2016 WP A-Kit Cone Valve 48 Forks - New Design

2/8/2016 2:44pm
Jrewing wrote:
Damn... Josh. I watched how rough your old forks were on the race track as it transferred through the bars. I was marshalling. Honestly you will...
Damn...
Josh. I watched how rough your old forks were on the race track as it transferred through the bars. I was marshalling. Honestly you will feel it first corner the traction these have, more compliant ride and how much less fatigue you have the next day.
Justin will be bummed as you disappear!! Haha
I hadn't revalved those 4CS as i was waiting for these CV's, they were beating me up pretty good. Can't wait to try these new babies out on Saturday.
2/8/2016 2:45pm
313 wrote:
Im still waiting for mine.
Would be nice to hear some feedback... Smile
I'll give my opinion on saturday Smile
jwoltz
2/8/2016 7:17pm
I'll give my opinion on saturday Smile
I thought they would look good on the black frame........and I was right. Cant wait to hear the review. Did your WP dealer set them up for you, at least with a baseline to start from? I should have mine in a few weeks! Details on the review JChambers......DETAILS!!!!!
2/8/2016 8:02pm
jwoltz wrote:
I thought they would look good on the black frame........and I was right. Cant wait to hear the review. Did your WP dealer set them up...
I thought they would look good on the black frame........and I was right. Cant wait to hear the review. Did your WP dealer set them up for you, at least with a baseline to start from? I should have mine in a few weeks! Details on the review JChambers......DETAILS!!!!!
Agree with you on the black, looks even better in person.

The forks come from the WP factory all set up to you weight, ability and terrain. The dealer is just the middle man basically. I'll be getting our local suspension guru to have a look at them and revalve my shock which is still stock.

I'll provide the best detailed review to my ability Smile Very eager to see how they will perform.

The Shop

2/9/2016 5:35am
Agree with you on the black, looks even better in person. The forks come from the WP factory all set up to you weight, ability and...
Agree with you on the black, looks even better in person.

The forks come from the WP factory all set up to you weight, ability and terrain. The dealer is just the middle man basically. I'll be getting our local suspension guru to have a look at them and revalve my shock which is still stock.

I'll provide the best detailed review to my ability Smile Very eager to see how they will perform.

If I would have to choose, then I would prefer WP Trax shock and then revalve forks. I think that shock is 70% and forks are 30%. Ofcourse they have to work together and must be balanced, but shock is more important in my mind. It would be interesting to hear how you get them dialed. Hope it works for you
jwoltz
2/9/2016 9:00am
313 wrote:
If I would have to choose, then I would prefer WP Trax shock and then revalve forks. I think that shock is 70% and forks are...
If I would have to choose, then I would prefer WP Trax shock and then revalve forks. I think that shock is 70% and forks are 30%. Ofcourse they have to work together and must be balanced, but shock is more important in my mind. It would be interesting to hear how you get them dialed. Hope it works for you
Interesting.... Powerband, as well as WP in Cali Stand behind the stock shock, even the test riders of the big magazines feel the WP shock is more than adequate. The forks have been the issue for 99% of people. I respect your opinion though.

Post your suspension setup for us, as well as your reasoning.
2/9/2016 12:34pm
313 wrote:
If I would have to choose, then I would prefer WP Trax shock and then revalve forks. I think that shock is 70% and forks are...
Quite the contrary in my opinion. Shock is actually quite good for us in Australia once you have the right spring. An ill behaving fork will make the shock act poorly, and vice versa to a certain extent. The fork and shock obviously work together.
2/14/2016 2:46pm
So i got my first ride with the cone valve forks and was obviously extremely impressed Smile Going to sound like a broken record here but they are just super plush whilst having exceptional bottoming resistance. Night and day difference and cant say i have ridden with anything quite like it. Totally worth the coin if you can lash out.

A huge improvement was front end traction and feel. Can definitely push a little harder in the corners with these forks with the additional bite. Can't wait to get back out there as this has completely changed the bike for the better.

One thing i can notice now is that i am dire need of sorting out the shock. Can definitely feel the shock isn't behaving right now i have the front sorted. Our local suspension guy was there and said it needed a revalve, getting that done next week. I have the ride engineering link in the rear but i still couldn't get the rear tracking correctly coming out of corners, there was a lack of feel. Didn't want to squat and drive coming out of the corner, instead it would drive then break loose all of a sudden well after the turn. Sag is 102 with lowering link. I could go even more sag/lower but worried i might loose the awesome front end feel. I'll experiment tomorrow at the track with more sag and a softer shock setting all round.
keith101
2/14/2016 4:50pm
So i got my first ride with the cone valve forks and was obviously extremely impressed :) Going to sound like a broken record here but...
So i got my first ride with the cone valve forks and was obviously extremely impressed Smile Going to sound like a broken record here but they are just super plush whilst having exceptional bottoming resistance. Night and day difference and cant say i have ridden with anything quite like it. Totally worth the coin if you can lash out.

A huge improvement was front end traction and feel. Can definitely push a little harder in the corners with these forks with the additional bite. Can't wait to get back out there as this has completely changed the bike for the better.

One thing i can notice now is that i am dire need of sorting out the shock. Can definitely feel the shock isn't behaving right now i have the front sorted. Our local suspension guy was there and said it needed a revalve, getting that done next week. I have the ride engineering link in the rear but i still couldn't get the rear tracking correctly coming out of corners, there was a lack of feel. Didn't want to squat and drive coming out of the corner, instead it would drive then break loose all of a sudden well after the turn. Sag is 102 with lowering link. I could go even more sag/lower but worried i might loose the awesome front end feel. I'll experiment tomorrow at the track with more sag and a softer shock setting all round.
Suspension can be tuned to work really bad or really good. Doesn't matter if it's A-Kit, Cone-Valve, etc, etc.
I've witnessed really expensive suspension tuned by a top tuner, product horrendous results for example.

jwoltz
2/14/2016 6:46pm
Good to hear J, I figured it would be a bit out of balance, As there is no way the stock shock would be able to comply with the new forks IMO. I bet with new valving you will be able to get it dialed! im gonna send my shock off as soon as I get word on my c.v. Delivery date. Keep the updates coming!
2/14/2016 6:57pm
jwoltz wrote:
Good to hear J, I figured it would be a bit out of balance, As there is no way the stock shock would be able to...
Good to hear J, I figured it would be a bit out of balance, As there is no way the stock shock would be able to comply with the new forks IMO. I bet with new valving you will be able to get it dialed! im gonna send my shock off as soon as I get word on my c.v. Delivery date. Keep the updates coming!
I knew the shock would need to be sorted out but we decided to ride it first as is and then go from there. You're going to love the forks! whole new bike.
2/14/2016 6:59pm
keith101 wrote:
Suspension can be tuned to work really bad or really good. Doesn't matter if it's A-Kit, Cone-Valve, etc, etc. I've witnessed really expensive suspension tuned by...
Suspension can be tuned to work really bad or really good. Doesn't matter if it's A-Kit, Cone-Valve, etc, etc.
I've witnessed really expensive suspension tuned by a top tuner, product horrendous results for example.

100%.

These CV's seem pretty darn good straight from WP.
davbrucas
2/14/2016 9:47pm
100%.

For what they cost, they better be!
jwoltz
2/26/2016 12:47pm
keith101 wrote:
Suspension can be tuned to work really bad or really good. Doesn't matter if it's A-Kit, Cone-Valve, etc, etc. I've witnessed really expensive suspension tuned by...

100%.

Jchambers, My forks will be here next week!!!!! Very excited to say the least. Will poste thoughts as well when possible. I have my shock pretty well sorted, but will likely send it for a revalve regardless
2/28/2016 3:47pm
jwoltz wrote:
Jchambers, My forks will be here next week!!!!! Very excited to say the least. Will poste thoughts as well when possible. I have my shock pretty...
Jchambers, My forks will be here next week!!!!! Very excited to say the least. Will poste thoughts as well when possible. I have my shock pretty well sorted, but will likely send it for a revalve regardless
You're in for a treat!

I had a solid weekend running my setup with a revalved shock and boy what a difference. Don't be afraid to turn the clickers on these CV's. I got them running better by stiffening them a click and 2 out on the rebound, obviously all depends how they come valved but definitely worth trying the clickers. Grinning ear to ear Smile
jwoltz
3/11/2016 12:40pm
Well, I was able to ride on my new forks, and as mentioned by JChambers48, they are really really good. I got mine from Powerband Racing, and they took several months to come in, as there is a huge demand for WP these days.

Anyhow, here is my report after 3-20 minute moto's on an intermediate to hard pack track with descent ruts and braking bumps coming into corners.

Moto 1 --Really impressed. They came setup for me and my riding ability, I was honest with them, so they were really really close out of the box. (Things I noticed off the bat)
1. there is no stiction at all. Just riding on uneven ground is much much smoother. Sounds dumb, but it is noticeable.
2. Cornering is much crisper and the front wheel just tracks and goes where you put it. The bike turned good before, now it is precise as hell. Not twitchy, just handles the turns without effort or chatter.
3. Jumping off faces felt the same really, but landing was much more smooth, no jarring or excessive feedback. I did bottom them, but it was because I tried too. Overshot a step up pretty good, and it was butter, but bottomed.

Moto 2 -- added two clicks of compression because they were a little soft, I mean just a little. This was a noticable difference. It held the forks a little higher in the stroke, did not bottom them this time at all, but came close. Smile right where I want them.......Tried several times on the same jump. It cornered even better, and tracked through the ruts much much smoother.

Moto 3 -- I really started to push the bike to see what I could get away with. The forks just performed beyond my belief. My buddy who was watching me said that it was easy to see there was much less effort on my part going into the bike, as it was soaking up the chop like a beast. All I have ever rode were stock wp forks, so there could be better out there, but these just hit the spot for me and allowed me to go faster as a result, and for a lot longer.

For my rear shock, I will be sending it into Powerband for a revalve after Freestone as its almost due for service. I added 2 clicks of compression to where I had it with the stock forks (MXA settings), and honestly it was really good. I have a deep love for my rear shock, and am sure with fresh valving for my weight, I will be able to really get after it.

Hope this helps. Side note, they are amazingly good looking too.

3/11/2016 1:44pm
Good to hear Justin! I completely agree with everything you just said. Try speeding up the rebound, mine responded really well to that. Different setups but give it a whirl.

Post a reply to: 2016 WP A-Kit Cone Valve 48 Forks - New Design

The Latest