02 YZ250 Front brake

Bguy85
3/20/2013 2:55pm Edited Date/Time 5/19/2013 4:49am
Anyone ever have an issue with squishy brakes? I've drained and bled the brakes and its all the same. I've ordered the master cylinder rebuild kit hoping this fixes it..

Anyone ever had a similar issue and had a remedy for it?
|
3/20/2013 4:37pm
I'm having the same problem on on my 2000 yz 250. I squeezed the lever really tight overnight with a zip ty and it seemed to make it feel a little bit firmer. It still does feel pretty weak but it was an improvement. I haven't attempted to bleed mine though because my bolts on my reservoir are stripped.
mx5471
3/20/2013 4:45pm
Those YZ brakes have always been that way. Been there. Rebuild the master cylinder, and get a stainless front brake line. Big difference.
Tracktor
3/20/2013 7:51pm Edited Date/Time 3/20/2013 7:52pm
Easy fix - Honda master cylinder and brake line off of ebay. I put one on every non Honda bike I own. Makes a word of difference. You should be able to find one of a later model CRF or Cr for around $50.................
3/21/2013 7:08am
How bad are they? Yeah, the Honda setup is a nice improvement but stock should still work well.

Try this when bleeding:

Remove reservoir cap
Open bleeder
With tire iron or similar tool force the pistons ALL the way in by pushing on the brake pad
Close bleeder and top off reservoir as you pump lever

Air gets trapped in the caliper and by doing this forces it out.

The Shop

IceMan446
3/21/2013 9:24am
I got a new style yamaha brake line off ebay for 35 bucks for my 04 YZ125.

Ran the line in the new routing style and bought the clamp that goes on the fork guard for the 05+ YZs and I have way better feel now. I had to drill one of the holds out to fit the new clamp but that was simple.

Yamaha front brakes really arent that great to begin with but that should help a little bit.

You could also do like others have said and either switch over to the Honda stuff, or go get an oversized rotor and bracket along with the new style routing and you will be set.

Check the homepage, take a look at the one they featured. It got some good reviews and is priced nicely compared to other brands.
Bguy85
3/21/2013 9:43am
In regards to how bad are they.. they are not HORRIBLE.. but my brothers YZ250f has WAY better brakes than mine and his is all stock. But i'll look in to the new brake line, I've already ordered the guts of the cylinder so hopefully that helps some.. I'm not fast enough to need everything it has, but it definitely needs improvement .

Thanks for the tips.
3/21/2013 8:31pm
IceMan446 wrote:
I got a new style yamaha brake line off ebay for 35 bucks for my 04 YZ125. Ran the line in the new routing style and...
I got a new style yamaha brake line off ebay for 35 bucks for my 04 YZ125.

Ran the line in the new routing style and bought the clamp that goes on the fork guard for the 05+ YZs and I have way better feel now. I had to drill one of the holds out to fit the new clamp but that was simple.

Yamaha front brakes really arent that great to begin with but that should help a little bit.

You could also do like others have said and either switch over to the Honda stuff, or go get an oversized rotor and bracket along with the new style routing and you will be set.

Check the homepage, take a look at the one they featured. It got some good reviews and is priced nicely compared to other brands.
That sounds like the way to go. I'm going to find the cheapest way I can to get the cr routing. I have my eye on a couple different parts on eBay. Is this the bracket I would need to switch to cr routing?
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
3/22/2013 4:15pm
Yep, that's it.
You must also do one of two things: get aftermarket fork sliders for your bike with the "CR-style" brake routing bracket holes, or trim the original ones so they'll work. I used to do that on my older YZs. Use snips to cut off most of the plastic that makes a "U" shape, and then drill holes through it so it becomes a bracket. Make sure to use a locknut behind your bolts.
JCollins762
3/25/2013 11:15am
A buddy of mine had some trouble out of his, just couldn't seem to get it bled the way he wanted.

1.Turned out we had to bleed it in an odd way..

2.Removed the master cylinder cover,

3.Injected oil with a syringe and a hose from the bleeder at the caliper.

Once the oil had reached and filled the master cylinder, I put the cover back on it.

From there I continued to stiffen the brakes by

1. Closing the bleeder, then checking to see how they felt

IF they were too spongey

I opened the bleeder and injected fluid

IF they were too stiff

I opened the bleeder and let a little drip out.

It was different from what I was used to, but it worked, ended up with a nice touchy brake when all was said and done.
Bguy85
3/26/2013 8:22am
A buddy of mine had some trouble out of his, just couldn't seem to get it bled the way he wanted. 1.Turned out we had to...
A buddy of mine had some trouble out of his, just couldn't seem to get it bled the way he wanted.

1.Turned out we had to bleed it in an odd way..

2.Removed the master cylinder cover,

3.Injected oil with a syringe and a hose from the bleeder at the caliper.

Once the oil had reached and filled the master cylinder, I put the cover back on it.

From there I continued to stiffen the brakes by

1. Closing the bleeder, then checking to see how they felt

IF they were too spongey

I opened the bleeder and injected fluid

IF they were too stiff

I opened the bleeder and let a little drip out.

It was different from what I was used to, but it worked, ended up with a nice touchy brake when all was said and done.
Will definitely try this.. thanks
gooning2511
4/2/2013 8:19pm
you can buy a complete handa brake and just replace it, thats what i did.
i forget what year brake you need but it is way better than the stock brake
4/3/2013 11:42am Edited Date/Time 4/3/2013 3:55pm
Falcon wrote:
Yep, that's it. You must also do one of two things: get aftermarket fork sliders for your bike with the "CR-style" brake routing bracket holes, or...
Yep, that's it.
You must also do one of two things: get aftermarket fork sliders for your bike with the "CR-style" brake routing bracket holes, or trim the original ones so they'll work. I used to do that on my older YZs. Use snips to cut off most of the plastic that makes a "U" shape, and then drill holes through it so it becomes a bracket. Make sure to use a locknut behind your bolts.
I put a front brake assembly off an 02 cr250 on mine and I just fed the line through the existing guides on the fork guard. Is there any reason not to do that? I know it looks a little silly because the line isn't in there completely straight t but it seems like it will do the job. Also, did you take that lower plastic guard off too? I thought it looked a little goofy on there without a brake line but I didn't want my axle nut to get hit by a rock.
indy_maico
4/3/2013 1:47pm
The first time I rebuilt the m/cylinder on a 2003 YZ250 I could not get the lever to pump up to a hard feel.

Got out the trusty old Mityvac, problem solved. You won't regret buying one of these. Best $35 you ever spent.

tmauto769
Fantasy
1265th
4/5/2013 5:29pm
04+ crf's have a smaller carrier and caliper bolt spacing. The 04+ setup will work on the older yamaha's but you need the carrier in addition to the caliper. The 03 and older crf/cr caliper will bolt right on to the yamaha carrier. I put an 06 complete front brake system on an 03 yz250 and it made a huge difference.
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
4/8/2013 3:31pm
I had the same issue on my 02 yz before we put it in storage and never fixed it. That is another one for the to do list on my restoration.
Bguy85
4/9/2013 7:19am
Well i rebuilt the master cylinder and it helped quite a bit! Waiting on the my steel line to arrive and hopefully it helps a little more! Its getting there!
4/25/2013 4:46pm
I just got back from riding for the first time with a Honda front brake on my yz and man did it make a huge difference! My old brake was really mushy and needed to be bled but the new Honda brake is perfect for my "oh shit I'm going to go over the berm if I don't slam on the brakes" style.
Bguy85
4/26/2013 8:42am
Thanks for the update.. my master cylinder rebuild helped, but still no cigar.. Looks like Honda parts in my near future!
4/27/2013 10:24am
It took a little bit to get used to it but it's great to know its there when you need it. it really helped my corner entry speed even though I'm not fast at all.
Craze
5/19/2013 4:49am
Back bleeding works

Post a reply to: 02 YZ250 Front brake

The Latest