2011 Crf250r build

dereka15
8/16/2016 2:21pm Edited Date/Time 11/1/2016 7:00pm
Been following several builds on here for the last year or so and ive been completely blown away by the dedication and craftsmanship put into everyones builds. So i wanted to throw mine in the mix. I purchased this blown up turd of a bike 4 months ago and have been working to build something i could be really proud of.
|
dereka15
8/16/2016 3:20pm Edited Date/Time 8/16/2016 3:38pm

So this is what i started with, motor was completely seized previous owner had no idea why, so i started by pulling the entire bike down and quickly ripped into the motor and to my horror found this

Looks like a valve failed and made a complete mess of the motor, i wound up trashing the cyclinder, crank, and head. I then got to cleaning/anodizing anything that needed it.

I used Lye to strip the swingarm, followed up by eagle one and lots of scrubbing

Before and after of the cases

Side cases, fork tubes, Merge knuckle and lots of other misc parts got anodized

Got a Kashima body on ebay for $100

Hubs were cerakoted by OC custom coatings, they do all of AHM and Dubyas parts

Fork and Shock shaft were DLC coated, check valve and works PC piston in the shock valving from Schmidt Performance

Motor got a Vertex HC piston, Stage 2 Hotcam and Moto Tassanari airboot

Graphics by Max Friese at 719 Designs

Brembo master cylinder

Used the 2016 clutch cable/mount/actuator for smoother pull

Merge Racing Nuckle

And after 4 months of hardwork thats the final result. Lots of cool little details i couldnt capture in a couple pics but im really ecstatic with how it turned out. Its satisfying to say i worked every piece of the bike, from motor/suspension valving to cleaning every nut&bolt, frame, building wheels etc.
8/17/2016 8:41pm
Hey man mint build, just a few questions. How did you clean your cases so well? And how did you prep your side covers for anodising?
mxb2
8/17/2016 8:52pm
Nice build man.
dereka15
8/17/2016 9:44pm
Spuder155 wrote:
Hey man mint build, just a few questions. How did you clean your cases so well? And how did you prep your side covers for anodising?
Thanks man, the cases I used 320 to smooth them out followed by maroon scotch brite and brillo pads, they were really dirty and a major pita, probably spent 2hrs per side, will definitely vapor blast them next time. For the side covers I started by stripping the ignition cover with aircraft paint striper, then had it bead blasted along with the primary and water pump cover. They were all hard anodized, water pump and ignition/oil filter cover are dark gray at .002, and the primary is "clear" at .0005.

The Shop

dereka15
8/17/2016 11:08pm
Great work! Super clean! How does it ride?
Thanks! Haven't been able to throw a leg over it yet haha hoping to get out some time this weekend and see how she goes!
Turbojez
8/18/2016 12:18am
Good job, the bike looks awesome.
I never thought you can order just the shim stack from suspension companies?
8/18/2016 3:31am
Spuder155 wrote:
dereka15 wrote:
Thanks man, the cases I used 320 to smooth them out followed by maroon scotch brite and brillo pads, they were really dirty and a major...
Thanks man, the cases I used 320 to smooth them out followed by maroon scotch brite and brillo pads, they were really dirty and a major pita, probably spent 2hrs per side, will definitely vapor blast them next time. For the side covers I started by stripping the ignition cover with aircraft paint striper, then had it bead blasted along with the primary and water pump cover. They were all hard anodized, water pump and ignition/oil filter cover are dark gray at .002, and the primary is "clear" at .0005.
Sounds good, might have to give it a go. Nice job Woohoo
dereka15
8/18/2016 7:40am
Turbojez wrote:
Good job, the bike looks awesome.
I never thought you can order just the shim stack from suspension companies?
Thanks man, I actually used work for Schmidt, but we do sell valving to diy guys and people in other states/countries on occasion.
jrrundle
8/22/2016 10:07pm
Bike looks amazing, loving the all red look.
3rdgearpinned
8/23/2016 6:35am
dereka15 wrote:
Thanks man, I actually used work for Schmidt, but we do sell valving to diy guys and people in other states/countries on occasion.
With being in the middle of a Cr125 build, I will have to say this is outstanding. The attention to detail is incredible and I know first hand how long it takes to concentrate on a certain part. I sanded and scotch brited my swing arm for about 4 hours on one saturday and it looks no where the shape of yours. I may have to go back to the drawing board. I think my lack of patience makes me say to myself, "thats looks good enough" and stick it back on just to be done with that part. If you dont mine me asking, what can I expect to pay for a 2010-2011 CRF thats locked up these days? It may be my next project. Nice work!
dereka15
8/23/2016 7:20am
dereka15 wrote:
With being in the middle of a Cr125 build, I will have to say this is outstanding. The attention to detail is incredible and I know...
With being in the middle of a Cr125 build, I will have to say this is outstanding. The attention to detail is incredible and I know first hand how long it takes to concentrate on a certain part. I sanded and scotch brited my swing arm for about 4 hours on one saturday and it looks no where the shape of yours. I may have to go back to the drawing board. I think my lack of patience makes me say to myself, "thats looks good enough" and stick it back on just to be done with that part. If you dont mine me asking, what can I expect to pay for a 2010-2011 CRF thats locked up these days? It may be my next project. Nice work!
Thanks man, for the swingarm the easiest way to remove the anodizing so it can be polished is to soak it in lye, it's pretty nasty stuff but it works great, and only takes maybe 15 mins, then just use an aluminium brightener to remove the black smut and then just polish as you normally would. You could also take it to an anodizing shop and have them strip it for you. As far as the price for a locked up bike I honestly don't know, that was my dillema, I wound up paying $1700 which looking back was probably a little high, but it did have the full Yoshi, Hinson BTL clutch, Vortex ignition and Merge racing knuckle already installed retail on those parts alone is almost $3500, so I figured they were worth what I payed. All in i have about 6k in this bike, which is more then it's worth but I don't really plan on selling it, that's still way cheaper then new and it wouldn't be as cool haha.
Spydee
8/23/2016 8:03am
Very nice!
mingham97
8/24/2016 6:28am
Good job mate. There are plenty of 2 stroke builds but never and older 4 stroke build. I was thinking to myself "I'm pretty sure I'll be the only one to want to put 3k into a 250f" but nah. Great minds think alike
ML512
Fantasy
36th
11/1/2016 6:57pm
Moving to the build section...
12/1/2016 9:26am
When you end up throwing a leg over it let me know if the "a-kit" coating make a difference or just make a trick look. Sweet build, i had a 2012 crf250r and loved it until there was rattle coming from who knows where, and the engine needed a new top end. its an awesome bike if you keep up good maintenance.
ed921reyes
12/1/2016 11:44am Edited Date/Time 12/1/2016 11:52am
dammmmmmmmmm!!! this bike is awesome. i had a 11 crf250 best bike ive ever owned!!! wish i never sold it.

how much you into it?
RussB
Fantasy
866th
12/2/2016 12:21am
Wow, really nice job!
Your build definitely deserves a bigger/more detailed thread. It looks like you've put a lot of hours into that bike!

Out of all the builds I've seen I think yours in one of the best in terms of the overall finish and look of the metal work on the bike. The finish on the frame, swingarm and cases look perfect without being 'over polished'. Gives the bike a super clean look.

Did you do any work to the header pipe? I bet that will blue up nicely after a few rides.

I'm rebuilding my 15 RMZ450 at the moment, if I can get my aluminum to look half as good as yours I will be happy!
12/2/2016 3:48am
How do you like the brembo master cylinder? Is it worth the investment? Did you swap the calipers aswell?
dereka15
12/2/2016 4:45am
When you end up throwing a leg over it let me know if the "a-kit" coating make a difference or just make a trick look. Sweet...
When you end up throwing a leg over it let me know if the "a-kit" coating make a difference or just make a trick look. Sweet build, i had a 2012 crf250r and loved it until there was rattle coming from who knows where, and the engine needed a new top end. its an awesome bike if you keep up good maintenance.
Thanks man! Yeah I've got about 10hrs on it now and i absolutely love it! As far as the coatings its hard to say because I didn't have anything to compare it to, but I've built alot of suspension and when you build something that's coated you definitely notice how much smoother everything is so on some level its definitely doing something, whether or not you feel it is hard to say, looks cool though!
dereka15
12/2/2016 4:51am
ed921reyes wrote:
dammmmmmmmmm!!! this bike is awesome. i had a 11 crf250 best bike ive ever owned!!! wish i never sold it.

how much you into it?
Thanks! They're great bikes. With the $1700 I payed for the bike itself and everything I have into it, I'm probably at about 6k, that's obviously far more then it will ever be worth to anyone else, but it's way better then a new bike imo for much less.
dereka15
12/2/2016 5:08am Edited Date/Time 12/2/2016 5:18am
RussB wrote:
Wow, really nice job! Your build definitely deserves a bigger/more detailed thread. It looks like you've put a lot of hours into that bike! Out of...
Wow, really nice job!
Your build definitely deserves a bigger/more detailed thread. It looks like you've put a lot of hours into that bike!

Out of all the builds I've seen I think yours in one of the best in terms of the overall finish and look of the metal work on the bike. The finish on the frame, swingarm and cases look perfect without being 'over polished'. Gives the bike a super clean look.

Did you do any work to the header pipe? I bet that will blue up nicely after a few rides.

I'm rebuilding my 15 RMZ450 at the moment, if I can get my aluminum to look half as good as yours I will be happy!
Thanks man I greatly appreciate it! For the frame all I did was wash it with eagle one and then I scrubbed it with maroon scotchbrite and sos. Same thing for the cases except no eagle one and I used 320 sand paper first. I did polish the header and it did blue very nice, one of my favorite things on the bike

Right on! I've never done a full frame job on an rmz like this yet, one thing I've noticed is every bike reacts a bit different, some are shinier then others, just depends on the alloy and how the peices are cast. The rmz's seem to clean up quite nice though, the factory guy's frames are probably the nicest in the pits.

dereka15
12/2/2016 5:15am Edited Date/Time 12/2/2016 5:17am
How do you like the brembo master cylinder? Is it worth the investment? Did you swap the calipers aswell?
I like the brembo master cylinder, I have one on both my Hondas. It's definitely got quite a bit more power imo. It does have a different feel to it, and it's still no KTM but I think that could be because of my line. I did not swap the caliper though, there's no way that I know of to get one to mount without some pretty serious machining.
Cmiller493
12/2/2016 4:30pm
How much did it cost for cerakoting the hubs? Wonder if its any cheaper going directly to the company versus going through dubya.
dereka15
12/2/2016 5:05pm
Cmiller493 wrote:
How much did it cost for cerakoting the hubs? Wonder if its any cheaper going directly to the company versus going through dubya.
It only cost me $100 to have them done which is half of Dubya's cost.

Post a reply to: 2011 Crf250r build

The Latest