2013 Honda CRF450R -How to remove ECU?

kaptkaos
1/5/2016 4:22pm Edited Date/Time 1/7/2016 6:46am
Can somebody please provide step by step instructions for how to remove the ECU from the bike? This is my first MX in 30 years and also my first FI bike. I want to send it off to get remapped and I need to get it out without breaking it or anything else with minimal fuss. I might also add that I just had my left hand operated on, so I am working only with one hand....which makes it very critical that I have solid step by step help.

I did search but no joy.

Thanks
|
NeedMoto
1/5/2016 4:47pm
No bueno with one hand.

You need to be able to squeeze the side, then pull apart at the same time.

Get helpSad
kaptkaos
1/5/2016 5:29pm
Can you give me the details how to get to that point? I guess I will get some help for the steps I cant do on my own. I am hoping the whole subframe doesnt have to come off to do this.

Thanks.
NeedMoto
1/5/2016 6:02pm
Grabbed this from TT thread.

They moved it to the lower left frame spar for 2014, same as the 13, sorta near the shock and airbox boot. You need to undo the plastic hose clip bracket on the hose that comes out of the rear of the airboot. It's clipped into a metal bracket near the shock spring and ECU, this will give you more room for your hands and to get the ECU out when disconnected. Then you need to work the ECU black rubber "holder" off the 2 mounting prongs it's attached to. Then the hard part: hence...you need two hands. You need to get your left hand in there to squeeze the connector (inside the clear plastic protector, squezze up high, near where the wires enter into the clear connector) to raise the rocking locking latch so you can gently wiggle the ECU from the connector. Once you do it once it'll take one-third the time if you ever have to do it again.

I'm sure others will chime in, good luck!
mxb2
1/5/2016 7:39pm
NeedMoto wrote:
Grabbed this from TT thread. They moved it to the lower left frame spar for 2014, same as the 13, sorta near the shock and airbox...
Grabbed this from TT thread.

They moved it to the lower left frame spar for 2014, same as the 13, sorta near the shock and airbox boot. You need to undo the plastic hose clip bracket on the hose that comes out of the rear of the airboot. It's clipped into a metal bracket near the shock spring and ECU, this will give you more room for your hands and to get the ECU out when disconnected. Then you need to work the ECU black rubber "holder" off the 2 mounting prongs it's attached to. Then the hard part: hence...you need two hands. You need to get your left hand in there to squeeze the connector (inside the clear plastic protector, squezze up high, near where the wires enter into the clear connector) to raise the rocking locking latch so you can gently wiggle the ECU from the connector. Once you do it once it'll take one-third the time if you ever have to do it again.

I'm sure others will chime in, good luck!
Any diagram from oem parts?, motosport used to have part # and pics, prices of oem ecu.

The Shop

kaptkaos
1/6/2016 11:46am
So just to confirm, this can be done without removing the subframe, airbox/boot or exhaust? I have removed the seat and side panels and I see the ECU and its a tight squeeze in there...
mxb2
1/6/2016 12:02pm
kaptkaos wrote:
So just to confirm, this can be done without removing the subframe, airbox/boot or exhaust? I have removed the seat and side panels and I see...
So just to confirm, this can be done without removing the subframe, airbox/boot or exhaust? I have removed the seat and side panels and I see the ECU and its a tight squeeze in there...
Go to you tube, type in vortex ignition, jay clark has a video, on ecu, installation/removal. Fyi.
kaptkaos
1/6/2016 12:35pm
Man I searched....no luck.
mxb2
1/6/2016 1:52pm
kaptkaos wrote:
I watched it last nite, unless it was removed.
mxb2
1/6/2016 1:55pm
kaptkaos wrote:
Racer x tested. Tokyo mods, on you tube. , its still on there.
kaptkaos
1/7/2016 6:46am
Thanks for the replies guys, last night I was able to get it removed with the help of a friend. I will say its definitely a 3 hand operation the first time. I wonder if anyone makes a longer pigtail or relocation kit to put this thing up under the tank?

Post a reply to: 2013 Honda CRF450R -How to remove ECU?

The Latest