1987 cr80 runs like shit

liamjumper
Just picked up a 1987 cr80 for dirt cheap cause it runs like shit. The bike wont open up at all. Idles fine and sounds good at idle and feel like it has good compression but when you open up the throttle it just won't hit the power. I pulled the carb apart and cleaned it real well, moved the clip to the reccomended spot, looked up stock jetting for it and realized the jets were way off so I ordered stock jets, put those in and it still runs the same. Anyone have any idea what it could be? Put fresh fluids in and fresh sparkplug.
|
Bruneval
8/11/2016 1:56pm
Some things to help the process of elimination:

1. Check the state of the reeds.
2. Are you sure it has good compression? For the sake of a few gaskets and a piston ring, it would be worth pulling the cylinder just to eliminate this. You could just pull the pipe and look through the exhaust port.
3. Does it have an air leak? Carb boot causing it to run lean?
4. Is it smoking? Bad crank seal?
5. Check electrical connections and earths.

From what you describe, my money would be on the spark is breaking down under load, most likely the stator.
8/11/2016 8:33pm
Air filter clean , in good shape ? Check the silencer , could be plugged with saturated packing or carbon. Pull it off and see if it runs any better.

Post a reply to: 1987 cr80 runs like shit

The Latest