2000 Cr 250 Horrible Suspension

jerseycr250
Edited Date/Time 2/13/2014 12:37pm
I'm new to vital but I have been reading for years. I've got a 2000 CR 250 with stock suspension. And i just cant seem to get a good setting for woods. The shock is ok but the front forks kills my arms on small chop. Every sharp edge or root kills my arms. Forks have been redone with new oil and seals. Any help appreciated thank
|
2/11/2014 8:02am
I'm new to vital but I have been reading for years. I've got a 2000 CR 250 with stock suspension. And i just cant seem to...
I'm new to vital but I have been reading for years. I've got a 2000 CR 250 with stock suspension. And i just cant seem to get a good setting for woods. The shock is ok but the front forks kills my arms on small chop. Every sharp edge or root kills my arms. Forks have been redone with new oil and seals. Any help appreciated thank
Just get a revalve done by Factory Connection or RaceTech for Woods riding. It seems like your front rebound settings are too stiff.
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1959th
2/11/2014 2:17pm
I'm new to vital but I have been reading for years. I've got a 2000 CR 250 with stock suspension. And i just cant seem to...
A bit more info will definitely help everyone help you.

How much do you weigh? Are the springs stock? Have you messed with the clickers at all?

There is a good chance that a revalve will help, and since I work for Race Tech and I would love to sell you suspension - sure that's an easy guess to the answer, but depending on your weight and some of these other items, you might be able to get the stock stuff good enough.

Usually small chop and sharp edges (and roots) are two completely different types of action for the suspension, not to say the same solution can't remedy the problem.

A couple other easy things to check...

Are your forks installed properly. Many times riders who complain about harshness on the forks has nothing to do with setup, but they actually have their forks installed so they aren't perfectly parallel. If you don't know the process, it's very likely this is part of the issue; it's extremely common.

What type of bars/mounts/clamps are you running? You would be amazed at just how much difference loosening a crossbar will make.

What tire pressure are you running?

Check out those things, and let us know what you have in there for springs/valving and I'd love to help you out the best that I can. If you do need suspension work, I'd love for you to choose Race Tech, and we have a VitalMX discount code to save 20% off as well! chris@racetech.com if you need anything.
Paw Paw 271
2/11/2014 3:38pm
Hint !!!!! If the front end feels hard or harsh and the rear end feels good, most likely the rear end is set too soft and not allowing the front end to do it's job.

Paw Paw
jerseycr250
2/12/2014 6:58am
I weigh a 160lb and 5'-10" and the suspension is completely stock.. I've messed with the clickers a bunch but I can't get a good setting for the sharp jolts. What is a good baseline setting for forks? And thanks for the help so far I'm just waiting for the weather to warm up so I can try some changes.

The Shop

2/12/2014 7:03am
I have an 01 and had similar issues. Changing my oil height helped me. I am running 325 mL in each leg right now.
2/12/2014 4:59pm
I agree.. the stock rear shock was ok, but the forks were horrible.. a lot of mid-stroke harshness.. almost unridable. I had my forks revalved and it was a totally different bike... one of the best I have ridden.
silver753
2/12/2014 9:38pm
A cheap fix would be change your pressure springs (not the big ones). The control most of the smaller little choppy stuff. Stock rate is maybe (2.0 or 2.1?) Put in some 1.8 or 1.6 and it will make a HUUUUGE difference. Or like Jeremy stated above, a full revalve will fix but cost you more. Pressure springs are around $40, but a little tough to install if you are no experienced.
jerseycr250
2/13/2014 7:49am
I agree.. the stock rear shock was ok, but the forks were horrible.. a lot of mid-stroke harshness.. almost unridable. I had my forks revalved and...
I agree.. the stock rear shock was ok, but the forks were horrible.. a lot of mid-stroke harshness.. almost unridable. I had my forks revalved and it was a totally different bike... one of the best I have ridden.
When you send them out for a revolve do you send the whole fork or just the valve? And how much did they charge?
jerseycr250
2/13/2014 7:57am
silver753 wrote:
A cheap fix would be change your pressure springs (not the big ones). The control most of the smaller little choppy stuff. Stock rate is maybe...
A cheap fix would be change your pressure springs (not the big ones). The control most of the smaller little choppy stuff. Stock rate is maybe (2.0 or 2.1?) Put in some 1.8 or 1.6 and it will make a HUUUUGE difference. Or like Jeremy stated above, a full revalve will fix but cost you more. Pressure springs are around $40, but a little tough to install if you are no experienced.
Where would you order them? I would like to get out of it cheaper and not have to send anything out
slipdog
2/13/2014 12:37pm
silver753 wrote:
A cheap fix would be change your pressure springs (not the big ones). The control most of the smaller little choppy stuff. Stock rate is maybe...
Where would you order them? I would like to get out of it cheaper and not have to send anything out
Your bike already has 1.76kg pressure springs stock.

Post a reply to: 2000 Cr 250 Horrible Suspension

The Latest