2003 rm60 clutch issue

ttugrad1793
Edited Date/Time 6/23/2015 5:15pm
New to me RM60 (kind of weird deal - the name plate on the frame is that it's a KX, but apparently they built 'em and RM put their plastics on them. Anyway, it's basically a KX.

Fires right up and purrs.

However, I have no clutch. It pulls with tension, but will not engage. I'm a total newb with a wrench, but this is for my 9y old and I'd like to make some progress. Can I get a point in the right direction??
|
6/22/2015 8:39am
If it has been sitting for a while the plates could be stuck together. That means draining the trans oil and removing the right hand side case, then see if the plates engage and disengaged.. But see if you can get the Service Manual and take a look1st.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
6/22/2015 9:32am
I've had a few bikes over the years that did that.

Start the bike in neutral, push it to get moving, then pop it into 1st gear. Likely the clutch will work fine within a few seconds.

A friend of mine had that issue with his bike, but every time he rode it, he had to unstick the plates. Once unstuck, they were fine for the day. Next weekend, same thing. We were too young and broke to try and actually fix it. Tongue
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
6/22/2015 10:29am
He said "will not engage". If the plates were stuck together it would be engaged full time and would not "disengage".
ttugrad1793
6/22/2015 10:54am
for clarity - bike sits in neutral and starts. You click it down to 1st and the wheel spins. Pull the clutch, the wheel keeps spinning. If you hit the brake, it drops the RPMs and kills the motor.

The Shop

Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
6/22/2015 12:58pm
for clarity - bike sits in neutral and starts. You click it down to 1st and the wheel spins. Pull the clutch, the wheel keeps spinning...
for clarity - bike sits in neutral and starts. You click it down to 1st and the wheel spins. Pull the clutch, the wheel keeps spinning. If you hit the brake, it drops the RPMs and kills the motor.
Try riding it (you, not your beginner son). If it's just sticking plates, your weight and the motor with the clutch pulled in should break them free. If not, you'll end up taking it apart anyway to find the mechanical problem.
6/23/2015 5:15pm Edited Date/Time 6/23/2015 5:16pm
You can try putting the bike in gear, clutch in , and rock it back and forth. Sometimes this will free it up. Engine off.

If you try to ride it around in with the clutch in to free it, tap the rear brake ,without stalling it, to put a bit of a load on things.

I had an old Kawasaki KE 100 that I came by. It had sat for a few years. Got it running, and same thing. Clutch was stuck. Rode it around for about a half hour with the clutch in. NaDa.

Pulled the clutch apart, and the cork / fiber plates were bonded to the steels. They fibers were trashed by the time I peeled them off the steels. Even had to scrape the remains of fiber off with a blade, and bead blast the steels to get the cork off of them.

And by the way, KX 60 clutch plates fit the KE100 as well.

Post a reply to: 2003 rm60 clutch issue

The Latest