09 kx450f problems & advice

Related:
Create New Tag

12/23/2015 1:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/10/2016 2:22 AM

I personally have a problem with my 09 kx450f not sure what is going on, hoping maybe someone more experienced or that has had a similar problem. My bike is not kick starting but it will bump start but won't idle at all. I'm pretty sure it's my valve clearance and possibly a bad cam chain and tensioner too, because it has jumped time a handful of times.

|

12/23/2015 1:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/10/2016 2:22 AM

Any advice?

|

12/23/2015 1:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/23/2015 1:58 PM

You say you're a mechanic, did you buy a service manual?

Most likely it is a valve clearance issue, or lack of.

|

-streets-

12/23/2015 2:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/23/2015 2:10 PM

Yes lol auto as in cars and trucks and yes I have a PDFs manual. OH and thanks for your opinion

|

12/23/2015 2:29 PM

valve clearance, bump start is always the tell tale sign

|

12/23/2015 2:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/23/2015 2:33 PM

xXColtXx wrote:

Yes lol auto as in cars and trucks and yes I have a PDFs manual. OH and thanks for your opinion

BRO, if a modern 4-stroke is hard to Kickstart but can be bump started it's 100% a valve issue 60% of the time. $10 bucks says your intake shims have no clearance. You could have bought 2 complete Hotcam shim kits for the cost of that stator you didn't need......

|

Washed up moto and enduro weekend warrior.

12/23/2015 3:19 PM

xXColtXx wrote:

MxKing809 wrote:

BRO, if a modern 4-stroke is hard to Kickstart but can be bump started it's 100% a valve issue 60% of the time. $10 bucks says your intake shims have no clearance. You could have bought 2 complete Hotcam shim kits for the cost of that stator you didn't need......

The stator did need replaced it was bad I checked it. It had an open lead and shortened. But I replaced with a used one which makes me wonder if that The replacement one is not good either. But there was a big difference between the two.The old would NOT START AT ALL. The replacement WILL BUMB START which is what's leads me to think maybe the stator is good and I just need to check my valve clearance or something else that I'm not aware off.

|

12/23/2015 8:33 PM

If the cam chain was slipping time you need to address that issue before it explodes. Tensioner or chain needs replaced check the teeth on the crank as well. You have to remove the flywheel to replace it.

|

12/27/2015 11:49 PM

I just went through hell with the same with my 09 Kawi 450 I never tried to bump start it though. luckily I had pretty much every spare part known to man minus a stator. I swapped computer,fuel pump,coil,spark plug,throttle body,throttle body wiring harness,rectifier and I was getting ready to buy a new stator but I decided to swap the front wiring harness (kill switch,coil,rectifier etc.) first and it fired right up and ran fine every since. So I would take a very close look at that harness. Mine would start sometimes and the idle was kinda weird but then sometimes it wouldn't start. It must've had a bad connection or a pinched wire somewhere I didn't care enough to go through the harness and inspect it. Hope this helps

|

"You must always push the limits. Because if you never fail, you will never succeed.

12/28/2015 3:50 AM

First thing, check your valve clearances, it's the first thing that should be checked if your bike is hard to start. 2nd thing take your cam chain and throw it to the shit house and replace it with a new one, If it's skipping teeth its fucked and all it will end up doing is completely stuffing your motor.

|

12/28/2015 12:34 PM

Thanks for the for all the advice guys. I guess we all agree that the cam chain needs replaced lol. I'm going to check the valve clearance when I get a chance. I've checked the wiring harness etc.. a few times now.

|

12/28/2015 12:46 PM

xXColtXx wrote:

Thanks for the for all the advice guys. I guess we all agree that the cam chain needs replaced lol. I'm going to check the valve clearance when I get a chance. I've checked the wiring harness etc.. a few times now.

Not denying that you should replace the timing chain you should do that anyway but I also had checked my harness multiple times I did voltage drops and checked resistance on everything I'm also an automotive technician and I never found a single problem according to the specs Kawasaki provided job the service manual but I still swapped the harness just for shit and giggles and it fixed my problem

|

"You must always push the limits. Because if you never fail, you will never succeed.

3/10/2016 1:44 AM

Figured I'd give y'all an update. Changed the timing chain and went to a manual tensioner, I also checked the valve clearance and my intake valves had zero clearance. Now shimmed to spec and assembled with fresh amsoil 10w40. She fired the first kick and it idles and sounds great! Thanks for all the advice guys!

|

3/10/2016 10:55 AM

If your intake valves "O"'d out, then the valves are streatching and you will need to replace them before they break.

Paw Paw

|

3/10/2016 10:16 PM

Paw Paw 271 wrote:

If your intake valves "O"'d out, then the valves are streatching and you will need to replace them before they break.

Paw Paw

Hey Paw Paw do valves really stretch? I know they move up cause of wear but do they literally stretch out length wise? You have measured this before?

|