2017 ktm 250sx

Related:
Create New Tag

8/31/2016 12:55 PM

long time yz 250 owner who just made the switch to KTM, but my question is....

When i put a pipe and silencer on the yz all i did was change the main jet from a 178 to a 180...i live in Pennsylvania and run 50/50 race gas mixture

what should i do when i put a pipe on my 250 sx? i know they put the new carb on the 17 so everything i see is no help

thanks in advance!

|

9/1/2016 6:03 AM

You didn't say what brand pipe you are switching to, but have you contacted the manufacture to see what they recommend?

|

9/1/2016 6:12 AM

How do you like the 250f as compared to your 2 smoker? I'm thinking about making the switch from my yz250 to a 2017 250f bit I've never ridden anything but 2 strokes for the last 15yrs...

|

9/1/2016 7:08 AM

mx shredder wrote:

How do you like the 250f as compared to your 2 smoker? I'm thinking about making the switch from my yz250 to a 2017 250f bit I've never ridden anything but 2 strokes for the last 15yrs...

I believe he switched to the 250 2 stroke. New color, not additional strokes. Hence the reason he's talking about swapping brass lol

|

Osama Bin Mixin - Head of the 2-stroke Taliban

9/2/2016 5:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/2/2016 10:33 AM

I've got a friends new 17 250SX in my garage (doing some work on it for him) and it is an awesome looking bike. I definitely will be spinning some laps on this beauty real soon and who knows if I love it I just may switch back :-)

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

9/2/2016 8:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/2/2016 8:36 AM

Trial and error my friend. These bikes are so new, it will be a while until there's a solid base (read: a guy like Digger) for everyone to go off of.

How's the jetting now? If it's anything like my 5 previous KTM's it would be so lean, it wouldn't make it past the 20 hour mark.

I wouldn't worry about rejetting from a good stock setting unless you're installing some crazy shaped hand built pipe. I've gone from stock to FMF on both my 250s and didn't need to rejet.

|

*Anyone but Reed or Webb Crew*

9/3/2016 12:23 PM

Turn of events with the new 250SX that I've got at my house. He bought the 16 FE 450 that I had for sale and is racing it for the first time today and he just sent me this text "this bike is amazing. I felt so comfortable and super smooth on it right away and I honestly can't imagine riding anything after this bike" He's coming off of a CRF450 and I just knew he'd love it. Anyways he wants me to sell the 17 250SX and he's going to ride this bike the rest of this yr and get a new 17 FE450 when they come out next spring. The 17 250SX has 1.5 hrs on it and is absolutely showroom condition. He wants $7200 for it. If anyone is interested feel free to text me. 508 243 1232. I've got the bike and title here at my house.

|

9/3/2016 5:51 PM

Damn..don't let someone else's opinion sway you that easy..I guarantee that new 250sx you got is all the way competitive with his new 450..
Just think about it...you got a 52hp rocket that weighs 211 lbs...handles like a dream...has very good suspension and is almost unbeatable from corner to corner...come on now!

|

9/5/2016 7:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/5/2016 7:07 AM

Digger29 wrote:

Turn of events with the new 250SX that I've got at my house. He bought the 16 FE 450 that I had for sale and is racing it for the first time today and he just sent me this text "this bike is amazing. I felt so comfortable and super smooth on it right away and I honestly can't imagine riding anything after this bike" He's coming off of a CRF450 and I just knew he'd love it. Anyways he wants me to sell the 17 250SX and he's going to ride this bike the rest of this yr and get a new 17 FE450 when they come out next spring. The 17 250SX has 1.5 hrs on it and is absolutely showroom condition. He wants $7200 for it. If anyone is interested feel free to text me. 508 243 1232. I've got the bike and title here at my house.

If you love 2 strokes the 2017 250 SX KTM (and Husky TC) is the most technically updated 2 stroke on the market. Riders have spoken and KTM listened.

BTW we already have the hose kits in stock for the 2017 KTM & Husky in Orange, Blue, White and Yellow.

|

9/7/2016 5:38 AM

Digger,

You should buy it, do all the pipe test, jetting test etc!! smile

Have been wondering if they have a 300sx kit out yet for the 2017.

My 13 300 still kicking ass, love the bike.

|

9/7/2016 8:35 AM

Markee wrote:

Digger,

You should buy it, do all the pipe test, jetting test etc!! smile

Have been wondering if they have a 300sx kit out yet for the 2017.

My 13 300 still kicking ass, love the bike.

Photo
|

9/7/2016 11:58 AM

Does anyone here know the stock jetting on the '17 250sx?

|

9/7/2016 12:40 PM

slipdog wrote:

Does anyone here know the stock jetting on the '17 250sx?

Hey slip. Stock jetting is a 440 main and 42.5 pilot clip in 3rd position and air screw 1-1 1/2 out. MXA went to a 450 main and went 2-2 1/2.

|

9/7/2016 12:57 PM

slipdog wrote:

Does anyone here know the stock jetting on the '17 250sx?

braaap707 wrote:

Hey slip. Stock jetting is a 440 main and 42.5 pilot clip in 3rd position and air screw 1-1 1/2 out. MXA went to a 450 main and went 2-2 1/2.

Thanks! I thought I read the pilot was leaner, but that's the same as my TC jetting and it won't run for crap with that.

Got the JD kit last week and it is no better, just different. The JD kit has a 32.5 pilot and the needle makes it hit really hard in the mid, but it bogs in corners like a 125. Told them and they were dumbfounded and when I said I thought it was their richer straight section the guy argued with me that the needles were leaner.

I explained the first part exposed is the straight section and stock is a 2.73mm diameter and your blue is 2.64 and the red is 2.67 and I just got "Ugh...ugh... mmmm... well try the blue at..." "I already did, thanks for the $90 pilot jet that I could buy for $5 at the local shop". Bike is running best with the 32.5 pilot stock needle at #2 because #3 pings and 1.75 on the air screw. not great, but at least it pulls out of corners without a bog.

I found a needle in my box with a very fat taper like the JD, but with a 2.73 straight section also. Don't know what it is from, but I'm going to try that tomorrow and see if I can make it run otherwise the TMX is going in the garbage...

|

9/7/2016 2:31 PM

slipdog wrote:

Thanks! I thought I read the pilot was leaner, but that's the same as my TC jetting and it won't run for crap with that.

Got the JD kit last week and it is no better, just different. The JD kit has a 32.5 pilot and the needle makes it hit really hard in the mid, but it bogs in corners like a 125. Told them and they were dumbfounded and when I said I thought it was their richer straight section the guy argued with me that the needles were leaner.

I explained the first part exposed is the straight section and stock is a 2.73mm diameter and your blue is 2.64 and the red is 2.67 and I just got "Ugh...ugh... mmmm... well try the blue at..." "I already did, thanks for the $90 pilot jet that I could buy for $5 at the local shop". Bike is running best with the 32.5 pilot stock needle at #2 because #3 pings and 1.75 on the air screw. not great, but at least it pulls out of corners without a bog.

I found a needle in my box with a very fat taper like the JD, but with a 2.73 straight section also. Don't know what it is from, but I'm going to try that tomorrow and see if I can make it run otherwise the TMX is going in the garbage...

The stock 2005 Honda CR250 needles are 2.65mm diameter (6DGY26-65) and I'm running a 27.5 pilot jet in my TMX. Maybe try running a leaner pilot jet with one of the JD needles?

At what RPM range are you getting pinging?

|

9/7/2016 3:07 PM

erik_94COBRA wrote:

The stock 2005 Honda CR250 needles are 2.65mm diameter (6DGY26-65) and I'm running a 27.5 pilot jet in my TMX. Maybe try running a leaner pilot jet with one of the JD needles?

At what RPM range are you getting pinging?

I believe the pilot has to be much leaner to work with their needle, but my leftover slection of TMX jets from the '90's is limited. One 20 pilot and a few in the 40's and 50's. That's why I just got JD's new kit, but it only came with the 32.5.

I get the pinging at partial mid throttle/rpm in some of the sweepers at Hangtown when I raise the clip too far to compensate for the rich feeling at low rpm's. It's weird how it feels fat and almost blubbery down low and lean at the top at the same time.

|

9/7/2016 3:22 PM

slipdog wrote:

I believe the pilot has to be much leaner to work with their needle, but my leftover slection of TMX jets from the '90's is limited. One 20 pilot and a few in the 40's and 50's. That's why I just got JD's new kit, but it only came with the 32.5.

I get the pinging at partial mid throttle/rpm in some of the sweepers at Hangtown when I raise the clip too far to compensate for the rich feeling at low rpm's. It's weird how it feels fat and almost blubbery down low and lean at the top at the same time.

Have you inspected your reed valve and how the reeds seal (or don't) against the block? Many KTM users are reporting the reeds aren't sealing well and having lots of low RPM/part throttle blubbery-ness.

My buddy is running a 37.5 PJ in his '17 250SX with stock needle on the 2nd clip. It runs pretty good for our conditions (sea level, 90 *F). I can't get him to try a leaner pilot yet, but think it would benefit from a 35 or maybe 32.5.

|

9/7/2016 4:43 PM

erik_94COBRA wrote:

Have you inspected your reed valve and how the reeds seal (or don't) against the block? Many KTM users are reporting the reeds aren't sealing well and having lots of low RPM/part throttle blubbery-ness.

My buddy is running a 37.5 PJ in his '17 250SX with stock needle on the 2nd clip. It runs pretty good for our conditions (sea level, 90 *F). I can't get him to try a leaner pilot yet, but think it would benefit from a 35 or maybe 32.5.

I have not looked at the reeds, but it's worth a shot, thanks! I'm the same at sea level and around 90* and like I said the stock needle at #2 with the 32.5 has been the best so far.

I got the bike mainly for suspension testing, but it's annoying that it doesn't run well in stock form and worse that I went for the quick fix with JD and it still isn't good. At least I'm getting somewhere with the AER's.

|

9/7/2016 5:12 PM

slipdog wrote:

I have not looked at the reeds, but it's worth a shot, thanks! I'm the same at sea level and around 90* and like I said the stock needle at #2 with the 32.5 has been the best so far.

I got the bike mainly for suspension testing, but it's annoying that it doesn't run well in stock form and worse that I went for the quick fix with JD and it still isn't good. At least I'm getting somewhere with the AER's.

Me and RY are headed out to E street this weekend if you want to get some sand in your life, I'd love to check out the new bike as well.

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com



9/7/2016 5:40 PM

JM485 wrote:

Me and RY are headed out to E street this weekend if you want to get some sand in your life, I'd love to check out the new bike as well.

Not sure yet if I'm staying local to ride or heading south for the USGP. Was originally going down and riding somewhere before the race Sunday, but not really feeling like taking an ill running bike all the way to SoCal.

|

9/7/2016 7:14 PM

Lectron Slipdog?

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


9/8/2016 2:14 AM

I put the lectron on my 15 and I must say its probably one of the best mods ive ever done, lectron will be on every smoker I own

|

9/8/2016 5:44 AM

I will x3 that lectron. My ktm was the most sensitive bike to jet I've ever ridden and I've had probably 8 different two strokes throughout my life. The lectron makes it so easy and compared in price to other mods it's almost the same price as a two stroke exhaust combo and the difference is night and day. A lectron will be on every bike I own until they go FI.

|

9/8/2016 6:56 AM

Crush wrote:

Lectron Slipdog?

Certainly an option I've considered and I also have a PWK I could convert to fit as well which will most likley happen if it doesn't come around soon...

|

9/9/2016 6:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/9/2016 6:55 AM

erik_94COBRA wrote:

Have you inspected your reed valve and how the reeds seal (or don't) against the block? Many KTM users are reporting the reeds aren't sealing well and having lots of low RPM/part throttle blubbery-ness.

My buddy is running a 37.5 PJ in his '17 250SX with stock needle on the 2nd clip. It runs pretty good for our conditions (sea level, 90 *F). I can't get him to try a leaner pilot yet, but think it would benefit from a 35 or maybe 32.5.

How you like them apples? One of my 4 reed pedals is actually warped and twists up on the outside...


Photo

|

9/9/2016 8:08 AM

Crush wrote:

Lectron Slipdog?

slipdog wrote:

Certainly an option I've considered and I also have a PWK I could convert to fit as well which will most likley happen if it doesn't come around soon...

I wouldn't think twice about converting to a short body 38mm PWK air striker. I'd highly recommend installing a KPR Metering block while you are at it. The metering block made more power everywhere on the dyno curve and added 3-5hp at peak on my YZ carb equipped CR250.

|

9/9/2016 8:28 AM

Crush wrote:

Lectron Slipdog?

slipdog wrote:

Certainly an option I've considered and I also have a PWK I could convert to fit as well which will most likley happen if it doesn't come around soon...

CamP wrote:

I wouldn't think twice about converting to a short body 38mm PWK air striker. I'd highly recommend installing a KPR Metering block while you are at it. The metering block made more power everywhere on the dyno curve and added 3-5hp at peak on my YZ carb equipped CR250.

Hadn't heard of it but found the thread at TT, did you get yours on a dyno yet or are those his claimed #'s? I did see Varner post a pic of one last week claiming it was the hot set up, but he gave no details so I thought it was a mod he was doing to stock carbs.

|

9/9/2016 9:37 AM

slipdog wrote:

How you like them apples? One of my 4 reed pedals is actually warped and twists up on the outside...


Photo

There's a thread at KTMTalk on how people sand the reed block to get the reeds to sit flat and seal better. Seems to be real shitty quality control on that part.

|

9/9/2016 10:02 AM

erik_94COBRA wrote:

There's a thread at KTMTalk on how people sand the reed block to get the reeds to sit flat and seal better. Seems to be real shitty quality control on that part.

Block was my first thought, but it's not the block. The reed itself is twisted and if I put the other pedal in it's place it lays perfectly flat. If I flip the pedal with the outside edge twisted up then the inside edge lifts up on the other side.

At least my 3rd gear hasn't blown up yet...

|

9/9/2016 12:26 PM

slipdog wrote:

Hadn't heard of it but found the thread at TT, did you get yours on a dyno yet or are those his claimed #'s? I did see Varner post a pic of one last week claiming it was the hot set up, but he gave no details so I thought it was a mod he was doing to stock carbs.

Yes, I put it on the dyno a few weeks ago and have run 4 gallons of gas on the track. It really works great, and the top end power gains are amazing. I've never seen a simple bolt-on part perform this well.

Here's my dyno results.

Green line is stock 2014 YZ250 carb with jetting optimized for my bike. 175 main/48 pilot/CEJ needle.
Blue line is with the KPR metering block with a 188 main.
Red line is with the KPR metering block with a 185 main.

Photo

|