2011 ktm 250sxf performance problems

Hunter Maley
3/10/2014 8:02pm Edited Date/Time 3/30/2016 3:30am
My 2011 KTM 250sxf performance has gone down hill. I'm losing half the power it has, I'm going into 3rd gear in corners and when I come out it has no power. It Boggs into 4th and even then it takes for ever for the power to hit, and when it does it's already asking to be shifted into another gear. It has no throttle response like a fuel injected bike should. It's really hard to kick. It's idle is off a bit also. I recently got a new top end done on it. Also we cleaned the fuel injector and still nothing has changed.
|
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
3/10/2014 11:18pm
There could be many problems which caused this.

-When was the last time you rode the bike when I had, "full power"?
-Could it be bad gas?
-Did you change that mini cone gas filter screen? It's between the fuel line and the EFI.
-Airfilter clean?
-Airbox clean?
-Spark plug?
-Spark plug cap connected well?

I'm not sure if that bike has a filter at the bottom of the gas tank or fuel pump?
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
3/11/2014 8:13am
Valves? Piston issue?
That is true. You may be losing power because the valves are out of spec. I would just go through that checklist until the problem is gone.
Hunter Maley
3/11/2014 10:58am
There could be many problems which caused this. -When was the last time you rode the bike when I had, "full power"? -Could it be bad...
There could be many problems which caused this.

-When was the last time you rode the bike when I had, "full power"?
-Could it be bad gas?
-Did you change that mini cone gas filter screen? It's between the fuel line and the EFI.
-Airfilter clean?
-Airbox clean?
-Spark plug?
-Spark plug cap connected well?

I'm not sure if that bike has a filter at the bottom of the gas tank or fuel pump?
It's been lacking power for long time now that I think about it. The reason for the new top on it was because the valves were mest up, which led to throwing the timing chain off and messing up the piston. I was thinking It has something to do with fuel since the new fuel Is crap. It has a fuel pump and I heard to replace it on another site. We did clean the mini cone. It may be time to get a new spark plug but to be honest I don't think nothing is wrong with it. We took it out and it's just a little worn out.

The Shop

RiV
3/11/2014 12:16pm
I would try a fuel pressure test, on bikes with a separate fuse/power supply
an amp draw test can work almost as well (but must know reference draw
of known good bike). I am not familiar with the fuel injected KTM's but we
often run into internal fuel filters being clogged, leaking internal o-rings or
hoses as well as a bad fuel pump on occasion with other brands of bikes.
Jboot849
3/11/2016 10:38am
was this problem ever resolved?
Jboot849
3/11/2016 10:39am
im having the same exact problem fresh rebuild and has no top end power and will hardly keep itself running.
Paw Paw 271
3/11/2016 3:03pm
Check the fuel pump pick up filter and the fuel pump. Low flow due to this filter being dirty will fry the fuel pump in short order as it over heats.
Also check valve clearances and replace the cam chain if it has some time on it.

Paw Paw
Jboot849
3/29/2016 3:11pm
Check the fuel pump pick up filter and the fuel pump. Low flow due to this filter being dirty will fry the fuel pump in short...
Check the fuel pump pick up filter and the fuel pump. Low flow due to this filter being dirty will fry the fuel pump in short order as it over heats.
Also check valve clearances and replace the cam chain if it has some time on it.

Paw Paw
i had valve clearences set, i swapped the inline filter, new spark plug, had fuel pump pressure tested and it was fine and i even swapped the gas tank with my 15 450sxf and had the same problems with the new tank. i cant think of what else it could be.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
3/29/2016 5:16pm
Have you done a leak down test on the motor to see what the compression is like?
tmauto769
Fantasy
1265th
3/30/2016 3:30am
buddy of mine has a '14 350, and had similar issues, turns out after testing many things, one of the valve spring retainers was cracked. Or so says the shop he brought it to.
7/8/2019 10:57am
Check the fuel pump pick up filter and the fuel pump. Low flow due to this filter being dirty will fry the fuel pump in short...

Paw Paw
Jboot849 wrote:
i had valve clearences set, i swapped the inline filter, new spark plug, had fuel pump pressure tested and it was fine and i even swapped...
i had valve clearences set, i swapped the inline filter, new spark plug, had fuel pump pressure tested and it was fine and i even swapped the gas tank with my 15 450sxf and had the same problems with the new tank. i cant think of what else it could be.
Hi i have exactly the same problem, my motorcycle seems
like a 2T with carburator problems, how did you solve the problem? Was the tank filter? Inyector?
Thanks in advance.

Post a reply to: 2011 ktm 250sxf performance problems

The Latest