16 KTM Dream Build- Round 3

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
11/18/2016 10:28pm
Idp57 wrote:
Thanks for the gear.What's wrong with 2nd and 4th gear?!Mine is around 72 hours...do I need to worry about it
I don't know if there's anything specifically wrong with those gears. I think for some reason those are the ones that broke most often with the...
I don't know if there's anything specifically wrong with those gears. I think for some reason those are the ones that broke most often with the supercross kids. While my bottom end was getting rebuilt I told Twisted to just replace anything that that has potential to ruin the engine. Once they were in there it was fairly cheap ya know.
Idp57 wrote:
Yeah , my way of thinking too :-). I'm thinking to send my engine to TZR to check it since I'm not going to ride next...
Yeah , my way of thinking too :-). I'm thinking to send my engine to TZR to check it since I'm not going to ride next six months.Did they found any unusual wear inside the engine(piston,cylinder,gearbox),I'm asking because friend of mine told me that they can easily go for 100 hours!?Go wonder!,,
I used rotella T oil since day 1 and he said everything was in great condition. I few wear parts here and there. I didn't even check the valves for the first 50 hours. Did the engine and put 25 hours with the high comp piston. Then full rebuild at 75 when I was out getting my shoulder fixed. They said just keep doing what I'm doing, oil changes and clean air filters. I hope to keep this bike for another year or 2 and upgrade when KTM release a new chassis.

I did switch out the fuel pump because some have a kink in it, if you ever land hard and feel power lose that could be the problem.

A big thing you can check is your shift stop. It's beside the clutch basket. Mine broke off but luckly got stuck before it fell into my bottom end. Can you see where it broke and how it got stuck? Crazy!

Ktm 5
11/18/2016 10:43pm Edited Date/Time 11/19/2016 12:31am
Wow you got lucky...is the high comp pistons good for about 25hrs? Is that the life cycles of them? The oem one would have lasted us all season, about 90 hrs and now planning on a full rebuild. New to 4 strokes so I'm trying to learn all I can cause my son will be racing motocross 250 A next yr

Ps. How are you going to fix shifter stop?
Idp57
Fantasy
2612th
11/19/2016 5:39am
How the heck that happened!?And...how the heck did you fixed it!?That's crazy!!
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
11/19/2016 5:58am
Ktm 5 wrote:
Wow you got lucky...is the high comp pistons good for about 25hrs? Is that the life cycles of them? The oem one would have lasted us...
Wow you got lucky...is the high comp pistons good for about 25hrs? Is that the life cycles of them? The oem one would have lasted us all season, about 90 hrs and now planning on a full rebuild. New to 4 strokes so I'm trying to learn all I can cause my son will be racing motocross 250 A next yr

Ps. How are you going to fix shifter stop?
The engine builder at Twisted Devolopment reccomends 25 hour inspection with this engine package. Rings and valve check at least when we hit the 25hour mark, the inspect the piston at that point. I'm not an "A racer" so I can do 30 hours and be safe.

As far as the shift stop, you don't really need it because it's just a part that is in the middle of the case. We actually had a little tab welded on the shift lever so I tops out on a different part of the case. Just grind it down until you get the range needed. This was a total random thing, has nothing to do with the engine mods, just hard upshifting. Definitely got crazy lucky!

The Shop

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
11/20/2016 10:35pm
I know a lot of KTM and Husky guys use frame grip instead of the plastic guards. I've been use stuff from Squid Decals. This set lasted 6 hours... not amazing but much longer than other brands that would hold up for 1 moto...

Ktm 5
11/21/2016 4:42pm
My son was really jealous when he saw u had the Orange front airbox. He has the back half and he said that was hard to find and couldn't find the front piece...lol. Really sweet bike you are building I can't wait to build our this winter
OR Racer46
Fantasy
843rd
11/22/2016 7:55pm
Looks great Joe. How is your shoulder doing ? Mine has been a disaster . Sold my 350 and will be picking up a 17 soon .
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
11/22/2016 10:21pm
OR Racer46 wrote:
Looks great Joe. How is your shoulder doing ? Mine has been a disaster . Sold my 350 and will be picking up a 17 soon...
Looks great Joe. How is your shoulder doing ? Mine has been a disaster . Sold my 350 and will be picking up a 17 soon .
Dam, bummer to hear! Knock on wood, things are feeling solid. It's been just over 4months and been able to ride 6 days on my 125 so far. I don't have full range but I'm not sure if it will be back for another few months or maybe even a year. But either way I'm happy to be cruising around!
TSCHAM101
11/23/2016 9:38am
Damn man, what do you do for work? are they hiring?? you have a ton of money thrown at these bikes, and im jealous.
MOTO120
11/23/2016 9:49am
Joe,
Have you re-routed those throttle cables yet? Curious how it turns out and what exact cables you end up using. Looking awesome by the way!!!
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
11/23/2016 10:14pm
TSCHAM101 wrote:
Damn man, what do you do for work? are they hiring?? you have a ton of money thrown at these bikes, and im jealous.
Hahhaha, if you search for the rights deals it's not as expensive as you think. Just gotta be a bargain buyerEvil
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
11/23/2016 10:15pm
MOTO120 wrote:
Joe,
Have you re-routed those throttle cables yet? Curious how it turns out and what exact cables you end up using. Looking awesome by the way!!!
Hey sorry I haven't done any work on the 250f because I've been able to ride my 125 Hahhaha. The part numbers I gave you were from my friend who put them on his 16 450. So it will work.
Ktm 5
11/24/2016 11:25am
How hard was it checking and replacing fuel pump? I've heard it was a pain in the a$$ but never attempted it myself
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
11/24/2016 6:25pm
Ktm 5 wrote:
How hard was it checking and replacing fuel pump? I've heard it was a pain in the a$$ but never attempted it myself
It's not very hard but takes a bit of patience putting it back it. The most obvious characteristic of the kinked pump line is if you land hard, the bike cutting out, like power loss not a electrical cutting out.

The way I put the new one was by pushing safety wire from hole where the fuel line attaches to the pump thru the tank to where you insert the pump. Wire it around the threads on the pump so you can guide it back into place once you push it in. That make sense?
Ktm 5
11/24/2016 7:29pm
A little, I'm sure it'll make more sense if I have to ever take it apart
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
11/24/2016 11:31pm
Ktm 5 wrote:
A little, I'm sure it'll make more sense if I have to ever take it apart
Basically the wire just helps pull it thru the tank and into place because your hand can't fit in the tank.

But maybe don't go down that road unless you have a problem with it.
Ktm 5
11/25/2016 7:56am
Did u ever post a video on the 250f?
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
11/25/2016 8:41am
Ktm 5 wrote:
We have it all done, just having the whole post built up now. ML should have it up soon!
Ktm 5
11/25/2016 4:21pm
Where can I get the stronger tranny gears for the 250sxf? Thank u
11/25/2016 4:46pm
Ktm 5 wrote:
I don't think you can. Outside of buying an unobtainable works ktm transmission.

Clayton from trick engineering isf super finished, and shot peened my rm 125 transmission to improve shifting and transmission gear durability.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
11/25/2016 5:03pm
Ktm 5 wrote:
I don't think you can. Outside of buying an unobtainable works ktm transmission. Clayton from trick engineering isf super finished, and shot peened my rm 125...
I don't think you can. Outside of buying an unobtainable works ktm transmission.

Clayton from trick engineering isf super finished, and shot peened my rm 125 transmission to improve shifting and transmission gear durability.
Yeah I don't think there's any "strong gears". You could get a factory tranny for like $2,500. I'd imagine if you replace the gears hopefully they fixed any strength issue.

It's pretty cheap to have the tranny polished/ISF once it's out. So why not! EvilEvil
Ktm 5
11/25/2016 9:53pm Edited Date/Time 11/25/2016 9:56pm
We'll thats a bummer. I thought I had seen somewhere a guy who had a solid gear that wasn't cut out but don't remember where. I must have a good tranny then because we have 70hrs on it and no problems yet. Thanks for the info.
What is the purpose of eliminating the rear brake master cylinder sight glass?
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
11/25/2016 11:45pm
Ktm 5 wrote:
We'll thats a bummer. I thought I had seen somewhere a guy who had a solid gear that wasn't cut out but don't remember where. I...
We'll thats a bummer. I thought I had seen somewhere a guy who had a solid gear that wasn't cut out but don't remember where. I must have a good tranny then because we have 70hrs on it and no problems yet. Thanks for the info.
What is the purpose of eliminating the rear brake master cylinder sight glass?
My bike has 75 hours and no tranny isssue either. We just replaced a few gears while the whole thing was apart to be safe.

The point of removing the sight glass is so a rock doesn't break it during a race and you lose your fluid. I did it for the factory look because I was having it coated anyways. Trick Eng did it for like $50 or $60.
XC706
Fantasy
668th
12/5/2016 7:57pm
Checked out the vid on your bike Joe, looks killer, nice job. I have the XCF 250 with a few mods, awesome bike.
12/6/2016 1:27am
Joe, have you sorted the issue with the carb/ boot touching the spring?

I remember long ago on the YZ125, the carb touched the engine cases this caused vibration which made the fuel froth and the bikes leaned out.

I hope you don't have a similar issue?
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
12/6/2016 7:16am
Joe, have you sorted the issue with the carb/ boot touching the spring? I remember long ago on the YZ125, the carb touched the engine cases...
Joe, have you sorted the issue with the carb/ boot touching the spring?

I remember long ago on the YZ125, the carb touched the engine cases this caused vibration which made the fuel froth and the bikes leaned out.

I hope you don't have a similar issue?
No problems with the airboot touching the spring. Been riding and everything is good, when on sitting on the bike the shock actually moves away from the boot. It will only touch slightly when the wheels are off the ground.
12/6/2016 7:30am
MOTO120 wrote:
Joe,
Hey sorry I haven't done any work on the 250f because I've been able to ride my 125 Hahhaha. The part numbers I gave you were...
Hey sorry I haven't done any work on the 250f because I've been able to ride my 125 Hahhaha. The part numbers I gave you were from my friend who put them on his 16 450. So it will work.
I was the one that gave Joe the part numbers as I've done it on my 450.....if you need pics or anything just let me know.

Joe....you've officially passed my state of crazy. I want to ride that 125!
Ktm 5
12/6/2016 4:06pm
Very sweet video and write up. I noticed you couldn't get away from monthly or just past monthly tear downs at 25 hr intervals, so I was wondering if that was the only way to get that kind of power was with shorter tear downs? I know in stock form there was no need to tear down till the end of the season. Just trying to figure out everything before I call anyone or dive into our build since that's going to happen in the next few weeks. One other thing also I've tried to find the hinson clutch you put in your bike, to help the tranny, but for some reason have had no luck. Thanx for everything
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
12/6/2016 9:58pm
Ktm 5 wrote:
Very sweet video and write up. I noticed you couldn't get away from monthly or just past monthly tear downs at 25 hr intervals, so I...
Very sweet video and write up. I noticed you couldn't get away from monthly or just past monthly tear downs at 25 hr intervals, so I was wondering if that was the only way to get that kind of power was with shorter tear downs? I know in stock form there was no need to tear down till the end of the season. Just trying to figure out everything before I call anyone or dive into our build since that's going to happen in the next few weeks. One other thing also I've tried to find the hinson clutch you put in your bike, to help the tranny, but for some reason have had no luck. Thanx for everything
Yeah I'm not sure how to get away with longer maintance intervals. I'm sure I can go 30 hours because I'm not hard on my bikes like a true racer. Twisted Development who did the engine builds race bikes for race kids, so I'm sure the 25hour intervals are to keep riders safe, I bet it can last longer.

The Hinson clutch isn't on their site yet because it was just released. I'd call them and ask for it. It was designed from the style of the 450 clutch, just made to fit smaller bikes. I'm not just tooting anyone's horns when I say this, but there is a very noticeable difference on starts and the pull out of corners with this new clutch kit. it just grabs and tractors a bit more instead of get that hard hit with the tire spin.

Post a reply to: 16 KTM Dream Build- Round 3

The Latest