1987 Honda CR250R complete restoration; lots of pics, advice appreciated

Growboxracers
Edited Date/Time 8/18/2020 12:02pm
Hey everybody, I decided to do another bike (last one was a 2008 RM250), cant get bikes out of my blood!

Anyway, the bike of choice this time is a 1987 Honda CR250R. I am planning on doing a to the frame, RJ type replica with USD forks. I have already been working on this for a month so am catching everybody up. I have a brand new 89 CR250R aluminum side case that I will be putting on, any guidance on that will be appreciated.

Here are a few pics of my CR when it first arrived. I purchased this from CA, total cost to my door in WI was $1775, not cheap but not too bad for a semi clean running bike.

|
Growboxracers
3/27/2015 7:58pm
Compression was 160 so I decided to start my beast before tear down, sounds pretty good.

And here is the video!

Growboxracers
3/27/2015 8:05pm
Let the teardown begin!

I will be yanking out this pre filter somebody installed.

The boss surveying my work lol

Growboxracers
3/27/2015 8:08pm
I picked up some color matched powder coat... the frame came out pretty good!

The Shop

pete24
3/27/2015 9:06pm
im pretty sure a period correct PC silencer was held together with a snap ring in the back not rivets,,,,,, i search every day for one for my 94 RM
Growboxracers
3/27/2015 11:04pm
pete24 wrote:
im pretty sure a period correct PC silencer was held together with a snap ring in the back not rivets,,,,,, i search every day for one...
im pretty sure a period correct PC silencer was held together with a snap ring in the back not rivets,,,,,, i search every day for one for my 94 RM
Not looking to go that crazy; I want a good running, super clean bike but I am not going to be THAT anal about it lol
pete24
3/28/2015 5:44am
pete24 wrote:
im pretty sure a period correct PC silencer was held together with a snap ring in the back not rivets,,,,,, i search every day for one...
Not looking to go that crazy; I want a good running, super clean bike but I am not going to be THAT anal about it lol
sweet nothing like a good bike that makes you happy, im just a little weird
3/28/2015 6:47am
Looks good so far! I'm a bit surprised you ditched the stock forks. Those forks are some of the best ever strapped to an MX machine. I'd have them rebuilt and then enjoy a very plush ride.
Growboxracers
3/28/2015 7:07am Edited Date/Time 3/28/2015 7:08am
Looks good so far! I'm a bit surprised you ditched the stock forks. Those forks are some of the best ever strapped to an MX machine...
Looks good so far! I'm a bit surprised you ditched the stock forks. Those forks are some of the best ever strapped to an MX machine. I'd have them rebuilt and then enjoy a very plush ride.
I am going for something a little different, that 87 RJ look is what I am shooting for. I debated going with a set of WP forks from that era but decided on the 93 CR500 forks instead (got a good deal on the entire fork/clamp setup).

I am for sure rebuilding the original forks and will keep them on the side just in case I want to try them out. FYI before reassembly I am sending my suspension out to Pro Circuit (93 Forks and stock shock) but will be keeping the originals with their stock valving.

Anybody have any leads on an Ohlins or Fox Twin clicker shock and/or a Pro Circuit Works Swingarm for this bike? I am sure they will be next to impossible to find...
Growboxracers
3/28/2015 7:11am Edited Date/Time 3/28/2015 7:11am
They key to making this project work; a 1989 right side cover. I know I have to do a few changes, not sure if I have it handled, I will be doing some research on the forum for help.

Growboxracers
3/28/2015 7:13am
Bruce372 wrote:
cool bike!!!! thats a great price too!
Thanks! I thought I over paid a little but after looking around it seems like I got a fair deal.
Bruce372
3/28/2015 7:46am
Bruce372 wrote:
Thanks! I thought I over paid a little but after looking around it seems like I got a fair deal.
Well, when you decide to sell it, let me know and I will drive up from Illinois andover pay you for it by the same amount you feel you over paid ! Smile

Do me favour and keep hold of all the stock parts.

Mine and my 1988 both rotted through the water pump case; when I clicked your YouTube, the next vid that came up was a 1987 cr500 rebuild and his cases were rotten too...he did a nice reweld job
3/28/2015 10:05am
Well, Growbox, you gotta do what you gotta do, but those are the best stock forks I've ever had. I had an 87, and wish I still had it.

I understand pros wanting USD forks, but for weekend racers, the old style were more plush, and those 87 forks were the plushest of the plush. In my opinion, Honda has STILL not equaled those 87 cartridge forks. Anyhow, have fun and I look forward to more pictures of the build!
3/28/2015 3:44pm Edited Date/Time 3/28/2015 3:45pm
The build looks great, forks and all. What happened with the RMs? Those were nice too
Growboxracers
3/28/2015 3:51pm
The build looks great, forks and all. What happened with the RMs? Those were nice too
Well I went down hard, wound up in the hospital so sold my 08, my business partner still has his 06.

You know how it is, two years off and you start thinking "maybe I will redo a bike and ride it once in a blue moon, just for a hobby"

Ya right, it never works out that way lol
Growboxracers
3/28/2015 3:55pm Edited Date/Time 3/28/2015 6:25pm
I always wanted an 87 CR250, I picked this brochure up from my local dealer when I was 17 years old and I still have it. Back in 92 I actually had another 87 CR250, broomed it after a summer of riding, not sure why...

Pic of my 87 first CR250 in my bedroom, circa 1992!
3/28/2015 4:08pm
Well I went down hard, wound up in the hospital so sold my 08, my business partner still has his 06. You know how it is...
Well I went down hard, wound up in the hospital so sold my 08, my business partner still has his 06.

You know how it is, two years off and you start thinking "maybe I will redo a bike and ride it once in a blue moon, just for a hobby"

Glad you're still finding enjoyment with it. It's always cool to see old bikes getting built and loved. Even when they’re not that old like your 08
Growboxracers
3/28/2015 6:16pm
Well I went down hard, wound up in the hospital so sold my 08, my business partner still has his 06. You know how it is...

Glad you're still finding enjoyment with it. It's always cool to see old bikes getting built and loved. Even when they’re not that old like your...
Glad you're still finding enjoyment with it. It's always cool to see old bikes getting built and loved. Even when they’re not that old like your 08
I am addicted lol
Growboxracers
3/28/2015 6:21pm Edited Date/Time 3/28/2015 6:23pm
Ok. On a whim I picked up a set of 05 YZ250F Titanium Footpegs as a hot tip said they were a drop in fit. Well, ya kinda. They fit great but have a 5 degree tip up so off to my buddies machine shop they go. FYI the stock pegs weigh one pound total while the yzf pegs weigh 1/8 lb total; not to mention the yz pegs are twice as wide, nice!

You can see the tip up in this pic
Growboxracers
3/28/2015 6:27pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Bruce372 wrote:
Well, when you decide to sell it, let me know and I will drive up from Illinois andover pay you for it by the same amount...
Well, when you decide to sell it, let me know and I will drive up from Illinois andover pay you for it by the same amount you feel you over paid ! Smile

Do me favour and keep hold of all the stock parts.

Mine and my 1988 both rotted through the water pump case; when I clicked your YouTube, the next vid that came up was a 1987 cr500 rebuild and his cases were rotten too...he did a nice reweld job
I have a source for brand new OEM 89 Honda right side covers, I know they have at least two left. Let me know if you need the hookup braaaaap!
CamP
3/29/2015 5:34am Edited Date/Time 3/29/2015 5:35am
They key to making this project work; a 1989 right side cover. I know I have to do a few changes, not sure if I have...
They key to making this project work; a 1989 right side cover. I know I have to do a few changes, not sure if I have it handled, I will be doing some research on the forum for help.

You will need to grind/relieve the power valve spring pocket to prevent the spring from rubbing as the powervalve swings through it's arc. Compare your old cover against your new cover, then carefully grind the 89 cover in the are circled in red.

Growboxracers
3/29/2015 8:20am Edited Date/Time 3/29/2015 8:29am
They key to making this project work; a 1989 right side cover. I know I have to do a few changes, not sure if I have...

CamP wrote:
You will need to grind/relieve the power valve spring pocket to prevent the spring from rubbing as the powervalve swings through it's arc. Compare your old...
You will need to grind/relieve the power valve spring pocket to prevent the spring from rubbing as the powervalve swings through it's arc. Compare your old cover against your new cover, then carefully grind the 89 cover in the are circled in red.

Thanks for the tip! I have been doing a bunch of research, is it true I will need some extra parts? I have them, just don't know if I need to use them.

90084-KF9-900 (alternator cap cover) and part number 91303-377-000 (o ring for alternator cap)

Do I need those?

Also I am concerned about adjusting my powervalves after the new cases are on, any tips? I found some conflicting info, here is what others had to say....

"There is a caveat to using the 89 though. The HPP Power valve is notoriously hard to adjust and maintain. I imagine there are a lot of these CR's around that run poorly because the power valves are not adjusted correctly. When you use an 89 right side case with the 87 water pump and center cases you lose the ability to disengage the power valve governor mechanism externally (which is why there is a access cap on the 89 and a threaded hole on the 87). The only way to reinstall the cylinder with the power valve actuation arm is to remove the right side case, drop the cylinder into place and match up the power valve actuator arm and then reinstall the right side case. I spent many hours getting the power valve adjusted correctly and then had to remove the right side case to install the cylinder because of this issue."

then somebody responded...

"Instead of removing the side cover in order to install the cylinder, why can't you just leave the side cover installed? Then, when you go to install the cylinder, hold the powervalves closed as you drop the cylinder onto the cases. That is how I did it before and after the "89 model side case upgrade

They should be closed anyway. If you have to hold them closed there is something wrong. Chances are the shaft splines are not lined up right when you dropped them into the cylinder which would cause them to not close completely."

then the first guy said...

"I am going to have to respectfully disagree. When the cylinder is not on the engine, the valves will naturally be in the open position. On the 1986 and 1987 CR250, the only thing holding the power valves closed is the governor shaft that comes up from the water pump area. If you remove the cylinder from the engine cases, the power valves should snap open immediately. Basically, on these models, the governor shaft is the only thing that closes the power valves. Conversley, the powervalve springs in the top of the cylinder are the only things that open the valves. There is no mechanical connection between the governor shaft and the powervalve rack that can "pull" the power valves open. Again, this is in reference to the 1986 and 1987 models only."

It seems to me that a person can hold the valves closed while dropping on the cylinder. You adjust the valves before installation correct?

Help! I really want my powervalves adjusted correctly, thanks so much!

Growboxracers
3/29/2015 10:41am

CamP wrote:
You will need to grind/relieve the power valve spring pocket to prevent the spring from rubbing as the powervalve swings through it's arc. Compare your old...

Ok, I pulled my old one apart just to figure out what is going on. I see what you are talking about, do I need to remove the entire "tab" to match the old cover or just trim it down a little on the inside, leaving the tab in place only thinner?

Also do I need to use the old "cup" around the spring in the new cover or just ditch the spring cup?

One more thing. I don't get what the bolt is for on the old cover, the one that goes through the cover and puts pressure on the spring cup. Why is it even there? How does not having this affect my motor?

Thanks so much for the help, you are saving me mucho headaches.
CamP
3/29/2015 10:53am
Relieve/chamfer the 89 cover spring pocket just enough to keep the spring from hitting it after the governor is assembled, and when using your hands to push it through it's stroke. It will take 2 or 3 attempts if you are conservative and go slow at the grinding. Don't worry about the screw on the old cover.

Growboxracers
3/29/2015 11:07am Edited Date/Time 3/29/2015 11:09am
CamP wrote:
Relieve/chamfer the 89 cover spring pocket just enough to keep the spring from hitting it after the governor is assembled, and when using your hands to...
Relieve/chamfer the 89 cover spring pocket just enough to keep the spring from hitting it after the governor is assembled, and when using your hands to push it through it's stroke. It will take 2 or 3 attempts if you are conservative and go slow at the grinding. Don't worry about the screw on the old cover.

So use the old aluminum cup that goes around the spring? Or don't reuse it?

Thanks again for the help

Post a reply to: 1987 Honda CR250R complete restoration; lots of pics, advice appreciated

The Latest