2006 YZ450f backfire!

mdb413
Edited Date/Time 5/10/2016 10:17pm
Can anyone give me some advice on how to get my 450 to stop popping so bad when I let off of the throttle. I have a blast ridding it but it is so annoying when I let off the gas to get ready for cornering. I wasn't sure if there is an easy fix or if it is just the nature of the beast. I hear others do the same I was just curious as if it was something that I could quiet down a bit. I bought the bike brand new and have checked for clearances per the service manual and all seems good. I do not have much time on the bike due to having to perform military duties all over the states so hopefully wear is not the problem. Could it be an adjustment on the carb that would cause all of the backfiring? Thanks for any advice.

Matt
|
Paw Paw 271
5/9/2016 9:27am
The popping in the exhaust is a sign of a lean condition. There are several causes. One is the fuel screw setting under the carb. A bit hard to get to, but CCW rotation richens the fuel mix. CW leans it out. 1/8 of a turn make a big difference.
If that does not cure it after about 1/2 turn, then I would be looking at the exhaust pipe gasket at the head. If the pipe has ever been removed it will need to be replaced as they are a crush gasket intended for a one time use.
The last item would be a partial clogged pilot jet in the carb. If that is not clogged, the exhaust gasket was replaced and the fuel screw adjustment did not fix the issue, then you may need to go up one size on the pilot jet.
Also, have you checked the valve clearances and cam timing?

Paw Paw
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
5/9/2016 1:04pm
Another item that commonly causes a lean condition is the hot-start hanging open. Where the plunger fits in the carb it gets gunked up and sticky. Take it apart, clean everything well and put a light coat of grease on it. Then make sure the cable is nice and free and the finger lever has a little bit of play in it so it's not keeping tension on the cable.
NHtoWA421
5/9/2016 1:27pm Edited Date/Time 5/9/2016 1:28pm
my first thought would be that your valves are too tight which could lead to the popping and some hard starting issues, but it sounds like you have done all that, so id move on to the carb and work with the jetting like paw-paw suggested. there are a lot of youtube videos on carb tuning to get you started.

There are also some tricks you can do with the carb that in my opinion are worthwhile doing. one being the accelerator pump mod that will give you some more fuel down of the bottom and really clean her up down there.

the second gets that useless raccoon pecker yamaha calls a "hot start lever" off the bars. essentially wire that thing closed, use an oem yzf450 quad hot start block off plate and it gets rid of the hotstart.

if you google both of those, your answers will be right in front of you in google images
5/9/2016 3:22pm
I have the same model year bike. As stated above its mostly likely your fuel screw. It's worth while buying the aftermarket style that lets you adjust it with your fingers as major elevation/temperature changes will cause it to lean out enough to pop on decel. If that's not it then work out the correct jetting.

The Shop

racinstation
Fantasy
1921st
5/10/2016 10:17pm
Too lean on the pilot could cause this. At your elevation a 45 or 48 should be fine. I see the o ring on the fuel screws damaged a lot of the time and this will cause it as well. Another less likely thing I have seen is varnish in the nozzle (the part the needle goes in and out of), this will cause a big or backfire as well.

Post a reply to: 2006 YZ450f backfire!

The Latest