2014 KTM 250 SX Jetting Higher Elevations

Jackace
Edited Date/Time 5/14/2015 6:39am
Just bought a used 2014 KTM 250 SX with very little hours on it. It still has the original tires on it and they have only a little wear on them. It has a Pro Circuit Pipe with a Type 296 silencer/SA on it.

I took the bike out this past weekend to ride and it seemed to be pretty rich in the low and mid range and felt a little lean on top. I ran okay with it for about 2 hours, but then took a break to eat and drink. The bike cooled down and when I went to start it back up it fouled the plug. I put a new plug in and it started right up like before, but I wanted to test it and see what the plug looked like after a quick 10-15 minute run. The plug was wet coated in gas/oil.

I have done a lot of reading on this forum, thumpertalk and ktmforums and this bike appears to have some issues with the stock jetting. Those issues appear to be very similar to the ones I experienced. I haven't had time to dig into the jetting just yet so I'm not sure where I'm starting with as far as jets and needles, but I was told it was stock. I plan to confirm that later this week when I get the time to take the carb apart.

My question for those of you that have the jetting for these bikes figured out is how would you alter the jetting for elevations of 3000-6000 feet?

I hear a lot of good things about the NECJ needle, 40 PJ and 160+ MJ, but most of the people talking about that setup are at or near sea level. I have talked with a few guys here locally and they seem to think a 160-165 MJ, 38-40 PJ and NEDK needle is a good setup. Seems pretty close to what you guys have suggested. I bought a few jets to play with on the MJ and PJ, but the needle is the one thing I don't know about. How does the NEDK compare to the NECJ for my elevations? Is there a different needle I should consider?

Thank you for any help or insight you can provide.
|
kylant
5/5/2015 7:57am
Jackace wrote:
Just bought a used 2014 KTM 250 SX with very little hours on it. It still has the original tires on it and they have only...
Just bought a used 2014 KTM 250 SX with very little hours on it. It still has the original tires on it and they have only a little wear on them. It has a Pro Circuit Pipe with a Type 296 silencer/SA on it.

I took the bike out this past weekend to ride and it seemed to be pretty rich in the low and mid range and felt a little lean on top. I ran okay with it for about 2 hours, but then took a break to eat and drink. The bike cooled down and when I went to start it back up it fouled the plug. I put a new plug in and it started right up like before, but I wanted to test it and see what the plug looked like after a quick 10-15 minute run. The plug was wet coated in gas/oil.

I have done a lot of reading on this forum, thumpertalk and ktmforums and this bike appears to have some issues with the stock jetting. Those issues appear to be very similar to the ones I experienced. I haven't had time to dig into the jetting just yet so I'm not sure where I'm starting with as far as jets and needles, but I was told it was stock. I plan to confirm that later this week when I get the time to take the carb apart.

My question for those of you that have the jetting for these bikes figured out is how would you alter the jetting for elevations of 3000-6000 feet?

I hear a lot of good things about the NECJ needle, 40 PJ and 160+ MJ, but most of the people talking about that setup are at or near sea level. I have talked with a few guys here locally and they seem to think a 160-165 MJ, 38-40 PJ and NEDK needle is a good setup. Seems pretty close to what you guys have suggested. I bought a few jets to play with on the MJ and PJ, but the needle is the one thing I don't know about. How does the NEDK compare to the NECJ for my elevations? Is there a different needle I should consider?

Thank you for any help or insight you can provide.
i have the same bike and typically ride 4500-6000ft. i have a FMF Fatty pipe and turbine core 2 silencer/SA. I currently have the bike jetted as follows: 40p, NECJ needle, clip 3rd, 158 main, AS 2 turns out. Bike seems to run really good, clear and crisp everywhere. I think it is a little fat on the low end. I ride a lot of slow technical rocky stuff. 1st and 2nd gear stuff and there is a stream of splooge running down the silencer at the end of the ride. I have been debating dropping to a 38p. I have posted in other threads about this and have not seen an answer, hopefully others will chime in here
kylant
5/5/2015 8:00am
here is Suzuki needle chart

Jackace
5/5/2015 8:41am
kylant wrote:
here is Suzuki needle chart [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/05/05/90037/s1200_needle_chart.jpg[/img]
here is Suzuki needle chart

Aw so the NEDK is slightly leaner than the NECJ. That might explain why people around here like that needle.
Jackace
5/10/2015 1:39am
Okay I got my carb pulled apart today and found my bike had a 158 MJ, 40 PJ, and N1EI needle in position 2. I put in a 162 main jet and left the 40 PJ. I have a NECJ needle on it's way that I plan to use in the 4th position. If that is too rich I will go to position 3. I also have a 38 PJ if I needed, but I think the needle change is going to be the biggest change I need to stop fouling plugs. I might need a bigger MJ once I start really pushing this thing harder so I have a 165, 170 and 175 ready if needed as well.

The Shop

kylant
5/10/2015 6:40am
what’s the elevation in boise? i’m guessing your bike and my bike are/will still be rich on the bottom. lots of guys are running a 40p and NECJ needle at sea level.
my rides typically start at 4500ft and go up to 6500.
Jackace
5/10/2015 1:57pm
kylant wrote:
what’s the elevation in boise? i’m guessing your bike and my bike are/will still be rich on the bottom. lots of guys are running a 40p...
what’s the elevation in boise? i’m guessing your bike and my bike are/will still be rich on the bottom. lots of guys are running a 40p and NECJ needle at sea level.
my rides typically start at 4500ft and go up to 6500.
Boise is only ~2500 feet above sea level, but many of the places I ride are 4k+. Even out in the desert south of town it's 3k.
kylant
5/12/2015 7:47am
got to the local mini track yesterday. 6300 ft, 55* out. running same jetting. still seems a bit fat, slooge down the silencer. gonna do some more work. going to start by dropping the pilot to a 38, then maybe raise the clip one.
Jackace
5/12/2015 11:13pm
kylant wrote:
got to the local mini track yesterday. 6300 ft, 55* out. running same jetting. still seems a bit fat, slooge down the silencer. gonna do some...
got to the local mini track yesterday. 6300 ft, 55* out. running same jetting. still seems a bit fat, slooge down the silencer. gonna do some more work. going to start by dropping the pilot to a 38, then maybe raise the clip one.
You could try moving to clip position 2 if that doesn't work maybe an NECK needle is needed. It should be 1 size leaner in the straight section of the needle which impacts ~1/4 throttle, but everything else is the same as the NECJ. That is at least what I am finding with my research.
Jackace
5/13/2015 11:07pm
With some help from digger I got my jetting changed and tested today. WOW what a change!!! It's a completely different bike now. It hits hard on the bottom and pulls much longer. I didn't have enough time to let the bike cool down and check for fouled plugs, but I did check the plug and it was no longer wet with oil/gas and was a solid chocolate brown color.

The jetting digger suggested to me for 3k ft above sea level was 162 mj, 40 pj, NECJ needle in 3rd position, and AS 1.5 turns out. It felt very good and the only thing I might need to change is a bigger mj. It still felt a little lean on top. The temps today were only 65-70 degrees so once as it gets hotter that 162 might be fine.
kylant
5/14/2015 6:39am
Jackace wrote:
With some help from digger I got my jetting changed and tested today. WOW what a change!!! It's a completely different bike now. It hits hard...
With some help from digger I got my jetting changed and tested today. WOW what a change!!! It's a completely different bike now. It hits hard on the bottom and pulls much longer. I didn't have enough time to let the bike cool down and check for fouled plugs, but I did check the plug and it was no longer wet with oil/gas and was a solid chocolate brown color.

The jetting digger suggested to me for 3k ft above sea level was 162 mj, 40 pj, NECJ needle in 3rd position, and AS 1.5 turns out. It felt very good and the only thing I might need to change is a bigger mj. It still felt a little lean on top. The temps today were only 65-70 degrees so once as it gets hotter that 162 might be fine.
my jetting is the same, but i run a 158 main. bike falls flat up top, but i think that is from the 36 carb. i think i am going to pull the trigger and get the 38

Post a reply to: 2014 KTM 250 SX Jetting Higher Elevations

The Latest