's the only time it sounds Normal. In neutral.
Then my next step would be to put it on a stand, put it in gear and see if it will rev. Try revving in all gears and see what happens.

You asked if you messed up the tranny - well, does it shift properly through all the gears while on the stand?
Any funny noises or sensations when shifting?

This will help narrow down the conditions so you can answer your question about it being under a load or tranny issues.

The thought about a bad plug is that it doesn't make sense why it would act up in gear but not in neutral???

I don't believe there is any type of neutral position sensor on the engine so that would rule out an ignition issue being the reason why it revs properly in neutral but not in gear.
therealVB99
4/16/2015 1:55pm
Mr Bean wrote:
Then my next step would be to put it on a stand, put it in gear and see if it will rev. Try revving in all...
Then my next step would be to put it on a stand, put it in gear and see if it will rev. Try revving in all gears and see what happens.

You asked if you messed up the tranny - well, does it shift properly through all the gears while on the stand?

This will help narrow down the conditions so you can answer your question about it being under a load or tranny issues.

The thought about a bad plug is that it doesn't make sense why it would act up in gear but not in neutral???

I don't believe there is any type of neutral position sensor on the engine so that would rule out an ignition issue being the reason why it revs properly in neutral but not in gear.
Hey mr bean, so I put it on the stand and cracked the throttle in the gears and it doesn't do anything out of the ordinary. Transmission shifted fine. No noises no nothing ....
therealVB99
4/16/2015 2:00pm
Yes actually that's something I forgot to point out. I didn't have it on a stand , but I was sitting on it and that's the...
Mr Bean wrote:
Then my next step would be to put it on a stand, put it in gear and see if it will rev. Try revving in all...

This weekend I think I'm going to fully disassemble the carb and clean it out good. I have had the bike a year and have yet to do it. Also when I first got the bike it would idle on its own , but now it needs blips from the throttle to stay running.
Mr Bean
4/16/2015 2:05pm
Hey mr bean, so I put it on the stand and cracked the throttle in the gears and it doesn't do anything out of the ordinary...
Hey mr bean, so I put it on the stand and cracked the throttle in the gears and it doesn't do anything out of the ordinary. Transmission shifted fine. No noises no nothing ....
So, if I'm understanding you, it will rev up properly on the stand in gear (wheel in the air where it can spin freely) but if you try to rev it in gear while riding it, then it bogs?

Is that an accurate description?

therealVB99
4/16/2015 8:03pm
Mr Bean wrote:
So, if I'm understanding you, it will rev up properly on the stand in gear (wheel in the air where it can spin freely) but if...
So, if I'm understanding you, it will rev up properly on the stand in gear (wheel in the air where it can spin freely) but if you try to rev it in gear while riding it, then it bogs?

Is that an accurate description?

Yessir, accurate as it gets.
Mr Bean
4/16/2015 9:58pm
Well, it sounds load dependent which would lead me to think it was either a fuel supply or top end issue.

If it were mine I'd check the following for starters:

Just for giggles do the real cheap (and free) and easy stuff first like put a new plug in it (it can be a regular B_ES to keep it cheap) and see what happens. Also, remove the air filter and see if anything changes when you do that.

If those don't reveal anything, I'd then clean the carb as you mentioned. Since the engine will want more fuel under a load it might have an obstruction that is leaning it out. If you need to clean it, I recommend disassembling it and soaking it. This dissolves build-up. If it were something like a piece of trash in a jet then compressed air can blow it out, but you'll probably be doing that anyway after it's been soaked and rinsed. While you've got the carb off, check the fuel line from the tank and make sure it's flowing properly and not starving the engine for fuel. Also check the tank vent hose to be sure it's clear and not causing any type of vacuum lock.

If that doesn't fix it then I'd check the condition of the top end. I've seen bikes that would run good on flat ground but fall on their face as soon as the slightest incline was attempted. The top end was worn out and didn't have enough compression to generate any torqure, so as soon as the load was applied they just bogged.

Let us know how you make out.

therealVB99
4/17/2015 3:56pm
Mr Bean wrote:
Well, it sounds load dependent which would lead me to think it was either a fuel supply or top end issue. If it were mine I'd...
Well, it sounds load dependent which would lead me to think it was either a fuel supply or top end issue.

Just for giggles do the real cheap (and free) and easy stuff first like put a new plug in it (it can be a regular B_ES to keep it cheap) and see what happens. Also, remove the air filter and see if anything changes when you do that.

If those don't reveal anything, I'd then clean the carb as you mentioned. Since the engine will want more fuel under a load it might have an obstruction that is leaning it out. If you need to clean it, I recommend disassembling it and soaking it. This dissolves build-up. If it were something like a piece of trash in a jet then compressed air can blow it out, but you'll probably be doing that anyway after it's been soaked and rinsed. While you've got the carb off, check the fuel line from the tank and make sure it's flowing properly and not starving the engine for fuel. Also check the tank vent hose to be sure it's clear and not causing any type of vacuum lock.

If that doesn't fix it then I'd check the condition of the top end. I've seen bikes that would run good on flat ground but fall on their face as soon as the slightest incline was attempted. The top end was worn out and didn't have enough compression to generate any torqure, so as soon as the load was applied they just bogged.

Mr bean I appreciate your advice more than you know. Being a full time college student and having a full time job along with not living where I keep my bike makes all of this a little challenging. I'm gonna have the too end done next week along with a carb clean.
I'll DEFINITLY let you know when it all said and done!
therealVB99
6/17/2015 8:19am
Mr Bean wrote:
Well, it sounds load dependent which would lead me to think it was either a fuel supply or top end issue. If it were mine I'd...

mr bean it has taken me a while but I now have some updates for you guys. I sent a new piston with the cylinder to millennium technologies to be reconditioned and fit to spec. they also disassembled , cleaned , and reassembled the powervalve and did an excellent job at that. The carbeurator was cleaned and the whole bike was reassembled correctly. After a few break ins, I hit it through my neighborhood and the bike is still falling on its face. This must mean the bottom end has something wrong ? the reeds seem fine , the spark plug looked like shit so im ordering a new one of those tonight. on top of all that the carb is leaking from the float bowl down, and that's with replaced gaskets (after cleaning).
jhansen510
Fantasy
3600th
6/17/2015 9:13am
No offense but it sounds like you need to find a more competent mechanic to help you discover the problem. Then work with him to fix it and use it as a learning process. Please do not think I am attacking you or your character. I used to be the biggest hack at the track. Was not a good weekend unless something fell off my bike! But now I have learned how to do things the right way and take great joy in taking care of my bikes. Hope you find and fix the problem Bud!
downard254
6/17/2015 4:54pm
Just a shot in the dark, but how's the ignition timing. An unloaded engine car rev up, but under load retarded timing could make the bike not want to rev up. Used to be timing marks inside the mag cover for base setting if memory serves me right
6/17/2015 6:07pm
Take off the ignition side cover, then grab the stator and check for play. Lift it up and down then side to side. The crank bearings can develop slop and bugger the spark when under load.
MXtoXS
6/17/2015 6:26pm
Is the main jet clear......once I had a small, flat piece of slag get stuck in the main jet. I could see it with a light on the opposite end of the jet. It allowed the bike to idle, run lightly and rev, but would bog when on the dirt under load.

Bad ignition? I had to have a stator rewound once.

I'm not sold on much else.

What about the clutch? Broken plates? Doubtful though.
mgtkr1
6/20/2015 6:47am
sounds like a fuel starvation problem. it will rev cleanly if theres no load on the engine. under load, the motor requires more fuel as the motor is working harder. the same principal applies if the ignition is past its best.but this would give rich symptoms (as the poor spark struggles to ignite the mixture efficiently). I would remove the carb, check the jets are in place and clean everything thoroughly. chech the lead/cap is in good condition and also unplug and clean all the connectors with contact cleaner. then try again
mgtkr1
6/20/2015 6:49am
just read the comments again. set your float level correctly and check the stator is pumping out the correct voltage.

Post a reply to: 250 2 stroker issue..

The Latest