1997 yz 125

moore433
Edited Date/Time 5/9/2012 8:24am
I just picked up a 1997 yz 125 . It runs great & is in great shape!! Anybody know any good or bad things about this bike??
|
Stooperbike
5/8/2012 6:42am
I really dont remember anything bad about those bikes. I used to trade off my 250 for my buddies 97 yz 125 and I loved it. It really is a good bike. I just bought a 1998 YZ125 for cheap money. I would go through everything and make sure there are not leaks, the crank, piston and cylinder are in good shape. Check the crank seals. Nor sure what your budget is but if it were me and I was going to be riding that bike alot I would pull it down to the frame and replace everything that is worn or questionably worn. Doing so saves alot of headaches in the season. Gook luck I am sure you are going to enjoy it!
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
5/8/2012 3:37pm
My first Yamaha. What an awesome bike! I loved that thing; it turned me from a 125 Novice to an intermediate almost overnight.

The only issue I ever had with it was a bad main seal. This was after about a year and a half of riding and racing virtually every weekend. (Probably 4 pistons' worth of engine time.) It started smoking really bad and smelled like crap because it was pulling tranny oil into the combustion chamber. Still ran though!
moore433
5/8/2012 5:45pm
Thanks for the tips guys! The old budget is kinda small right now from buying this plus I have a 05 crf 450 & a 06 kx 250f that are currently being rebuilt right now also! Once I get those 2 done I'm planning on atleast putting a new top end in the 125.
CamP
5/8/2012 6:12pm
Missed you at the track lately, James. Get those bikes running and come on out before it's 100 degrees!

The Shop

mark_swart
5/8/2012 6:32pm
That bike was near the beginning of Yamaha's 125 dynasty of the '90s. Great bike... rode a friends and was just shocked at what a nice, usable but fast powerband it had. Enjoy!
moore433
5/9/2012 7:21am
CamP wrote:
Missed you at the track lately, James. Get those bikes running and come on out before it's 100 degrees!
Yea CamP, we've missed coming out! This economy hit us pretty hard, but things are better now. Should have all the bikes running in the next 2 weeks. I have the head from my bike & the head of Zack bike at pipers right now for total rebuild s. The kx 250f is a 2006, you know how hard that bike got rode, & it never even needed a valve shimming! Only rebuilding it because it's so old! My bike had a kibblewhite valve snap & took out the head & piston also, gotta love these 4 strokes! I can't wait to ride this little yz, I rode around the house & it flies. See ya'll soon!!!!
CamP
5/9/2012 8:17am
moore433 wrote:
Yea CamP, we've missed coming out! This economy hit us pretty hard, but things are better now. Should have all the bikes running in the next...
Yea CamP, we've missed coming out! This economy hit us pretty hard, but things are better now. Should have all the bikes running in the next 2 weeks. I have the head from my bike & the head of Zack bike at pipers right now for total rebuild s. The kx 250f is a 2006, you know how hard that bike got rode, & it never even needed a valve shimming! Only rebuilding it because it's so old! My bike had a kibblewhite valve snap & took out the head & piston also, gotta love these 4 strokes! I can't wait to ride this little yz, I rode around the house & it flies. See ya'll soon!!!!
Well, you won't have to worry about dropping a valve on the old tiddler. Speaking of 125's, we just picked up a low hour '99 RM125 for Carrie.

If you haven't heard. RV just completed major track changes and it's been turned around counterclockwise! Hope to see ya there!
moore433
5/9/2012 8:24am
moore433 wrote:
Yea CamP, we've missed coming out! This economy hit us pretty hard, but things are better now. Should have all the bikes running in the next...
CamP wrote:
Well, you won't have to worry about dropping a valve on the old tiddler. Speaking of 125's, we just picked up a low hour '99 RM125...
Well, you won't have to worry about dropping a valve on the old tiddler. Speaking of 125's, we just picked up a low hour '99 RM125 for Carrie.

If you haven't heard. RV just completed major track changes and it's been turned around counterclockwise! Hope to see ya there!
We'll be out there in a couple of weeks. That's cool about the rm, we'll have to get out there on those 125's and tear it up!! Can't wait to get back out there!

Post a reply to: 1997 yz 125

The Latest