2015 trax on 2016 KTM!?

mx317
12/4/2016 8:10am
The above post of mine was a copy and paste from another thread. I'm not saying it's correct or not, but the guy that posted is well respected in Austria.
CLT809
Fantasy
9th
1/6/2017 9:58pm
Sorry to drag up a slightly old thread, but I bought a set off of a 2013 model yesterday and the eye to eye length of the shock is 480 mm. I'm inclined to think 3 millimeters is close enough to give it a try. The previous owner ran it on his 2013 for two years and tried it on his 2015 and noticed it made the 15 a low rider (apparently they lengthened the shock to accommodate the 15 linkage change.) I'll post again once I get it set up and ride it.
bowser
1/7/2017 12:24am
When was the last time the trax springs were changed? 20-30hrs they need replacing as they break easy. Both my Trax shocks had 3 out of 5 springs broken
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
1/7/2017 4:43am
bowser wrote:
When was the last time the trax springs were changed? 20-30hrs they need replacing as they break easy. Both my Trax shocks had 3 out of...
When was the last time the trax springs were changed? 20-30hrs they need replacing as they break easy. Both my Trax shocks had 3 out of 5 springs broken
The new Trax shock has the same spring as you would use on the OEM 16+ WP rear shock. Not sure if the older models had a special spring that was needed?

The Shop

CLT809
Fantasy
9th
1/7/2017 8:12am
bowser wrote:
When was the last time the trax springs were changed? 20-30hrs they need replacing as they break easy. Both my Trax shocks had 3 out of...
The new Trax shock has the same spring as you would use on the OEM 16+ WP rear shock. Not sure if the older models had...
The new Trax shock has the same spring as you would use on the OEM 16+ WP rear shock. Not sure if the older models had a special spring that was needed?
Weird, hadn't heard of spring issues on a ktm since the old link-less progressive wound springs, but that's good to know. The 2013 trax rear shock spring I have is 260mm long.

The hours on the spring won't really be an issue as the spring is going to be replaced anyway, I assume, since I outweigh the previous owner by a considerable amount.

I'm dying to get it set up, it will be sent off to Fastlap Suspension (the guy who has been doing Heath Harrison's suspension) in Alabama soon.
bowser
1/7/2017 2:40pm
not talking about the main spring, was talking about the 5 or 6 (depending on what model shock) trax springs. the little springs above the rebound adjuster under the rubber cover that push the rebound rod down when the wheel comes off the ground and the function that makes the trax shock so special. These need replacing every 20-30hrs and the whole shock needs to be stripped to access them.

both my trax shocks were like this with broken springs

springs and bring are replaced

CLT809
Fantasy
9th
1/7/2017 5:32pm
bowser wrote:
not talking about the main spring, was talking about the 5 or 6 (depending on what model shock) trax springs. the little springs above the rebound...
not talking about the main spring, was talking about the 5 or 6 (depending on what model shock) trax springs. the little springs above the rebound adjuster under the rubber cover that push the rebound rod down when the wheel comes off the ground and the function that makes the trax shock so special. These need replacing every 20-30hrs and the whole shock needs to be stripped to access them.

both my trax shocks were like this with broken springs

springs and bring are replaced

Whoa, I never knew how the trax worked. That's fascinating. This shock is set up for supercross and currently doesn't have the trax feature enabled to keep the rear wheel from dropping in the whoops, but I plan on using the trax feature as it'll be set up for outdoors. I appreciate the heads up though.
Motofinne
4/13/2017 12:48am Edited Date/Time 4/13/2017 2:19am
I found a 2011-2015 Trax shock for 399€(i might get it even cheaper). I would love to try to make it work with my 2017 since i can't afford an Öhlins flow shock or a 2016-2017 Trax shock at the moment.

399€.. damn it's so tempting.
7/5/2017 8:58am
Nice thread! Thanks for all the info! I pulled the trigger on a 2013 trax shock and will try to install it on my 17 Husky.
As read, it should be "only" 3 mm difference in eye to eye length, but anyone know about the stroke length differences?
bowser
7/5/2017 2:02pm
artishouk wrote:
Nice thread! Thanks for all the info! I pulled the trigger on a 2013 trax shock and will try to install it on my 17 Husky...
Nice thread! Thanks for all the info! I pulled the trigger on a 2013 trax shock and will try to install it on my 17 Husky.
As read, it should be "only" 3 mm difference in eye to eye length, but anyone know about the stroke length differences?
They are the same stroke length. Hence you can't add an internal spacer to get the eye to eye length the same without sacrificing stroke. You need a new lower mount.

I tried a stock shock on the weekend which worked better than my trax and doesn't have the high maintenance requirements of the trax.

I would encourage you to strip the 13 model and replace the little trax springs. Let me know how many were broken
7/5/2017 2:36pm
thanks bowser!
The shock is on it´s way. Should arrive at my door in a couple of weeks. As son as I get I will measure E2E and stroke, Then strip it and inspect/service it, and even revalve it. Will be doing the job with a local suspensión tuner...
Do you know where to get the replacement trax springs? I also read on KTMTalk about some teflon tape and oring that might be needed to change...
bowser
7/5/2017 2:52pm
not sure in the USA, maybe Dean Burke? I would suggest Karl Anderson at KAS would have them but he is in the UK. He is very knowledgeable on them.

The nut that holds the little springs in can be a prick to get out. One of my trax shocks was seized and I had to butcher it to get it out. are you planning on using it for endure or MX?

7/6/2017 12:01pm
I found on eBay some springs, they seem to be 27 nm. Maybe get an alternative one? Have you made some progress on replacing the trax mechanism? Its really unpractical to make a full stripdown every 20 hours for the trax springs...

I try to ride 2 times a week, mostly mx, but I race enduro mainly, so my suspensión is set to be in between (closing compression for mx and opening for enduro).

CLT809
Fantasy
9th
9/22/2017 8:25pm
Sorry for the delay, I was sidetracked with other projects, but alas I have photos of a 2011-2014 trax shock on a 2016 FC250. Note that I didn't say 2015 shock. The production 15 shock was a good bit longer than both its predecessor and successor. The only reason I'm aware of this is when the previous owner of my trax shock tried putting it on his 2015, it became a lowrider.

In the second picture, I shoved my finger between the reservoir and the exhaust to show the clearance.

I should have a ride report Sunday afternoon.

Hope this helps!
9/25/2017 9:07am
Great! I should also be ready this week with a 2013 trax on a 2017 Husky FX 350. I´ll let you know how it goes.
CLT809
Fantasy
9th
9/26/2017 4:56pm
Update: rode Sunday and today, no clearance issues with frame/subframe/linkage. As for performance, it was the bee's knees provided you are riding hard, which is the common theme I've noticed among A kit setups. I still want to play with the preload on the forks once I track down a 35mm wrench but overall am very happy. My total investment in this was less than most places charge for 4cs fixes and a shock revalve. Many thanks to Steve at Fastlap Suspension for taking the time to set this up for me, and my buddy Ozzy for the smokin' deal on the suspension.

Post a reply to: 2015 trax on 2016 KTM!?

The Latest