2008 RM125. the Re- Rebuild is underway.

Slosh 112
Edited Date/Time 10/27/2022 2:31pm
So this is my 2008 Suzuki RM125. I got it for a good price which is just as well considering what I found when i got it home, which is ok because i was looking for a project bike to start with. Anyway after organising a day to go and look at it I get to his house and here it is in front of the garage door. It looked rough and he apologised for "forgetting to wash it", it looked more like he'd never done anything except rinse it with the garden hose, which was apparently fine because he had only ever ridden it on the beach (groan...Unsure ) and it looked vastly different in the flesh to what it looked like in the photos (no surprise there). It took the seller a long time to find a shoe good enough to start it, it ran fine after only a few kicks and idled nicely. I found the rear shock linkage to be seized solid when I sat on it but it selected every gear, hit band hard and the brakes worked well enough, although the plastics were rooted the fork seals didn't leak, so we agreed on a price and I loaded it onto the back of the ute and went home. So heres some pics of when I got it home.

The frame had been crudely painted, you can see where they masked up the motor and shock and painted around it.

The salt and sand took its toll on everything

|
Slosh 112
3/9/2015 4:25am
I started stripping it down and found a few things that made me scratch my head, my "parts to buy list" is getting bigger.

The radiators are really straight which is a surprise.

The bike had a brand new Talon rear sprocket, O-Ring chain and Dunlop MX51 rear tyre, I'll sell the Talon sprocket as it doesn't suit the look I'm going for and the O-Ring chain can go on my 450. The left side axle adjuster thread is completely stripped so thats another thing I'll fave to fix, and as I suspected the linkage bearings were beyond a clean and grease but the swingarm pivot bearings are near new so Ill be able to save them.

Slosh 112
3/9/2015 10:05pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2015 4:22pm
I stripped the bike down to nothing and stripped the shock apart, no nitrogen in the bladder and no oil in the body, but there was a bit of sand in it haha. the bump stop is non existent so its a complete rebuild for the shock I guess, theres a bit of wear in the anodising on the front lower edge of the shock body where the piston wears most, The fork tubes have corrosion from stone chips so I'll get them turned down and hard anodised along with the shock body, maybe even the rims.

The first lot of my parts arrived.

FMF factory fatty.
Funnel Web air filter.
RMZ bolt kit.
Boyesen Pro Series reeds.
Forged shifter.
Renthal grips & bar pad.
All balls Linkage bearings kit.
All balls shock seal head.
OEM shock bump stop.
OEM expansion pipe springs.
OEM expansion pipe o-rings.
UFO RMZ front fender.
UFO RMZ front number plate.
I got curious looking at my collection of surplus discs and sprockets, one of my old YZF front discs bolts straight up. So I'll be using that on the front, looks a little better than the OEM Suzuki item.

Im Still waiting for my Renthal sprockets, chain rollers, FMF shorty muffler, new brake pads front and rear, which I should be able to pick up from the bike shop when I get home from work.

/img]
Spydee
3/10/2015 1:11am
Looking good so far man, at least you won't have to arrange for any of the parts to be sand blasted... sounds like it's had enough of that throughout its life Grinning
K-dubbb
3/10/2015 7:13am
Looking good man! I am doing an 01 and same boat - a lot more shit was ruined than I had expected so the budget is no longer involved!

All the best man and I will keep my eyes on this!

The Shop

FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
3/10/2015 7:42am
YZ rotor same diameter as the RM rotor?
Slosh 112
3/11/2015 2:54am
Cheers guys I'm enjoying it so far. Im going to take my time with this one, but I'm keen to get it done so I can give my YZF a little rest and bit of love also.

Sure is FGR01. I was surprised, I was tempted to get a Galfer SKW oversize kit for it, but with the Aussie dollar being so low against the U.S dollar at the moment It makes you think twice about stacking up the shopping cart on BTO haha so I'll give the yzf disc a run first and see what I think.

3/11/2015 8:27am
Looking good mate, looks a decent base under all that crud, doesn't look like it's had much hard use either looking at things like the shock body, caliper guard etc, guess he just rode it in all the wrong places and was lax with the maintenance ?

Look forward to seeing the end results, parts selection looks good, liking the bare finish pipe lots.
Slosh 112
3/11/2015 6:10pm Edited Date/Time 3/13/2015 2:26am
Cheers Empty, I always wanted a factory finish pipe, bit more maintenance to keep them looking good but look better than a nickel pipe after a few years when the plating chips off from roost off the front wheel.

Stripped the air box apart and cleaned off the old foam seal and gave the whole lot a good clean, when I assemble it I'll use Loctite grey maxx to seal the boot to the box, I could see there was almost sand getting between the box and boot.

Well I'm gonna order a Boyesen clutch and ignition cover, the corrosion has almost eaten through to the o-ring groove on the clutch cover and it's had a good bite at the ignition cover also, I could probably save the ignition cover but I figure if I'm going to buy a Boyesen clutch cover might as well get one for the other side while I'm at it, so they will be in the next lot of parts I order. Shame because the stocko's are flash magnesium.

It was at this point when I got the motor on the bench and had a good look at everything that I decided that I'm going to split the motor and fully glass blast everything clean and rebuild everything with new bearings. I'm going to measure the crank and if it's still good I'll use it again and the piston is brand new so she can stay for now provided it's the right size for the cylinder, I'll measure the bore and see where it's at. I might put some ceramic main bearings in it depending on how dear they are.

Had to use vice grips and a hammer to get the clutch cable out of the case, new cables on order anyway.

Took the head off to have a look. Haha this is why you buy the expensive plug that Suzuki recommends instead of an $5 plug you get from the mower shop. Still ran by the way, you wouldn't even know.

garagedog
Fantasy
722nd
3/12/2015 11:33am

1. Is that a new air filter in you picture or did you drop your shower cap? I have never seen that brand before. I always use DT1 since I live 4 miles away from their shop.

2. What is that blue thing on your T handle. I assume it helps spin the tool. How does it stay on and not fall off?

3. Just curious, what is the model of spark plug is that in the pic?

Looks like fun! I'm following. Nice project!
Rowlands
3/12/2015 12:48pm
I can tell this is going to be a sweet build.
Corrosion is pretty gnarly ! What overall look are you going for or a suprize ?
Slosh 112
3/12/2015 2:22pm
garagedog wrote:
1. Is that a new air filter in you picture or did you drop your shower cap? I have never seen that brand before. I always...

1. Is that a new air filter in you picture or did you drop your shower cap? I have never seen that brand before. I always use DT1 since I live 4 miles away from their shop.

2. What is that blue thing on your T handle. I assume it helps spin the tool. How does it stay on and not fall off?

3. Just curious, what is the model of spark plug is that in the pic?

Looks like fun! I'm following. Nice project!
1. Haha not my shower cap. https://funnelwebfilter.com.au. For me they are the best filter I've used, plus they are an Australian company so I buy them to support the local bloke, and they are similar to an O2 Rush filter and I always liked them.
2. It's a BluePoint Turbo T-handle. It's got bearings in the sleeve and held on with circlips, I've got two. One in 1/4" drive and one in a 1/4" screwdriver adapter bit. Probably my favourite bike specific tools.
3. It's an NGK 8. Haha that's all that's on it, not a CR8E it just has an 8 on it.
Slosh 112
3/12/2015 2:38pm
Rowlands wrote:
I can tell this is going to be a sweet build. Corrosion is pretty gnarly ! What overall look are you going for or a suprize...
I can tell this is going to be a sweet build.
Corrosion is pretty gnarly ! What overall look are you going for or a suprize ?
Yeah everything is a bitch to pull apart, every second bolt snaps. As far as the look I'm going for I really wanted to build a retro 92 RM look a like with the crazy colours and leopard seat cover but then I saw that somebody else had already done it with an RM250 so I kinda don't want to look like I copied him.
But it still looks boss as, I've tried to contact Ripped Vinyl about doing another kit for me but no response, and all I can get from Traction MX is that the seat covers can be available soon, no word on when or how much they are worth, except that it's a non gripper cover, and now I get no respose from either of them so I figure I'll find someone in Australia to make me a kit and cover if I want to go down that road.
But yeah think I might just wing the look at the moment, I can't find a sticker kit I like as most of them are Rockstar energy or makita kits and every second goon has rockstar and makita crap, so they are out, might just get a full custom kit made.
Im going to get the forks anodised matte clear like the works magnesium Showa stuff, see how I feel when it comes to it.
Slosh 112
3/12/2015 2:52pm Edited Date/Time 3/13/2015 2:30am
Basically this is where I'm at, bare frame ready to get blast & powder coated. If I can find a vendor that will do it, seems like all the shops near me only want to take on easy jobs like pool fencing or a truck bars...

I want it done in Suzuki yellow but they all say "all we got is safety yellow" so I might take my new fender in and see if it's a close match, if not I'll search elsewhere out of town.
Slosh 112
3/13/2015 2:46am
How did I know this would happen...
Top radiator shroud mount bolts stripped out the inserts in the tank on both sides, looks like I'll hafta glue them back in..

Jarrod458
3/13/2015 11:16pm

My old rm has a cool kit from tech one designs. I custom cut the side number plates as well. Good luck with your build! Cheers!
Slosh 112
3/14/2015 2:53am
Thanks bro. I dunno if I'll trim the side plates but I've already got the RMZ fender and front plate, thought I was breaking new ground with that idea...

Olson
3/14/2015 1:54pm
Looks incredible already! Excited about this build.
Bruce372
3/14/2015 3:51pm
Slosh 112 wrote:
Thanks bro. I dunno if I'll trim the side plates but I've already got the RMZ fender and front plate, thought I was breaking new ground...
Thanks bro. I dunno if I'll trim the side plates but I've already got the RMZ fender and front plate, thought I was breaking new ground with that idea...

post a better pic of that beer cooler!!!! looks sweet mate!
ky_savage
Fantasy
500th
3/15/2015 5:05am
Can't wait to see more of this build! I love the RM's.
Slosh 112
3/16/2015 2:50am
Bruce372 it looks even better when its full of beer haha!

So I got some more parts today, and some new tools also.
As per usual as soon as I pick up some parts I've got more on order (projects....).
Renthal sprockets.
FMF shorty.
SBS sintered brake pads.

On the tool front (ohyeah!)
Motion Pro showa fork cap tool (awesome)
Snap-On circlip plier set & got new side cutters and long nose pliers as a warranty claim, nothing wrong with them but they are new updated versions and I get along pretty good with my Snap-On guy so he swapped em out for me.
No2 Phillips head screw driver also from snap me off. love them new tool/new parts feels!!

Put my new MP cap tool to use today while I was at it, stripped the forks down.
The left side fork was an absolute bastard!! had to hammer the lower fork lug with a hammer and brass tipped drift to separate it from the outer tube, the two bushes grabbed and the fork seal didn't let go, had to pry the bushing out of the outer tube... 25 mins of swearing, hammering and one sore hand later (they call me lightning...) I had one fork stripped. The right side popped apart like it should. Gotta order a fork bushing kit along with the seals when I do my next lot of parts ordering.
But any way the fork tubes are ready to get polished and anodised with the shock body...

K-dubbb
3/16/2015 5:19am
Slosh 112 wrote:
How did I know this would happen... Top radiator shroud mount bolts stripped out the inserts in the tank on both sides, looks like I'll hafta...
How did I know this would happen...
Top radiator shroud mount bolts stripped out the inserts in the tank on both sides, looks like I'll hafta glue them back in..

Same thing happened to me! I added the JB Plastic/Metal Weld and it seems to have secured them pretty good.

Looking good man!
3/18/2015 6:52am
This is a cool build!

And salt....is such a bad mofo. This reminded me of a one owner '01 KX125 I checked out recently. The guy bought it new, rode it a few times on trails then moved interstate for work. Problem was, he had stored it in his father's shed near the beach this whole time. So...it was a time warp bike that looked brand new, until you got up close and saw all the corrosion. The fork tubes were twice as bad as this!

Are you planning to get all new plastics? I'd be interested in the oem shrouds if you'd consider selling.

Slosh 112
3/21/2015 3:50am Edited Date/Time 8/15/2015 4:28pm
This is a cool build! And salt....is such a bad mofo. This reminded me of a one owner '01 KX125 I checked out recently. The guy...
This is a cool build!

And salt....is such a bad mofo. This reminded me of a one owner '01 KX125 I checked out recently. The guy bought it new, rode it a few times on trails then moved interstate for work. Problem was, he had stored it in his father's shed near the beach this whole time. So...it was a time warp bike that looked brand new, until you got up close and saw all the corrosion. The fork tubes were twice as bad as this!

Are you planning to get all new plastics? I'd be interested in the oem shrouds if you'd consider selling.

Thanks Kawasaki. I've only ever owned Yamahas and I've always wanted a Suzuki and even more so an RM125 especially as 2 bangers are ridiculous popular is Aus right now... This may have influenced my decision to buy the bike in the first place. It is deffinetly a lot rougher in the flesh, I'm sure most people that have ever taken on a project bike know what I mean.

It will deffinetly get a whole new set of plastics, but I'm gunna hold onto the rad shrouds, just because they are in great condition and still have the oem graphics on them, I think I will box them up with the radiators seeing as they are so straight and I'm going to put GPI's on the bike anyway.
Slosh 112
3/21/2015 4:13am Edited Date/Time 8/15/2015 4:29pm
I cleaned up a few more parts in my little blasting cabinet before I left for work. It takes a while coz my compressor isn't big enough to run the thing at full steam.

Stripped down the front wheel. Took me ages, tried to save the spokes but then I realised they are way to hashed to use again so I'll buy some staino spokes for the front, the rear already has stainless spokes (maximum win!). I'd like to get the anodising stripped off the rims and get them polished so that I can get them custom hard anodised but I also have half a mind to just lash out and buy a pair of "old school" gold excels (everyone's got black rims now)
Slosh 112
3/21/2015 4:23am
I'm told that if you remove the oem pressed steel brake tip from the lever & tap out the holes that a Hammerhead oversize brake tip will bolt straight up. Seems like a great lil mod I'm keen to try, so I ordered one and ground down the heads and punched out the rivets and ran a tap through the holes, also ordered a Hammerhead Pro Brake return spring king as well, they only list them as fitting the RMZ's but I have faith that it will fit.

quicken
3/21/2015 3:06pm
Slosh 112 wrote:
1. Haha not my shower cap. [url=https://funnelwebfilter.com.au]https://funnelwebfilter.com.au[/url]. For me they are the best filter I've used, plus they are an Australian company so I buy them...
1. Haha not my shower cap. https://funnelwebfilter.com.au. For me they are the best filter I've used, plus they are an Australian company so I buy them to support the local bloke, and they are similar to an O2 Rush filter and I always liked them.
2. It's a BluePoint Turbo T-handle. It's got bearings in the sleeve and held on with circlips, I've got two. One in 1/4" drive and one in a 1/4" screwdriver adapter bit. Probably my favourite bike specific tools.
3. It's an NGK 8. Haha that's all that's on it, not a CR8E it just has an 8 on it.
Great build!

Just fyi, the plug that was in there was the correct one. They just say 8 on the side and have the welded electrode strap

Slosh 112
3/22/2015 3:11am
quicken wrote:
Great build! Just fyi, the plug that was in there was the correct one. They just say 8 on the side and have the welded electrode...
Great build!

Just fyi, the plug that was in there was the correct one. They just say 8 on the side and have the welded electrode strap

Well there you go. Shows how much I know about spark plugs... It will get a nice iridium plug when she's all done.
TKL965
3/24/2015 3:07am
Keen to see this bike finished, looks trick!

Post a reply to: 2008 RM125. the Re- Rebuild is underway.

The Latest