2000 YZ 250 Smoker Project & Garage Update

2/1/2015 11:30am
ruskymx wrote:
Still have this and looking for cases for it. If anyone comes across any for a 99-00 YZ250, let me know. I've been watching eBay and...
Still have this and looking for cases for it. If anyone comes across any for a 99-00 YZ250, let me know. I've been watching eBay and CL for months with no luck so far. Every case(s) that I found were as bad or worse than mine.

Ruskymx
ruskymx
6/5/2015 7:12pm
Woo hoo! I finally found a set of cases that were reasonable priced and in relatively good shape. They shipped today and I'm looking forward to getting them and making sure everything is good before I order all the bearing, etc. I don't have the tool to remove the bearings from the cases that don't have access to both sides. It's not a cheap too from what I found so I'm thinking about just having my local Yamaha dealer pull and install the bearings. I may even find out how much they would charge to put the whole bottom end back together. I had a good month last month at work so the bonus check should be a healthy one. It will give me more time to work on other stuff on the bike and get it running sooner.

I never had a cylinder sleeved before so I'm not sure it can be done to mine. One of the "ears" at the bottom was broken off by the previous owner while he was taking it apart. I'll get a picture and post it up here for some feedback.

After selling some stuff that came with the bike, I'm down to $370 invested in the bike right now. I think about $1000 more I can get her together and looking good. If it takes a little more that's fine too. I need to decide what I am going to do with the frame. I would like to keep it the stock color, but it seems that the paint is hard to get if not impossible. I wish PJ1 was still around...it would make that decision easier. I am thinking about a charcoal metallic gray or black.

Ruskymx
ruskymx
6/7/2015 5:42pm
Here is a picture of the cylinder. Can this be sleeved and used or do I have a paperweight on my hands?

The Shop

6/7/2015 9:53pm
Risky,
Looking good. I'm not sure but my triple clamps and bar mounts may come in handy for someone that I have for sale in "Bazaar"?
Keep pushing on.
Ghost
ruskymx
7/14/2015 8:31pm
Made some progress lately. I have the bottom end back together except for the clutch and ignition.

Random parts clean up hanging out in a wheel barrow.

Frame is stripped of all parts. I think I'm going to get it powder coated in the original color (or as close as possible). I'm thinking about having the subframe stripped of all paint and going with the natural aluminum look or even powder coated silver. Not sure yet though.

Should I remove the old steering stem gearing races before or after powder coating or doesn't it matter?

New parts starting to come in! Woohoo Since my ignition cover was cracked and need a new one figured I would get a matching set.

Ruskymx
ruskymx
10/5/2017 1:31pm
Wow, I knew it was a while since I worked on this bike but I didn't think it was this long! lol Anyway, frame is at the powder coater, linkage & swingarm bearings are here. I bought some of the appropriate tools and new steering stem bearings and have the new one installed so just waiting on the frame to continue. From what I've been reading, I think I'm going to strip the swingarm down to bare aluminum and try to give it the "brushed" look.

Mods: I think you can move this to the Bike Builds section. It seems to belong there and not here, but it's been dormant for a while though so got lost in the shuffle of the restructuring.

Ruskymx
ruskymx
10/5/2017 6:52pm
Here’s some updated pics

ruskymx
10/5/2017 6:55pm

The previous owner polished the top rails of the swing arm so I need to get rid of that and strip the rest of the paint. Going to go for the brushed look on it.

The original air box cleaned up nicely with some SoftScrub

10/6/2017 10:22am
Wow, two year break!...good for you that you stuck with it mate!.
ruskymx
10/6/2017 2:30pm
#76 wrote:
Wow, two year break!...good for you that you stuck with it mate!.
Yeah I had stuff come up around that house that needed my attention (as in money) so this was pushed to the back burner. Plus, when I did have some cash, I picked up an 04 YZ 125 that I could ride and was working on that a little throughout the year. I have that to the point where I am OK with the way that is for now and I am going to finish the 250. Once the 250 is done, then I will tear down the 125 and freshen up the bearing etc. Top end is new with low hours on it (they actually had receipts). Previous owner blew it up and had to replace the cylinder. I'm hoping when I get to the swingarm pivot bolt, it comes out easier than the 250 did.
10/6/2017 5:26pm
lumpy790 wrote:
isnt it funny how every used bike just had a top end put in?
ruskymx wrote:
Around here it's either "fresh top end" or blown and needs a top end.
It's "just needs a coil" or "carb just needs cleaned " around here.
ruskymx
10/8/2017 4:24pm
Carb needs cleaning is popular here too. I forgot about that one
ruskymx
10/8/2017 4:34pm
I went through two cans of paint stripper and about 4 treatments. It was still not enough to get off everything and it didn’t do much actually so I just fired up the drill and the wire wheel and went to work. After many hours, I finally removed everything. The aluminum is pitted and I think is going to ruin the brushes look I’m going for.

Any ideas to get rid of them or is it just lots of sanding?

10/8/2017 9:29pm
Go at it with a soft wire brush attachment on a drill:

Here's some snaps from the 2000 YZ250 i had restored years ago for inspiration:

First, the swingarm resto:

Here's how i bought it:

Here's the shit i went through restoring it:

When things started to get X rated Woohoo :

Super rare Noleen Pipe

Pretty much done:
ruskymx
10/9/2017 8:16am
^ none of the photos are showing for me. It's giving a Photobucket message about updating your acct for 3rd part hosting
FGR01
Fantasy
1334th
10/9/2017 10:57am
ruskymx wrote:
Carb needs cleaning is popular here too. I forgot about that one
Same here. It's always something that is "super cheap" or "super easy to fix" but yet the seller just can't seem to take care of this simple thing for some reason.

In AZ, dirt bikes are required to be titled. So everyone is sketched out by bikes with no title and suspicious of them being stolen. Dudes will always post bikes for sale as "no title, but it's super easy to get a bonded title from the DMV". Uhhh... well then why don't you do that before you try to sell it ?
ruskymx
10/10/2017 6:44pm
PA doesn’t require titles but some riding areas by me require them to be registered and insured to ride on the property so refistering without a title becomes and issue.

I made some progress on the swing arm. It’s not perfect but I think it’s going to do. Started with 150, then 320 then 400 and finally wd40 and scotch brite pad.

ruskymx
10/16/2017 5:15pm
I picked the frame up from the powder coater and I think it came out great! He did a really good job of getting the color as close to the original as possible. The lighting in my garage sucks (for now, better lighting, and work area are on the way Wink ). It's now time to start putting her back together! I just need to press in the steering stem races and swingarm bearings. I'm hoping I can get a new swingarm pivot bolt from RM or somewhere since i beat the crap out of this one getting it out.

ruskymx
10/22/2017 4:25pm
Started to put it back together. The spot where the linkage bolts to the frame needs to be fixed. The powder coating is not allowing the bolt to pass through. I made sure to be generous with anti seize on the swing arm pivot bolt plus it’s a new one so hopefully it’s not seized the next time I want to remove it.

ruskymx
10/24/2017 8:57pm
My garage cabinets came in so now I can actually have s proper work space. I bought a set from Lowe’s. They are New Age Bold 3.

I am waiting for some parts and miscellaneous bolts to come in from Rocky Mountain so I am going to try and get these put together on Thursday so I can continue to work on the bike over the weekend.

I think I’m getting old because I’m excited to fill these and have a proper work space Woohoo

CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3665th
10/26/2017 10:49am
N style make the 00 yot kit wothnhologram now
ruskymx
10/26/2017 7:06pm
CrGuy2T wrote:
N style make the 00 yot kit wothnhologram now
Nice! I’ll have to look into that once I get to that point. I spent most of today putting the cabinets and workbench together. I’m almost done. I just need to install the shelves and get organized.

Markopolo400
10/30/2017 9:43am
How do you like those cabinets? I'm looking at almost the same set
ruskymx
11/1/2017 8:13pm
How do you like those cabinets? I'm looking at almost the same set
So far so good! I’m still working on getting organized and set up how I want. I was looking at different options for pegboard for between the cabinets and bench. I was thinking about going with and aluminum or stainless steel pegboard but they are not cheap! I decided to get the plain old white stuff from Home Depot and paint it with metallic paint. I’m halfway done that and already installed my under cabinet light plus a few outlets. Added a third above the cabinets for a TV so I can watch some football while wrenching.

Post a reply to: 2000 YZ 250 Smoker Project & Garage Update

The Latest