2006 yz250 forks problem?

Edited Date/Time 10/1/2012 5:51pm
So I replaced the fork seals on my new to me 2006 yz250 and I encountered a problem while putting oil in the inner cartridge. I have already performed this once on my 2004 cr250 with a little help from motosports fork seals video and had no problems. In the video i noticed that the forks were the same as on my cr but are not the exact ones on my yz250. So I put the oil in and pushed the push rod up slowly and pulled it down slowly to fill it with oil. After performing this 4 times to ensure it was full I feeled the cartridge back up with oil like the video says and I can not get the inner cartridge top back on. So I kept emptying the oil till I was finally able to screw the top on. When I tilted it to drain the oil out the bleed holes I was surprised to find only a few drops came out. Then when i applied pressure to the push rod to see if it would bounce back to its original placem, oil shot out the bleed hole the first 2 tests then stopped. After that happened the push rod would never fully extend to its complete length but would stop about an inch short. Im sorry if my description isnt the best but i tried my best to explain whats happening. So am I doing anything wrong or is this normal? If I am doing it wrong what should I do? I am really getting frustrated with this so some helpful advice would be much appreciated.

here is the video that I am going off of, go to the 2:20 mark.
https://youtu.be/YjGjSsWyMqA
|
slipdog
10/1/2012 5:45pm
As for the damping rod not rebounding to full extension that is very common. Usually from air left in the cartridge assembly and/or you over purged the fork during the final bleed.

This is a correct statment. Nothing will come out of the bleed holes before you blow off the cartridge. When you do compress the rod, do it slowly and the oil will shoot out much stronger than a Showa fork. I have done more than I can count so I can do it by sight, but the service manual says to set the oil level in the inner chamber at 150mm from the top. That way you don't have too much or too little before you install the compression valve. The fact that you said the cartridge blew off twice tells me you still had too much oil in there

Keep trying and you'll get it, they're just more sensitive than the Showa forks.
10/1/2012 5:51pm
Well I was able to re try on one fork tonight and I think I finally got it right this time as the push rod fully extended without me having to pull it down. Like you said I think I was filling the cartridge with to much oil. The video says to fill it back up to the bleed hole before putting the cap on and that method does not apply to the yz forks.

Post a reply to: 2006 yz250 forks problem?

The Latest